No announcement yet.

Fred VanVleet (2012-16) "Future" Shocker Sports Hall of Famer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whether Fred personally donates or not, having him as a spokesman and leader for the cause is huge for our program.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Interesting comments here by Fred.

1. Feels like the university hasn't put back enough into the MBB program since they have been the ones driving the growth

2. Would like to be involved in helping drive donations towards that point.
      Our weight room is subpar, we need our own practice facility that men and women’s teams can use at the same time, and it would be nice to have a little better meeting areas for recruits and families. So, yes, basketball is better off than other sports on campus but is losing the arms race with their competition.

While track and field needed their new workout and team rooms badly, it did seem odd that a bigger more inclusive facility wasn’t built. Does anyone know the story behind it? We are so fortunate to have the baseball alumni that we do.

At least basketball has been able to keep most of their staff so there’s that.
      Last edited by shoxlax; July 15, 2021, 06:00 PM.

Comment

• If all of Wichita State's athletic programs had to be self-supporting than, yeah, Men's basketball is probably the only sport that could do that. The problem is if all the other sports (or even 2 of the other sports) go away than WSU doesn't have a D-1 basketball program either. WSU sponsors 15 D-1 programs. 7 men's and 8 women's. Minimum required for D-1 programs is 7 men's and 7 women's or alternatively 6 men's and 8 women's programs. The Shocks are 1 over the minimum. WSU could drop 1 men's program or 1 women's program and still meet the requirements for D-1 membership. Note that the Track & Field program actually accounts for 6 of the 15 Shocker programs as XC, Indoor T&F and Outdoor T&F are considered separate programs for these purposes.

In Wichita State's case Men's Basketball clearly is the bell cow that provides the financial wherewithal to be able to maintain D-1 membership. So the question is do you want to starve your other 13 or 14 programs giving them the minimum to squeeze buy and perhaps not being competitive especially in the AAC and funnel as much of the money as you can into Men's basketball.

I think it was Jim Schaus who set the philosophy of trying to be the best you can be across all of your programs. But clearly that requires a balancing act. And the Shockers are finding that balancing act in the AAC to be a much bigger challenge than it was in the MVC.

Bottom line, is yes Men's Basketball deserves the biggest piece of the pie as it basically provides the bulk of the pie to be sliced up. But, as long as the D-1 membership requirements are what they are, you still have to slip a few slivers of the pie around among the other programs in the athletic department. The tough decision is how big a piece should each program get. I am sure none of the programs are getting their fill of pie. You do have to make sure Men's Basketball is doing well or everyone starves.

It is all really interconnected. I have always believed that every dollar you spend attending a women's basketball game, a baseball game, a softball game, a track meet, etc, is a dollar that the men's basketball program doesn't have to shell out to subsidize that sport. Basically, what ever a fan spends on supporting any WSU athletic program is good not only for that program but for men's basketball and the athletic department as a whole.
        Last edited by 1972Shocker; July 15, 2021, 06:07 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

I don’t necessarily disagree that the basketball facilities could use some improvements. We should always try to maintain top tier facilities. Your point is a good one, though. Men’s basketball isn’t the only sport at WSU and even though most, if not all, don’t generate any revenue, they still deserve support.

Additionally, and this is going to be an unpopular statement, but as far as I know Fred’s been MIA from Wichita for many years now. That’s fine. He’s a busy guy with a family, a pro career and does all kinds of charity work. But to just pop back in to Wichita after years and start making all of these comments about how the basketball team isn’t getting their fair share…it just seems…I don’t know exactly.

If he’s going to be more visible around the program and pull out the checkbook to make these things happen, great. But where has he been the last 8 years when all of this sliding was supposedly happening?
          It is very easy to connect the dots as to why Fred is now back in town now after being gone since graduation. Hint: It has nothing to do with being a busy guy with a family and pro career.

Obviously he loves the program, as it loves him and it is great he is able to be more visible now!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Topshock View Post

It is very easy to connect the dots as to why Fred is now back in town now after being gone since graduation. Hint: It has nothing to do with being a busy guy with a family and pro career.

Obviously he loves the program, as it loves him and it is great he is able to be more visible now!!!
            Yea. The number of players making their "first appearance back at CKA" since their playing days this summer is kinda eye opening

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Yea. The number of players making their "first appearance back at CKA" since their playing days this summer is kinda eye opening
              Care to provide clarity regards your statement having your eyes opened?

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker1976 View Post

Care to provide clarity regards your statement having your eyes opened?
                Maybe I am misreading those comments but it seems pretty clear to me that they are referring to the removal of Gregg Marshall and the hiring of Isasc Brown.

Comment

• Fred and Ron did come back during the All Star break during their first pro season...but yeah, not hard to connect dots.

I hope for everyone’s sake, this can eventually be rectified. In a couple years, WSU will hopefully commemorate the tenth anniversary of the 2013 Final Four team. It’d be a damn shame if Gregg isn’t welcome to be part of that.
                  78-65

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

Maybe I am misreading those comments but it seems pretty clear to me that they are referring to the removal of Gregg Marshall and the hiring of Isasc Brown.
                    76 just got “hard” for the first time in 15 years with this statement. I’ve heard speculation before but no proof that there were relationship problems. However, keep in mind that Ron was a Shocker for 5 years, and Fred 4 years. They gave this program everything, and came back the next year. Fred made a statement in the newspaper that he didn’t appreciate Gregg’s comment (Gregg said he was disappointed which any coach would possibly be concerned with probation at WSU) regarding his receiving an illegal payment from an agent prior to his completion of his Senior year. Other than that I’ve heard nothing of substance. I think 76 has the problem and what happened should be let go.

Fred came back to Wichita for a quick visit during his rookie season, and Fred came back that same summer (a few months later) to run a camp for Wichita kids. After that his family responsibilities and numbers grew quickly. He has no problems here.

Comment

• Well said by Fred. There is nothing but upside by Fred making these comments. Don’t over complicate it..

Comment

• Imagine all the players that would be coming back if WSU hired Bob Richey!!
                        The Assman

Comment

• Originally posted by proshox View Post
                          Well said by Fred. There is nothing but upside by Fred making these comments. Don’t over complicate it..
                          I think Fred’s comments were said in response to the new NIL rules that universities like WSU are navigating through, and some on here are misinterpreting his points. Nothing but upside to his comments is right. He’s just trying to support his university through new circumstances.

Comment

• I'd like to hear a little more specifics on what is lacking from Fred. I know a number of upgrades have been made. I'm sure there are always things that can be done, but he made it sound more dire than I'm sure it is.

Other programs absolutely need upgrades as well. Finding the money to do all of that is complicated. Even baseball, with all of the support and alumni it has, struggled more than expected for the improvements over at Eck. Track could definitely still use some improvements and so could softball.

But I'm all for more fundraising for any or all teams. And having Fred be a voice in that isn't a bad thing.
                            Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                            RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                            Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                            ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                            Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                            Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Didn't T/F just get a new upgrade with locker rooms, offices, and study facilities, overlooking the track?

Comment

• Eh. That didn’t come off as dire, but more of a reminder to dance with the one that brought you. If the university likes the money and attention the basketball team has brought, they need to keep feeding it.
                                People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Working...
                                X