https://goshockers.com/news/2019/10/...0sDwNJOgMyr6iE

and so it begins

Leave a comment:

• MikeKennedyRulZ
    commented on 's reply
    Pin, too bad I can't mail you a slap...

• JVShocker
    commented on 's reply
    We go to Volleyball home games. I know at least one other person who would support men's soccer. Men's and women's swimming and diving, I know at least 4 people who would be all over it every meet.

• WichitaHawk
    commented on 's reply
    I wish we had men's or women's soccer. I'd be a season ticket holder in an instant! I played some WSU club ball while in in college and it was fun. I could only imagine how much fun having an actual team would be!

• WuDrWu
    commented on 's reply
    No doubt about it 1972Shocker.

• 1972Shocker
    commented on 's reply
    WuDrWu I also contend that when you support the other Shocker athletic programs you essentially are supporting Men's Basketball financially because each dollar of revenue generated by the other Shocker programs is a dollar less that has to subsidized by Shocker men's basektball.

Besides variety is the spice of life.

• C0|dB|00ded
    commented on 's reply
    I think Koch Arena attendance is like Apple stock; if you bought in at the turn of the century you are a happy, happy man. I suspect there's no point in selling either now.

Shocker basketball is a far cry from what it was in 1999. The administration is merely testing the upper limits of demand... as they should. Most likely there will be more net profit to the department with a few hundred seats empty than the alternative.

Welcome to big-time college athletics! Who here wishes we were still in the Valley? I'm pretty proud of the fact that a pair of seats on the floor goes for $25k (6 year old price).

I predicted all this nearly 20 years ago. The giant has awakened.

T

...:cool:

• WuDrWu
    replied
    I know this has been mentioned more than once by 1972Shocker but if you're one of the folks that's been priced out of men's basketball, might I suggest trying for just 1 season, supporting one of the other Shocker athletic programs at just 50% of what you were spending on men's basketball? If you can find the time to attend 1 team event and at least half of the home contests, I find it very hard to believe that in the end you won't enjoy tremendous satisfaction in the support you give.

I love the sport of basketball unlike any other and the thrills that program affords me, especially the last 15 or so years are unmatched, but the personal satisfaction and pride I get in supporting volleyball, baseball, softball and others means a lot more to me. Give it a shot folks.

Leave a comment:

• Kung Wu
    commented on 's reply
    That was a seriously weird halftime show!

• B1ShockFan
    commented on 's reply
    I think most on here "support the Shox" but at what cost. Ticket prices keep going up and many of us are just getting priced out.

• OregonShocker
    replied
    pinstripers I'm sure they would, and I'd consider it, but I have an "outside influence" that warns me against that...
    abdullah_sharif I have one for the Blazers, yes. And the description of WSU games sounds VERY similar to NBA games.

Leave a comment:

• abdullah_sharif
    commented on 's reply
    you mean that you have a season ticket rep?

• pinstripers
    commented on 's reply
    I can't believe they won't sell you tickets

• OregonShocker
    replied
    So, as someone who doesn't have the option of purchasing ST's for WSU, but does for the Blazers, here's my 2 cents (worth even less).
    I am somewhat atypical, as I suspect most on this board are just by being here, in that I don't attend events for ANY reason but to watch the event. I dont' care about promos, free t-shirt giveaways, etc. I also refuse to leave a game early; I go to watch good basketball and some amazing plays happen late in a 20 point blowout. So, my purchase is based SOLELY on affordability. But, I recognize, that for some fans and the corporate entities, the experience IS the selling point to clients, guests, and sometimes themselves. I can't blame the AD for trying to get a little more $ by promos; I'll tolerate them even though they may annoy me. BUT, if the price goes too high, I will let my STH representative know that my purchase scale is tilting;maybe they lean on the corporate sponsers more than 'lil ol' me. That may result in MORE of the promos/signage/ etc that irritate me, but so be it; it's what it takes to keep me in the seat. I recognize I'm not gonna make a great impact, but I can only account for my own actions.

Leave a comment:

• ShockerFever
    replied
    Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post

Not everyone on here has stated they're getting priced out. There's a difference between legitimately not being able to afford it, and complaining about "game production" and "fan experience" and threatening to not buy tickets because a few aspects of going to a game aren't up to one's ludicrously high standards.

If you're a casual fan who enjoys basketball, then I will absolutely agree that the transactional nature of buying tickets and going to a game (the value one gets for one's money) should be your number one concern. But if you bleed black and yellow and are a supporter of the program, then the transactional nature should matter less. What you receive for your money is of secondary concern. It should be about supporting your program. That's what being a fan is--emotion, not dollars and cents.

If you can't afford tickets, I get it. But if you hold your fandom hostage because you don't like some freaking promos, then you sound more like an entitled baby than any "snowflake" some of y'all (also) complain about.

If I still lived in Wichita I'd have season tickets no questions asked. From a distance, I support the university and the program in other ways.
    So instead you’re asking the fans to be hostages to the university? That the athletic department can flub around all they want because your only goal should be to drop a decent chunk of your income for the better good of the university? Does that sound ass backward? If people just wanna give out money to give out money, more power to them. I understand that it helps the program and student athlete. At the same time, should I expect some effort to accommodate the fanbase? Newsflash: the majority of patrons of games are likely not diehards. In fact, most of the diehards are watching on the outside because they likely can’t afford to buy season tickets. This is made evident by the TBT and NIT home games, etc.

I just fail at this weird mindset you have that fans should be mindless drones and just empty their hard earned money into the coffers with no expectations at all or otherwise they’re not true WSU fans. That’s COMPLETELY asinine.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X