No announcement yet.

2019-2020 Men’s Basketball Season Tickets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The term college experience comes up from time to time and I’m sure it means different things to different people. I have gone to games at other venues as well as campus courts and I haven’t seen anything different at those except organized less or the same as at our CKA. I would like to see a more family friendly pricing of food and soda ( beer and alcohol I’m not concerned with) but I’m at a loss as to what else would enhance MY college game experience. What would improve the experience in others opinion

Comment

Originally posted by pogo View Post
      The term college experience comes up from time to time and I’m sure it means different things to different people. I have gone to games at other venues as well as campus courts and I haven’t seen anything different at those except organized less or the same as at our CKA. I would like to see a more family friendly pricing of food and soda ( beer and alcohol I’m not concerned with) but I’m at a loss as to what else would enhance MY college game experience. What would improve the experience in others opinion
      I'd suggest youth basketball or youth soccer at halftime, but I miss halftime anyway having to relieve myself so I can stand in line to get another $5 diet pepsi (at least it's not coke). Doulbe the size of the band so we can hear it better and do away with piped-in "music." Of course, limit the enthusiam-stifling time out "competitions" -- bring back Cheerleaders leading cheers! Let the cheerleaders perform their routine and tumble down the floor.
      "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
      ---------------------------------------
      Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
      "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
      "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker_Power View Post

Also, how many of those games are going to be PPV on ESPN+?
        I don't know anything about ESPN+. How do you access it? Is it an extra package to pay for or do you pay each game.

Comment

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          Extra package

Originally posted by pogo View Post
        What other college venues have you been to?
        Deuces Valley.
        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• pie n eye
          pie n eye commented
          Editing a comment
          I’m not Pogo but I’ve been to games at KU, OSU, OU, CSU, Misery State, CRAYTON, Valley Tourney, and NCAA tourney. I would only put KU and Valley Tourney ahead of Koch. The others were, at best, on par with Koch.

My suspicion is that it’s a personal preference. Of course acknowledging that other people might have valid opinions isn’t the modus operandi of the internet.

I read some of this boards suggestions for improvement and think they are not good.

seen a lot of venues over the past few years and know what good production is to keep the fans engaged amd loud..these sre the games and venues that i can remember off hand without looking for my stubs.

college basketball

@ missouri state v wichita
        @ creighton v wichita (dollar beer!)
        @ st louis univ v wichita
        @ colorado v arizona
        @ grand canyon v new mexico state
        @ smu v wichita
        @ tcu v kansas
        @ unlv v boise st
        @ @ loyola chicago v wichita
        @ uni v wichita
        @ drake v wichita
        @ okla state v wichita
        oklahoma in okc v wichita
        @ oklahoma v texas
        kansas in v new mexico st
        @kansas v kansas st (beasley year)
        @ kansas state v tcu
        @ kansas state v kansas
        kansas state in wichita v gonzaga
        @ colorado state v wichita
        @ illinois state v wichita
        @ grand canyon v
        @ texas v kansas
        @ unlv v san diego st
        @ tulsa v wichita
        @ evansville v wichita
        @ indiana state v wichita
        @ valley tournament 2003-2017
        @ arkansas v tennessee
        @ boise state v utah state

mls
        @ salt lake v skc
        @ houston v skc
        @ minnesota v skc
        @ dallas v skc
        @ chicago v skc
        @ colorado v
        @ skc v opponents 2013–present (missed 2 home matches)

after all this the best atmosphere i've ever seen at a college game was at grand canyon.. small budget school in a small conference with a first rate production. no excuse wichita state.

Comment

Dropping nearly $800 for 19 games works out to about $40 per game. That's steep. 19 walks from Eck to CKA and back is another matter. Especially since most of those walks in January and February are going to be in 25 degree weather with wind blowing.

I'm getting back into a position where the financial part isn't prohibitive. But, throw in that sometimes bone-chilling stroll, and I'll be leaving any ticket I might purchase to someone a little younger who's better able to handle the cold.
        The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
        We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
          19 walks from Eck to CKA and back is another matter. Especially since most of those walks in January and February are going to be in 25 degree weather with wind blowing.

But, throw in that sometimes bone-chilling stroll, and I'll be leaving any ticket I might purchase to someone a little younger who's better able to handle the cold.
          A fact lost on the leaders of the City of Wichita as well.

Comment

Sad - After being a season ticket holder for over 50 years this could very easy be my last. Not that I do not love the Shockers and really enjoy the game experiences but now I feel that I am being totally ripped off. Over the last few years everyone has noticed the change in overall production of the time we spend there. Everything for extra $$$$$ and nothing for the fans. Is the athletic department really in a bad financial position? I sure hope not. The arena full of corporate seats (notice I did not say fans) will not be what anyone wants including WSU.

Comment

Especially since most of those walks in January and February are going to be in 25 degree weather with wind blowing..
              Your forgetting global warming. January and February weather is getting better day by day.

Comment

• WstateU
                WstateU commented
                Editing a comment
                https://media.giphy.com/media/26ufn6...mwaA/giphy.gif

• Aargh
                Aargh commented
                Editing a comment
                That's true, but by the time it's regularly 40 degrees at 10 at night in January and February, it will be 120 in the daytime in July and August, and, one way or another, I will not be living close enough to 21st and Hillside to get there for a game., but I might be getting acquainted with the Canadian Football League.
                Last edited by Aargh; August 6, 2019, 11:27 AM. Reason: OOps, commented on the wrong post

"... most of those walks in January and February are going to be in 25 degree weather with wind blowing.
              I didn't remember the cold being a huge problem last year, so I checked.

There were only three games, out of eight, below freezing in Jan. and Feb. last season during the day part when the games took place. Almost all of your walks would have been well above 25 degrees.

If you're especially sensitive, you might consider parking in the lots over on 17th and cut the trip in half with a pregame stop at the RSC. Schnapps also works.

GAME Daypart High Daypart Low
              Jan 6 - Temple 3pm 59 55
              Jan 16 - UCF 39 37
              Jan 19 - Cincinnati 1pm 25 23
              Jan 30 - SMU 21 16
              Feb 2 - Tulsa 1pm 64 59
              Feb 9 - Tulane 34 32
              Feb 23 - Memphis 34 34
              Feb 28 - UCONN 6pm 28 28

“The rebellion on the populist right against the results of the 2020 election was partly a cynical, knowing effort by political operators and their hype men in the media to steal an election or at least get rich trying. But it was also the tragic consequence of the informational malnourishment so badly afflicting the nation. ... Americans gorge themselves daily on empty informational calories, indulging their sugar fixes of self-affirming half-truths and even outright lies.'

― Chris Stirewalt

Comment

• pinstripers
                pinstripers commented
                Editing a comment
                Well, hell yeah, 34 ain't cold...........SMDH

• 1972Shocker
                1972Shocker commented
                Editing a comment
                The real determinant of how cold that walk is the wind.

We are getting ever closer to the wall on price as well. The total cost of my one seat would go a long ways toward helping take the whole family to a conference or NCAA tournament, when those are relatively close.
              Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

I know Koch arena could improve by going with a "less is more" concept for the add revenue. I swear many of the promos are so bad I make a point not to shop at the sponsors..

With that stated, the real rub on season ticket prices is that they are not in line with actual market value - especially as you move to better seats. I have tracked this for a couple of seasons and would have come out better in every season since Fred & Ron graduated by purchasing single game tickets.

Comment

Remember we are another year away from sharing in any conference TV or NCAA $$$. We left our MVC money on the table. This was the cost upgrading conferences. Travel costs for the entire athletic department are significantly more than the MVC. This was all planned out. While going to the NIT was great for the MBB team and their fans, this added significantly to the travel costs last fiscal year.

The SASO contribution solely funds athletic scholarships and not any operating expenses. It will be a tough year but I am sure they will get through it.

Comment

• WuDrWu
                    WuDrWu commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Every single point made here is excellent.

Originally posted by jcdshocker View Post
                  Remember we are another year away from sharing in any conference TV or NCAA $$$. We left our MVC money on the table. This was the cost upgrading conferences. Travel costs for the entire athletic department are significantly more than the MVC. This was all planned out. While going to the NIT was great for the MBB team and their fans, this added significantly to the travel costs last fiscal year.

The SASO contribution solely funds athletic scholarships and not any operating expenses. It will be a tough year but I am sure they will get through it.
                  No doubt. The rising costs are probably necessary. I used to pay extra added on to all of my tickets because I wanted to help out as much as possible. Then I couldn’t swing even that. Then I cut back the number of tickets purchased. I’m now purchasing only one. I’ve been a season ticket holder for 25 straight years after moving back to Wichita. I’ve been a season ticket holder with family 30 years prior to that. I think this will have to be my final year because I just cannot afford it anymore. There’s no bigger Shocker fan than me. Maybe I can afford to go to more baseball and/or women’s basketball games to help out the Shockers a little. They are more affordable. But the corporations and wealthier patrons will have to continue funding the men’s basketball and other programs. It’s passing my limits.

Comment

• 1972Shocker
                    1972Shocker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Supporting the other athletic programs is a good way to help out the athletic program if you are priced out of men's basketball season tickets. Tickets for Volleyball and Women's Basketball are very reasonable. I'd also throw softball in there along with baseball. Track & Field is cheap entertainment as well although the number of opportunities are relatively limited. Of course, none of these rival the fan experience fo a men's basketball game. Although I love watching Shocker Volleyball.

• WuDrWu
                    WuDrWu commented
                    Editing a comment
                    What 1972 said. I'm probably one or 2 more years supporting men's basketball at a high level, then I'll be done and I'm one of those evil corporate guys. I suspect they won't have any problem finding another person or company to fill my spot and I will turn my attention to supporting the other programs, while still loving men's basketball.

I first got season tickets in 2003, going halfsies with another ShockerNet member. Several years back, as ticket prices were increasing we added a 3rd to split with just to make it affordable. For the past two seasons we have had to talk about whether to renew, due to the continued rising cost.

For some of you considering dropping, maybe consolidate and split the cost and the games. Though I totally get it if the issue is cost per game and not overall cost. We have to drive in from Hutch, so that adds gas money and often times a fast food meal since if it's an early game I need to leave work early and grab something on the way. So tack on another $25 per game.

Comment

Working...
                  X