Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should Student-Athletes be paid for their name, image & likeness while scholarships?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
    Players can hire agents. Agents could bid for buying the exclusive rights for a player's revenue. Got a hot recruit you want to sign? Give that player the bid from the "agent" who's bankrolling the paying of players. This looks like it pretty much opens the door to just flat out buying players in the open market instead of through back door deals.
    This combined with the potential no-sit transfer rules (which now looks like at least a year away thank god) means you basically have free agency with no salary cap.

Like a player on another team. Get him signed up for an "endorsement" if he transfers.

Comment

• "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by wsushox1 View Post

Most players aren't going to earn that much.
          No, mostly Quarterbacks in football (certainly not Offensive Linemen). People who want to cheat will certainly find creative ways to get the players they want and this new policy will contribute to a bad system imo. I'm stillof the belief that athletes are students who make lots of money off of their scholarships, provided they care anything about school and put in the time. If you wish to pay them, take away their scholarships or give them a choice. I probably paid $60,000 for my family (kids) to go to school, and they worked some too, both during school and the summer. Now everyone wants to go free.
          Last edited by Shockm; April 30, 2020, 12:19 PM.

Comment

• Another symptom could be players playing for themselves to increase their values. Kind of like someone we all know, who just left the program

Comment

• This is going to be a cluster that will not improve the sport. Sit back and watch.

Comment

• West Virginia signs deal with brand consultant ahead of college athletes' potential ability for endorsements - Yahoo Sports

By Nick Bromberg
                May 7, 2020

https://sports.yahoo.com/as-athletes...145110635.html

"Expect a lot of schools to follow West Virginia’s lead as NCAA members prepare for their athletes to be able to get sponsor and endorsement income.

WVU’s football team announced Thursday that it had signed a deal with brand consultant Jeremy Darlow to help educate players on personal branding. The announcement comes in the wake of possible name, image and likeness changes by the NCAA to allow players to make money from third parties throughout their college careers...."

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShock Reaper View Post
                  West Virginia signs deal with brand consultant ahead of college athletes' potential ability for endorsements - Yahoo Sports

By Nick Bromberg
                  May 7, 2020

https://sports.yahoo.com/as-athletes...145110635.html

"Expect a lot of schools to follow West Virginia’s lead as NCAA members prepare for their athletes to be able to get sponsor and endorsement income.

WVU’s football team announced Thursday that it had signed a deal with brand consultant Jeremy Darlow to help educate players on personal branding. The announcement comes in the wake of possible name, image and likeness changes by the NCAA to allow players to make money from third parties throughout their college careers...."
                  In wording more easily understood, "WVU signs deal with agency to bid for FB players"
                  The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                  We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• So will this start the process of student athletes collecting income AND getting free schollies to play their sports?

Where and how does the NCAA envision this thing happening? How far does it go? Is it on an individual basis? Some players get more dollars for usage than others because of either popularity or perceived skill level? Is the amount uniformly applied to cover the entire team? Will Title IX play a role in this? Will all sports and all athetes be compensated? As the amount of monies increases, at what point does eall of this amount to a job? The school is the employer. If the school or some other associationn is paying monies to student athletes for usage, then wouldn't ALL of this be taxable at both Federal and State levels? Who will pay the Social Security and Med SS taxes? Will the employee (student) be responsible for both parts as usually an employer pays half. Would that not mean that all of the student athletes are self employed?

Uncle Sam will be entitled to a portion of this wouldn't they? I mean if the current system has players receiving straight-up cash payment no-record and no taxes paid, this will be good bu$ine$$ for federal and state government budgets. Are current cash payment players filing taxes on their monies? I doubt it. If this happens, it needs to be ABOVE BOARD and the income these kids receive (including scholarships) is the equivalent of being employed by someone, and lets get those 15% percentages back into federal and state budgets. Some of the scholarship (guessing) probably have a higher value than that 15% rate. And to keep it relevant to everything going on today....who pays the unemployment? Do they get to file for unemployment if they leave the school, are kicked out, or if the payments flat out cease?

Comment

• The NCAA is gonna have to come up with some rules on reporting income, or a cap, or some way to regulate it. I totally get allowing kids to go back to their hometown in the off-season to host a camp for extra money, but the ultra popular sports/athlete side of it is gonna be a real mess.

Comment

• Originally posted by JVShocker View Post
                        So will this start the process of student athletes collecting income AND getting free schollies to play their sports?

Where and how does the NCAA envision this thing happening? How far does it go? Is it on an individual basis? Some players get more dollars for usage than others because of either popularity or perceived skill level? Is the amount uniformly applied to cover the entire team? Will Title IX play a role in this? Will all sports and all athetes be compensated? As the amount of monies increases, at what point does eall of this amount to a job? The school is the employer. If the school or some other associationn is paying monies to student athletes for usage, then wouldn't ALL of this be taxable at both Federal and State levels? Who will pay the Social Security and Med SS taxes? Will the employee (student) be responsible for both parts as usually an employer pays half. Would that not mean that all of the student athletes are self employed?

Uncle Sam will be entitled to a portion of this wouldn't they? I mean if the current system has players receiving straight-up cash payment no-record and no taxes paid, this will be good bu$ine$$ for federal and state government budgets. Are current cash payment players filing taxes on their monies? I doubt it. If this happens, it needs to be ABOVE BOARD and the income these kids receive (including scholarships) is the equivalent of being employed by someone, and lets get those 15% percentages back into federal and state budgets. Some of the scholarship (guessing) probably have a higher value than that 15% rate. And to keep it relevant to everything going on today....who pays the unemployment? Do they get to file for unemployment if they leave the school, are kicked out, or if the payments flat out cease?

Nice rant!

Comment

• oh the end of the amateur model we all loved.

the college basketball experience in 5 years will be more like nba jr than what we know now. sad days for tradition.

Comment

• I think the idea of the amateur athlete as it concerns the high profile/elite programs has been dead for a long time. I have no problem with paying the athlete a stipend as long as everyone knew what the max allowed was. How schools are going to control individual athletes branding is not something I want to think about. Is the ability of a student athlete to profit from his name a separate proposal as in one or the other. I know WSU was prepared to pony up to match what was paid by the big boys as far as a stipend. Many schools were going to be on the outside looking in to be able to pay their athletes at that level.

Comment

• Zion Williamson's former marketing agent asks Williamson to admit he got illegal benefits to go to Duke - Yahoo Sports

By Chris Cwik
                              May 10, 2020

"New Orleans Pelicans star Zion Williamson is involved in a vicious battle with his former marketing agent. Gina Ford, the president of Prime Marketing Sports, has served requests for admissions asking Williamson to admit he received “money, benefits, favors or other things of value” to go to Duke, according to Daniel Wallach of The Athletic...."

Comment

• Originally posted by pogo View Post
                                I think the idea of the amateur athlete as it concerns the high profile/elite programs has been dead for a long time. I have no problem with paying the athlete a stipend as long as everyone knew what the max allowed was. How schools are going to control individual athletes branding is not something I want to think about. Is the ability of a student athlete to profit from his name a separate proposal as in one or the other. I know WSU was prepared to pony up to match what was paid by the big boys as far as a stipend. Many schools were going to be on the outside looking in to be able to pay their athletes at that level.
                                It’s not going to end with a stipend. There are numerous voices, some public, and local and others with a nationalized platform who are pushing for players to go to the highest bidding school/other entity and taking the word student out of student-athlete and basically changing it to professional. I think that in a relatively short period of time, the horse will be out of the barn and I don’t see how Wichita State will be able to hang with most of the schools who have P5 football. Schools like KSU will also struggle with it when that happens.

Comment

Working...
                                X