Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should Student-Athletes be paid for their name, image & likeness while scholarships?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post

Not real fond of this, but coach Marshall says it should benefit us, so guess I’ll keep an open mind.

Thank God were in the aac now. I think this is going to put a huge separation in talent levels between schools that have high exposure compared to those who don't.

Comment

• What would stop someone from paying a “student athlete” $5 per autograph and ordering 1000 autographs? You can tell them “I’ll take 1 autograph now, pay you for all 1000 now and you can give me the rest when you have time.......
      Marge: The plant called and said that if you don't come in tomorrow, don't bother coming in Monday.
      Homer: WOOHOO! Four day weekend.

Comment

• What would be interesting is if the NCAA capped it per school- meaning a big time players would have more incentive to go to smaller schools, or even tipped it in favor of the small schools by allowing non-BCS schools to use a percentage of football money for other sports. You could get some big time players going to places like WSU, UTEP, and KU, where they don’t have a football programs.
        People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• The old National Industrial Basketball League (Wichita Vickers) used to “hire” players to empty wastebaskets or be their chauffeur occasionally so they could play ball
          "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
          ---------------------------------------
          Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
          "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
          "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• Jay Bilas is still ruining college basketball.
            Deuces Valley.
            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• here is a look from another school, who will gain even more advantage than it already has. I like ggg, but I think he's wrong on this one. I hope I'm wrong though.

Comment

• Originally posted by Atxshoxfan View Post
                https://www.si.com/college/texas/the...ules-come-down
                here is a look from another school, who will gain even more advantage than it already has. I like ggg, but I think he's wrong on this one. I hope I'm wrong though.
                The thing for Gregg, or any coach really, is that you probably don't want to go on record as being opposed to this. What do you say to recruits when they know that you make millions of dollars as the coach, but opposed them making money off of their college careers? It is just bad optics, if nothing else and would be used against you in recruiting battles.

That said and setting aside the obvious importance of how such measures are actually worded, it may not be as unbalanced in favor of blue bloods as it might first appear. This is because we all know that those schools have been paying players under the table without consequence for forever, and every other school that does the same faces severe NCAA sanctions. For players looking to make the most money, WSU is already not beating a Kentucky or Duke. The fact that Duke can pay even more doesn't really change the dynamics much. WSU players being able to make some money would help lots of players for whom financial concerns are an issue, especially since our fan turnout means that there is a fanbase willing to spend on Wichita State affiliated basketball products.
                "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

• You guys might have to think bigger. What if I am a WSU alum and I live somewhere else. What would stop me from having a sports podcast and paying WSU players to do a voice over commercial? What if I have a business in the city he went to high school in. Could he do a commercial for me?

There are all kinds of fun things that might occur because of this.

Comment

• Originally posted by calfan View Post
                    You guys might have to think bigger. What if I am a WSU alum and I live somewhere else. What would stop me from having a sports podcast and paying WSU players to do a voice over commercial? What if I have a business in the city he went to high school in. Could he do a commercial for me?

There are all kinds of fun things that might occur because of this.
                    Exactly. That's why there really must be some parameters and limits. Otherwise the NCAA will just become an IRS nightmare with all kinds of headaches and scandal. If they go through with this...there's gonna have to be some sort of strict regulation. Do we really want to see college kids under that type of added scrutiny??? Total game changer. Potentially could destroy college sports as we know it.
                    FINAL FOURS:
                    1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                    1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                    Number of Times Ranked: 157
                    Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                    Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                    Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                    #3 - Dec. 2017
                    #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                    #2 ~ March 2014
                    Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• after some thought, i guess i’m okay with player being paid on their likeness, but they would need to cover the cost of their own education.

regardless, i have to side with greg ostertag.. the game of basketball - college and pro - has become almost unwatchable..

Comment

• Now it comes down to which school’s alumni want to shell out the most to have an athlete in their car dealership commercial. It will become part of the recruiting package to tell them which endorsements are already lined up.

Comment

• Originally posted by abdullah_sharif View Post
                          after some thought, i guess i’m okay with player being paid on their likeness, but they would need to cover the cost of their own education.

regardless, i have to side with greg ostertag.. the game of basketball - college and pro - has become almost unwatchable..
                          Most players aren't going to earn that much.
                          The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

• Originally posted by wsushox1 View Post

Most players aren't going to earn that much.
                            Just the important ones that we’re in recruiting battles to get

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                              Just the important ones that we’re in recruiting battles to get
                              We got Carlos O'Kelleys ... we good ...

Comment

• Players can hire agents. Agents could bid for buying the exclusive rights for a player's revenue. Got a hot recruit you want to sign? Give that player the bid from the "agent" who's bankrolling the paying of players. This looks like it pretty much opens the door to just flat out buying players in the open market instead of through back door deals.
                                The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                                We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Working...
                                X