No announcement yet.

2019-2020 Men’s Basketball Season Tickets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Listening to Carla Burns sing the anthem, fun halftime entertainment, decent concession prices, not having to put up with those stupid moneymakers, all contribute to the total experience. If all one wants is the game itself, it's on TV

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
    Listening to Carla Burns sing the anthem, fun halftime entertainment, decent concession prices, not having to put up with those stupid moneymakers, all contribute to the total experience. If all one wants is the game itself, it's on TV
    Oh Man! Carla Burns a Wichita legend. Went to grade school with her a few years. She had talent way back then. Go shocks.

Comment

My favorite half-time show was Quick Change (several times). But shows of that quality don't grow on trees and don't come cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

Who’s wishing for the opposite?
        Anyone unwilling to financially support the program right now. Not saying you need to buy season tickets, but if you think protesting by cutting financial support is a good idea, I offer a word of warning.
        "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

• abdullah_sharif
          abdullah_sharif commented
          Editing a comment
          thats why i love a free market system - not one manipulated by outside forces.

Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post

Anyone unwilling to financially support the program right now. Not saying you need to buy season tickets, but if you think protesting by cutting financial support is a good idea, I offer a word of warning.
        Everybody on here has stated that they are getting priced out of tickets. By that definition, that means they can’t afford it anymore. I’m not sure where anyone is protesting just to protest if they can still afford it.

However, if people think they aren’t getting a good overall experience based on the money they are forking over and feel they are kinda getting used, people aren’t gonna just accept it. That then becomes the responsibility of the athletic department to make it a better, more worthwhile experience, acting like they give a damn, instead of acting like a mortgage company expecting to just collect their monthly check.
        Deuces Valley.
        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• pie n eye
          pie n eye commented
          Editing a comment
          No one:

Shockerfev: blah blah blah blah I ***** about ever single thing possible.

• ShockerFever
          ShockerFever commented
          Editing a comment
          And you ***** about me. On command. A lot.

The athletic department is in love with mindless drones like yourself.

Fact: Attendance is down at College Basketball games everywhere on average for a variety of reasons
        Fact: Not being able to deduct scholarship support has hurt revenues especially at football dominant schools
        Fact: It is still the best entertainment in this town Oct-March by a mile, the substandard marketing and non game experience notwithstanding.

So while 500 tickets seem to be a lot left to sell, take into consideration the landscape around the nation and what it could be. I am not ready to call this a significant downturn of support based on rising prices but instead an indication of what we see around the country lessened by our community’s love for its team.

Comment

• abdullah_sharif
          Editing a comment
          it's like an exhaustion gap in the stock market. the building is mostly full and the money if slowing in but there is instability in the base and signs of trouble although things look really good to the casual observer. without a change, it'll soon show its ugly head.

cold - you're a trader too.. what do you think?

• C0|dB|00ded
          C0|dB|00ded commented
          Editing a comment
          I think Koch Arena attendance is like Apple stock; if you bought in at the turn of the century you are a happy, happy man. I suspect there's no point in selling either now.

Shocker basketball is a far cry from what it was in 1999. The administration is merely testing the upper limits of demand... as they should. Most likely there will be more net profit to the department with a few hundred seats empty than the alternative.

Welcome to big-time college athletics! Who here wishes we were still in the Valley? I'm pretty proud of the fact that a pair of seats on the floor goes for $25k (6 year old price).

I predicted all this nearly 20 years ago. The giant has awakened.

T

...:cool:

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
        Fact: Attendance is down at College Basketball games everywhere on average for a variety of reasons.
        That is true for sports in general.

Comment

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
          Fact: Attendance is down at College Basketball games everywhere on average for a variety of reasons
          Fact: Not being able to deduct scholarship support has hurt revenues especially at football dominant schools
          Fact: It is still the best entertainment in this town Oct-March by a mile, the substandard marketing and non game experience notwithstanding.

So while 500 tickets seem to be a lot left to sell, take into consideration the landscape around the nation and what it could be. I am not ready to call this a significant downturn of support based on rising prices but instead an indication of what we see around the country lessened by our community’s love for its team.
          I agree lax, which I think asses should be busting to maximize the value and/or make the experience a touch more affordable instead of gouging the fans left that are still attending games. Just being status quo and sitting back and calling it good is not smart business.
          Deuces Valley.
          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

I'd like to slap the snot outta some of you sometimes! Just kidding, but man oh man we have become kinda spoiled. I've been out of Wichita for 10 years and would LOVE to even have a chance to attend A game each year, much less have season tickets. I get that the production within the games hasn't been great, but jeez let's support the Shox.

Comment

• pinstripers
              pinstripers commented
              Editing a comment
              I guess you could mail a check

• B1ShockFan
              B1ShockFan commented
              Editing a comment
              I think most on here "support the Shox" but at what cost. Ticket prices keep going up and many of us are just getting priced out.

• MikeKennedyRulZ
              MikeKennedyRulZ commented
              Editing a comment
              Pin, too bad I can't mail you a slap...

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

Everybody on here has stated that they are getting priced out of tickets. By that definition, that means they can’t afford it anymore. I’m not sure where anyone is protesting just to protest if they can still afford it.

However, if people think they aren’t getting a good overall experience based on the money they are forking over and feel they are kinda getting used, people aren’t gonna just accept it. That then becomes the responsibility of the athletic department to make it a better, more worthwhile experience, acting like they give a damn, instead of acting like a mortgage company expecting to just collect their monthly check.
            Not everyone on here has stated they're getting priced out. There's a difference between legitimately not being able to afford it, and complaining about "game production" and "fan experience" and threatening to not buy tickets because a few aspects of going to a game aren't up to one's ludicrously high standards.

If you're a casual fan who enjoys basketball, then I will absolutely agree that the transactional nature of buying tickets and going to a game (the value one gets for one's money) should be your number one concern. But if you bleed black and yellow and are a supporter of the program, then the transactional nature should matter less. What you receive for your money is of secondary concern. It should be about supporting your program. That's what being a fan is--emotion, not dollars and cents.

If you can't afford tickets, I get it. But if you hold your fandom hostage because you don't like some freaking promos, then you sound more like an entitled baby than any "snowflake" some of y'all (also) complain about.

If I still lived in Wichita I'd have season tickets no questions asked. From a distance, I support the university and the program in other ways.
            "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

• pinstripers
              pinstripers commented
              Editing a comment
              Buy tickets

• JVShocker
              JVShocker commented
              Editing a comment
              [If you can't afford tickets, I get it. But if you hold your fandom hostage because you don't like some freaking promos, then you sound more like an entitled baby than any "snowflake" some of y'all (also) complain about.}

I don't know if anyone has specifically mentioned this is the reason they don't go to games. And yes, I agree with you.

Its just a criticism. I would also argue that the sound/audio/music levels at the arena are uneven and almost deafening depending on your seat location. Our last tix (row 4 off visitor bench - 6 tickets, were almost $10k a year. We HAD to give them up. We sat with the Wilsons (Kyle) for many seasons. I asked somebody about 5 years ago what they might cost, and they said "if you gotta ask". That was 5 years ago. I don't ask anymore. My daughterr is a Junior at WSU and gets me excellent seats for the price of a soda and a hot dog. :-)

2004: was happy to be able to afford season tickets
            2005-07: was happy to see the resurgence of shocker basketball
            2007: about drove off the road when the radio interrupted and announced that 3G would be our coach.. had followed him at winthrop for a few years
            2008-12: excited about the program and got involved, joined coaches club, saso board
            2013: final four year..all involved were stoked of the future potential. athletic department begins to see the $ signs. access to players was severely limited, players no longer signed autographs through the basketball office, but rather thru development for a fee, assistant coaches (friends with three (2 no longer here) became fundraising ambassadors to the program. no longer was it casually hanging out, they were to hang with the big money boosters. season ticket count grew to 11
            2015: was asked for more money, started to watch secondary market for tickets
            2016: perks of original coaches club agreement were broken by the university as the club membership grew with higher minimums. i won't mention names, but a few early members felt alienated. became concerned about value, offered assistance to athletic department.
            2017: season ticket count dropped to 6
            2019: dropped all 6 season tickets.

been around a while. there is a lot more than has been aired out here. we all care about the shockers and don't want 3G and his staff to go anywhere - but we need the athletic department to listen and get their heads out of their asses.
            Last edited by abdullah_sharif; August 9, 2019, 12:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post

Not everyone on here has stated they're getting priced out. There's a difference between legitimately not being able to afford it, and complaining about "game production" and "fan experience" and threatening to not buy tickets because a few aspects of going to a game aren't up to one's ludicrously high standards.

If you're a casual fan who enjoys basketball, then I will absolutely agree that the transactional nature of buying tickets and going to a game (the value one gets for one's money) should be your number one concern. But if you bleed black and yellow and are a supporter of the program, then the transactional nature should matter less. What you receive for your money is of secondary concern. It should be about supporting your program. That's what being a fan is--emotion, not dollars and cents.

If you can't afford tickets, I get it. But if you hold your fandom hostage because you don't like some freaking promos, then you sound more like an entitled baby than any "snowflake" some of y'all (also) complain about.

If I still lived in Wichita I'd have season tickets no questions asked. From a distance, I support the university and the program in other ways.
              So instead you’re asking the fans to be hostages to the university? That the athletic department can flub around all they want because your only goal should be to drop a decent chunk of your income for the better good of the university? Does that sound ass backward? If people just wanna give out money to give out money, more power to them. I understand that it helps the program and student athlete. At the same time, should I expect some effort to accommodate the fanbase? Newsflash: the majority of patrons of games are likely not diehards. In fact, most of the diehards are watching on the outside because they likely can’t afford to buy season tickets. This is made evident by the TBT and NIT home games, etc.

I just fail at this weird mindset you have that fans should be mindless drones and just empty their hard earned money into the coffers with no expectations at all or otherwise they’re not true WSU fans. That’s COMPLETELY asinine.
              Deuces Valley.
              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

So, as someone who doesn't have the option of purchasing ST's for WSU, but does for the Blazers, here's my 2 cents (worth even less).
                I am somewhat atypical, as I suspect most on this board are just by being here, in that I don't attend events for ANY reason but to watch the event. I dont' care about promos, free t-shirt giveaways, etc. I also refuse to leave a game early; I go to watch good basketball and some amazing plays happen late in a 20 point blowout. So, my purchase is based SOLELY on affordability. But, I recognize, that for some fans and the corporate entities, the experience IS the selling point to clients, guests, and sometimes themselves. I can't blame the AD for trying to get a little more $ by promos; I'll tolerate them even though they may annoy me. BUT, if the price goes too high, I will let my STH representative know that my purchase scale is tilting;maybe they lean on the corporate sponsers more than 'lil ol' me. That may result in MORE of the promos/signage/ etc that irritate me, but so be it; it's what it takes to keep me in the seat. I recognize I'm not gonna make a great impact, but I can only account for my own actions.

Comment

• pinstripers
                  pinstripers commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I can't believe they won't sell you tickets

• abdullah_sharif
                  Editing a comment
                  you mean that you have a season ticket rep?

pinstripers I'm sure they would, and I'd consider it, but I have an "outside influence" that warns me against that...
                abdullah_sharif I have one for the Blazers, yes. And the description of WSU games sounds VERY similar to NBA games.

Comment

I know this has been mentioned more than once by 1972Shocker but if you're one of the folks that's been priced out of men's basketball, might I suggest trying for just 1 season, supporting one of the other Shocker athletic programs at just 50% of what you were spending on men's basketball? If you can find the time to attend 1 team event and at least half of the home contests, I find it very hard to believe that in the end you won't enjoy tremendous satisfaction in the support you give.

I love the sport of basketball unlike any other and the thrills that program affords me, especially the last 15 or so years are unmatched, but the personal satisfaction and pride I get in supporting volleyball, baseball, softball and others means a lot more to me. Give it a shot folks.

Comment

• WuDrWu
                    WuDrWu commented
                    Editing a comment
                    No doubt about it 1972Shocker.

• WichitaHawk
                    WichitaHawk commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I wish we had men's or women's soccer. I'd be a season ticket holder in an instant! I played some WSU club ball while in in college and it was fun. I could only imagine how much fun having an actual team would be!

• JVShocker
                    JVShocker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    We go to Volleyball home games. I know at least one other person who would support men's soccer. Men's and women's swimming and diving, I know at least 4 people who would be all over it every meet.
                Working...
                X