• Show
Clear All

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock Reaper View Post
      That was last night :)

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

That was last night :)
        Anybody happen to check it out to see how many seats were available and how many people showed up?

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

Anybody happen to check it out to see how many seats were available and how many people showed up?
          I heard there were 500 available, which is a lot compared to previous years and at this point in the year.

The Wall is being hit.
          Deuces Valley.
          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• abdullah_sharif
            abdullah_sharif commented
            Editing a comment
            none for the sharif family. i enjoyed watching the kids grow up last season. its all about the overall value. we’ll be at a majority of the games, but wont pay full price.

i’ll say it again, i’d pay $2500 for a pair of seats to see the shockers if the administration would listen and provide a 2019 worthy experience. coach can only do so much.

the athletic department has lost approximately $20,000 in annual revenue from my family between tickets and coaches club this year. eventually they’ll listen.

i’ve offered to help administration but was declined. the offer still stands.

just paid for my sporting kc season tickets this afternoon.. they’re in 10th place out of 12 teams in the western conference right now. winning has nothing to do with it.. its value.

• ShockerFever
            ShockerFever commented
            Editing a comment
            Sorry Doc. Most of the fanbase doesn’t have the luxury of pulling in your kind of salary.

If you truly believe what you posted, then our fanbase is one of the most bandwagon fanbases in the country.

• WuDrWu
            WuDrWu commented
            Editing a comment
            FWIW I suspect most everyone here pulls in "my kind of salary" Fev. I've stated that I'm probably on my last couple of years of tickets. I think it's some of everything. When I was 25 I would have sold my soul for row 33 tickets, and I did. I could now probably always afford row 33 tickets but I'm not sure that sitting that high, with poorer eyesight, not having a parking pass with 2 bad knees, as much as I love the game I'd pick and choose the games I'd try to go to. My order of preference these days would be good seats below row 15 at least, watch on tv, then sit up high.

I think they're in a tough spot. They have to get as much money as they can, today. The owner of ABC Widgets isn't going to pay big bucks for row 24 tickets, he's just not. If they go too far with pricing, there will eventually be a turn, but so far I don't see it. People, for the most part, continue to pay it. If 200 of us here drop off, how many newbies will come in? I suppose that's the $64 question. But it's likely that 8000+ are still going to be paying top dollar....and our expenses are huge in the new conference. Just huge. Travel expenses are a nightmare. I get everyone's frustration, and I share a lot of it, but there is a price to success, and it's on us to pay it or we're likely not going to have much more of it.
            Last edited by WuDrWu; August 8, 2019, 03:50 PM.

Here is tweet from Brent Kemnitz yesterday that shows some of the seats available.

Comment

WuDrWu said: "
            What factor does not being ranked for the first time in 8 seasons and not going to the dance since 2012 have to play in that? Most seasons, from my memory, 15-300 tickets have been available. Now it's 500. Is it not winning at the highest level, or "the Wall being hit"?
            "

I do believe there are a number of legitimate reasons, some financial, some not.

WSU leaving money behind in the Valley and not yet being able to share in conference $s in the AAC is no doubt a strain on the athletic budget. However, that is temporary and will soon pass.

The increase in cost of being in the AAC, especially the travel, and the costs related to that new "level" of athletics in all sports that most likely will require hiring (or the keeping) of higher level coaches. Again, my hopes are that the dollar benefits of being in the AAC will help counter these.

I'm sure there are "bandwagon" fans that come and go, but having higher caliber opponents along with us having a greater number of higher quality players should make the value on the floor a better product. Unfortunately, there have been about 8 SNrs just on this thread who have all been long term season tickets holders, prior to our new found fame, that have reduced the number of tickets or dropped them all together and "winning" has not been in that equation at all.

That stout number of 7,500 of us that were here in the 90's is a dwindling number. Will there be enough younger fans willing to fill those gaps?
            The number of season ticket holders, old and new, are going to be affected with the other methods of watching games that is available (also what we can watch those games on has improved dramatically).
            Go ahead and gouge the fans at the concession stand, but it only gives the fan another reason to not come or drop season tickets (and SASO).
            Is the new tax law having any effects on season tickets/SASO?
            Is it wise when you once had halftime entertainment, now you don't, yet charge the fan more?
            There are those of us that go to the game for the game, not to just be seen there. They're killing our entertainment value by killing the excitement with all the hokey promos (not all are but most). Are they really making that much off of those?
            Corporate sponsored tickets/SASO probably come and go to some degree (also have many of the empty seats on any given game). They can afford to do that because they have "other" benefits that families do not have. Will WSU be able to continue to kick those long term families and their past investments in WSU to the curb? What's so bad about honoring those long term families (like they do during the games) by allowing the next generation to not loose past points as long as they continue the level of contribution (or some sort of adjustment if they cannot afford that level)?

Maybe there are a lot of Wichita/WSU's out there and there's a book on it. You know, successful college sports programs while not being in a P5 or BE conference with a metro population like Wichita and 4 major college programs within about 150 miles.

Comment

• abdullah_sharif
              Editing a comment
              oh the days of cutting dr deskins accounting class to attend $hitty quality basketball.. i think 1999 was the year.

I went there last night, I wouldn't say 500. Or least tags on the seats. Maybe 150? Most were top on the ends like you see in that picture from Brent. The center court sections were nearly completely sold. (completely sold on the non-bench side it seemed)

Comment

-I guess I’m lucky. My attention span lasts longer than three minutes so I can sit down during a media time out,
              ignore (or laugh at the terrible participant) the Ashley Furniture Shootout, and still get back into the game when it’s time.
              -It’s 2019, everyone has a cell phone. The WiFi/reception in Koch is good enough now that you can get on your phone and entertain yourself during timeouts or half time.
              -Would I rather watch the lady throw plates on a unicycle than the dance team? Sure. Do I go to the games to see that stuff? No. I’m an adult.
              -If you don’t understand why the cost of attending a Shocker basketball game has increased and think that your money would be better put to use hiring the trampoline dunkers then I dunno what to tell you.
              -“I’ll gladly give my money to some shitty soccer team in KC because they called me once and stroked my ego. But I’ll be damned if I’m gonna keep paying to maintain the best coach in WSU history who, along with Bardo and the athletic department I continually trash, was responsible for getting us out of the Valley.” Lmfao.

Comment

• abdullah_sharif
                Editing a comment
                couple things and i think i'm about done with this topic..

** i'm glad you pay top dollar to entertain yourself with your phone. i can do that at home for free.

** i support coach thru the auction and attend many other university sporting events.

** it's like a restaurant... my thoughts on dropping my tickets have more to do with the "shitty service" and don't care attitude of the servers.. not the food that comes out of the kitchen. there are plenty of good restaurants that have failed because the front of the house (servers/managers) don't to their part.

** far from ego stroke. half the time i don't really have the time to talk to him but he puts in the effort and i respect that. maybe the days of giving someone a few minutes of my time although i'm busy because they bust their ass is gone.. not with me. even better is the suggestions that have come from the masses have been implemented.

i've offered suggestions and to put together a group to work on gameday experience. the powers that be weren't interested. the offer still stands, no matter how awkward it could be. i care about wichita state athletics and may be back. sometimes it takes a regime change to make it happen. hopefully coach is still here.

Originally posted by pie n eye View Post
              -I guess I’m lucky. My attention span lasts longer than three minutes so I can sit down during a media time out,
              ignore (or laugh at the terrible participant) the Ashley Furniture Shootout, and still get back into the game when it’s time.
              -It’s 2019, everyone has a cell phone. The WiFi/reception in Koch is good enough now that you can get on your phone and entertain yourself during timeouts or half time.
              -Would I rather watch the lady throw plates on a unicycle than the dance team? Sure. Do I go to the games to see that stuff? No. I’m an adult.
              -If you don’t understand why the cost of attending a Shocker basketball game has increased and think that your money would be better put to use hiring the trampoline dunkers then I dunno what to tell you.
              -“I’ll gladly give my money to some shitty soccer team in KC because they called me once and stroked my ego. But I’ll be damned if I’m gonna keep paying to maintain the best coach in WSU history who, along with Bardo and the athletic department I continually trash, was responsible for getting us out of the Valley.” Lmfao.
              Relatives in the athletic department?
              Deuces Valley.
              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

If you want to entertain the kids, just show a video of someone playing Minecraft. They can watch that crap for hours.

Comment

Nobody would be complaining about halftime entertainment if they hadn't brought in that "cowboy" and his dog that sat still while he told how great he was to his dog. That awakened everybody!
                  "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                  ---------------------------------------
                  Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                  "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                  "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Originally posted by im4wsu View Post
                    Nobody would be complaining about halftime entertainment if they hadn't brought in that "cowboy" and his dog that sat still while he told how great he was to his dog. That awakened everybody!
                    This is a different individual from the man who brought the monkeys that rode the dogs, right? My recollection is that guy explained how it was his dream to own monkeys who could ride dogs, and therefore we all could achieve our dreams as well.

Get that guy on retainer and just have him be the standing halftime entertainment.

Comment

There will always be something to complain about if you're always focused on the negative. There won't always be HCGM on the sidelines or 4* players playing back up minutes.

Be very careful what you wish for.
                    "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post
                      There will always be something to complain about if you're always focused on the negative. There won't always be HCGM on the sidelines or 4* players playing back up minutes.

Be very careful what you wish for.
                      Who’s wishing for the opposite?
                      Deuces Valley.
                      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
                        I went there last night, I wouldn't say 500. Or least tags on the seats. Maybe 150? Most were top on the ends like you see in that picture from Brent. The center court sections were nearly completely sold. (completely sold on the non-bench side it seemed)
                        We tried upgrading this year. We thought there might be some weakness in renewals that might allow us to move down, but there was nothing available that we would consider an upgrade when we got the call. As you pointed out, the picture pretty much tells the story.

Comment

Working...
                        X