Fred VanVleet (2012-16) "Future" Shocker Sports Hall of Famer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
    I'd like to hear a little more specifics on what is lacking from Fred. I know a number of upgrades have been made. I'm sure there are always things that can be done, but he made it sound more dire than I'm sure it is.

Other programs absolutely need upgrades as well. Finding the money to do all of that is complicated. Even baseball, with all of the support and alumni it has, struggled more than expected for the improvements over at Eck. Track could definitely still use some improvements and so could softball.

But I'm all for more fundraising for any or all teams. And having Fred be a voice in that isn't a bad thing.
    Yes, Fred is the perfect person to help out. Not only is he the face of one of the most sucessful times in the program, hes also one of the most successful pros to come out of the program AND an extremely smart business man (from what I can tell). I'd hope that someone in the AD or University leadership was setting up meetings with Fred the second he mentioned that. Get it rolling and get it rolling NOW.

Comment

• There are definitely needs for men's basketball, and I'm glad Fred seems to be embracing a leadership role to make those things happen. Our facilities were top of the heap in the MVC, but that's not necessarily the case anymore in the AAC.

With that said, I don't have a problem with the university spending some money recently on T&F and some other programs. Men's basketball might drive the bus, but some of the other programs have been sitting at the back of it for years and needed some love and investment. For programs outside the P5, there will always be more needs than there is money.
      "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

• Look, trust me, I have seen other D-1 basketball practice and workout facilities. Fifteen years ago ours may have been adequate but today they suck. I have insight that coaches are embarrassed to take recruits to our weight room when they come for a visit. I’ve been saying this for the last few years…through private donations with some help from the general fund, Improvements have to be made. So when Fred comes back and sees nothing has changed, I’m down for him calling this to attention. Maybe the time to do it is when they tear down and rebuild the stadium, I don’t know.

In a perfect world, we should have went bigger with the Student Athlete success center with multiple weight rooms and practice facilities.

Comment

• I’ve not seen the weight room in several years, so I’ll defer to those who have. I’m still uncomfortable with comments like “it was old when I was here” or “we’ve put money everywhere but men’s basketball.”

Koch Arena’s renovation finished in Fall 2003. It was LESS THAN TEN YEARS OLD when Fred set foot in the 316. Maybe starting to small signs of needed updates? Okay, I can go with that. Not OLD though. Also, the locker room was redone after the Final Four, so Fred almost always had that new.

I’m the last guy to be a Rainbolt apologist, but if you want to see “old facilities,” look at the weight room and locker rooms that track had prior to the new Student Athlete Center. Those facilities were/are probably older than me, and I’m 10 years older than Fred.

Again, if Fred is able to use his position and stature to continue to help improve facilities, I’m all for that. Let’s just be careful about saying that everyone but basketball benefits, because I know several people who would say the exact opposite.
          78-65

Comment

• Sometimes I wish Chuck was more like T Boone.

He could outspend T Boone without having to go to the bank and WSU could easily have the best facilities in the country in all their sports if so.

Granted one is an alumnus and the other isn’t, but a kid can dream.
            The Assman

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

Maybe I am misreading those comments but it seems pretty clear to me that they are referring to the removal of Gregg Marshall and the hiring of Isasc Brown.
              I could not agree with you more; I just wanted to see if good ole 46 could confirm it publicly on Shockernet.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

76 just got “hard” for the first time in 15 years with this statement. I’ve heard speculation before but no proof that there were relationship problems. However, keep in mind that Ron was a Shocker for 5 years, and Fred 4 years. They gave this program everything, and came back the next year. Fred made a statement in the newspaper that he didn’t appreciate Gregg’s comment (Gregg said he was disappointed which any coach would possibly be concerned with probation at WSU) regarding his receiving an illegal payment from an agent prior to his completion of his Senior year. Other than that I’ve heard nothing of substance. I think 76 has the problem and what happened should be let go.

Fred came back to Wichita for a quick visit during his rookie season, and Fred came back that same summer (a few months later) to run a camp for Wichita kids. After that his family responsibilities and numbers grew quickly. He has no problems here.
                Tough to "connect the dots" if you keep squeezing your eye lids shut Shockm. Try opening your eyes and maybe you will be able get "hard" for the first time in your life.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shock Top View Post
                  Imagine all the players that would be coming back if WSU hired Bob Richey!!
                  Now this is an excellent example of someone who cannot "let something go". I am very pleased with HCIB leading the Shockers but this fact does not diminish my belief that Bob Richey is an excellent MBB coach and would have been a successful replacement for the disgraced Marshall.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker1976 View Post

Now this is an excellent example of someone who cannot "let something go". I am very pleased with HCIB leading the Shockers but this fact does not diminish my belief that Bob Richey is an excellent MBB coach and would have been a successful replacement for the disgraced Marshall.
                    I appreciate Gregg Marshall’s contributions to our Shocker program, while you do not.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

I appreciate Gregg Marshall’s contributions to our Shocker program, while you do not.
                      I appreciate Marshall's contributions; unlike you I had my fill of his petty, vindictive behavior and wanted him to move on as he had publicly stated he would.

Comment

• You really don’t. Every person has strengths and weaknesses. Your POV is from far away and don’t realize or refuse to see what he accomplished for Wichita State University, and the city of Wichita. I know people who have interacted with him and recognize his strengths. You are far away, You’re POV is fixated, has no balance, and you’ve proved that time and time again.

Comment

• Truth: Even when Koch was updated, it was still behind.

None of our facilities are Top 50. None.

Comment

• My bad. Didn't mean for my comment to derail a FVV thread. I purposely didn't respond to a certain poster that was trying to weaponize my post.

Comment

• Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post
                              Truth: Even when Koch was updated, it was still behind.

None of our facilities are Top 50. None.
                              And 20 years old might as well be a century when it comes to college athletics arms race. We are "P6" now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
                                My bad. Didn't mean for my comment to derail a FVV thread. I purposely didn't respond to a certain poster that was trying to weaponize my post.
                                ROFLMAO; too funny to be ignored Stickboy. You post a true statement and then attempt to disown it with a deflecting post. Over the coming months your eyes may be opened even further as dots are connected.

Comment

Working...
                                X