2019-20 Happenings around the AAC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post

is it just me or does Lomax seem out of place?
    Lomax is a glue guy alright. The glue that is going to hold that bench together.

Comment

The Hot Seat: Which college basketball coaches are in danger of losing their job? - NBC Sports

By Rob Dauster
      Posted: Oct 9, 2019, 9:49 AM EDT

"The wrench that has been thrown into this year’s Hot Seat list is that the fallout from the FBI’s investigation into corruption in college basketball has not been fully realized just yet. There are a number of guys at major programs that are stuck waiting to see what kind of punishment the NCAA is going to hand down and whether or not their employers will stick by them when they do. There are also a handful of coaches that have entered a year where they need to start winning, which puts them on a much more traditional Hot Seat.

So without further ado, your 2019-20 College Basketball Coaching Hot Seat:

WAITING ON THE NCAA
      WILL WADE, LSU:...
      BILL SELF, Kansas: ...
      SEAN MILLER, Arizona:...
      BRUCE PEARL, Auburn:...
      ANDY ENFIELD, USC:...
      THE OTHER GUYS: Frank Martin of South Carolina, Brad Underwood, Oklahoma State Creighton’s Greg McDermott...

THE TRADITIONAL HOT SEAT...
      TIM JANKOVICH, SMU: When Jankovich signed a five-year deal in 2016 to replace Larry Brown, the Mustangs were the trendy team in Texas. In his first season as the head coach, Jankovich went 30-5 and won the American regular season and tournament titles. But that team had four NBA players on it, guys that were brought in by Brown. The talent level has dropped significantly, SMU has gone 6-12 in the AAC each of the last two years and at this point, the Mustangs aren’t even the trendiest team in the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex.

FRANK HAITH, Tulsa: Haith has been unable to build on the NCAA tournament that he reached in 2015-16 with Tulsa. Last season, the Golden Hurricane finished 18-14 overall and 8-10 in the AAC. He did sign a two-year extension in March through 2022, but it is at a lower salary. Haith needs a big year...."

Comment

As the countdown to the 2019-20 college basketball season continues, ESPN's conference predictions series lands on the AAC.

Comment

Doesn’t seem like there is a ton of buzz around the shockers so far despite being picked to finish too 4 by several people.

I think there’s a decent chance that could change in a hurry. I’m excited to see it all unfold.

Comment

Not any buzz here either.

Comment

WAYYYY out of place! I was wondering if he was referring to a different Alex Lomax.

Comment

Not any buzz here either.
                Nope. But there's no one on this Shocker team who, barring pretty unforeseen circumstances, has a shot at getting drafted this season. Jaime is the closest one for sure. But he's not there...yet.
                "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

There is one, but I hope and think it will be at least one more year.

Comment

Don't know if this has been posted elsewhere, or if it even fits here, but... Good God. Who approved this court design? Let the peni$ jokes begin...

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
                      Lomax is a glue guy alright. The glue that is going to hold that bench together.
                      I got a chuckle, but I'm curious why you think that?

Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

I got a chuckle, but I'm curious why you think that?
                        Memphis has some dudes. He 100% got recruited over.

Their guards are:
                        Boogie Ellis - 6'3, 38th ranked
                        Damion Baugh - 6'3 115th ranked (also dunked over 7'0 James Wiseman at their madness thing and has been mentioned as NBA potential)
                        Lester Quinones - 6'5 58th ranked

Others:
                        Tyler Harris - only 5'9 but a far better shooter than Lomax
                        Ryan Boyce 6'6 Guard

I'd be surprised if he's playing decent minutes by the end of year. He's an under 6 foot guard that shot 20% from 3 last year. (only 36% overall)

Comment

Their guards are:
                          Damion Baugh - 6'3 115th ranked (also dunked over 7'0 James Wiseman at their madness thing and has been mentioned as NBA potential)

Others:
                          Ryan Boyce 6'6 Guard

I'd be surprised if he's playing decent minutes by the end of year. He's an under 6 foot guard that shot 20% from 3 last year. (only 36% overall)
                          I think Ellis ends up being the starting point guard at some point this year, possibly toward the end. Maybe even at the beginning. But if he isn't starting, I'm thinking Lomax is.
                          Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

lol Katz is on crack
                            Deuces Valley.
                            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Second-year coaches -- who's ascending, who's stagnating - ESPN

by Jeff Borzello. ESPN Staff Writer
                              posted: 10/11/19, 6:00am cst

The rookies in charge will get a lot of the preseason attention, but it's the second season that could make or break the tenure of these coaches.

"The preseason focus on coaches typically centers around the fresh and new -- first-year head coaches -- and the almost done -- the dreaded hot seat. But what about second-year head coaches? Generally, a program has to show some signs of progress by the end of Year 2 or the questions on job status begin in Year 3. So it's time for a pre-Year 2 report card for the second-year head coaches in the major conferences; which coaches have their program on the upswing, what challenges lie ahead and which coaches are already stagnating?

Penny Hardaway, Memphis Tigers
                              There's not a coach in the country entering the season with more hype than Hardaway, and not a program in the country entering the season with more buzz than Memphis. The Tigers bring in the nation's No. 1-ranked recruiting class, the first school to break the Duke-Kentucky hegemony at the top of the class rankings since 2012, led by James Wiseman, the nation's No. 1 incoming freshman. Hardaway has done nothing to quell the preseason adulation, even telling The Athletic recently: "We're going to win a national championship." Hardaway was hired to bring the buzz back to Memphis, get the Tigers recruiting five-star prospects again and keep the best players in the area home for college. He has done all that -- but it's now time for the next step. He has to win. Memphis showed flashes last season, and although they didn't make the NCAA tournament, it's clear Hardaway has an identity for his team. The Tigers played fast, they were aggressive defensively and they stayed in attack mode. Now that Hardaway has upgraded the personnel on his roster, that identity mixed with talent should yield results. There's a lot of hype, but Memphis has the pieces to live up to it....

Dan Hurley, UConn Huskies
                              Hurley's tenure will get an immediate jolt next season when UConn returns to the Big East, where it had an enormous amount of success under Jim Calhoun. But before then, the Huskies have one final season in the American Athletic Conference -- but it's unlikely they will be competing for a conference title as a farewell. UConn finished tied for ninth in Hurley's first season at the helm, but it's clear the Huskies are bringing in more talent than in Kevin Ollie's final couple of years. Jalen Gaffney and James Bouknight were both ESPN 100 recruits in the backcourt, while Akok Akok was a top-50 recruit before enrolling at UConn early. Hurley also already landed ESPN 100 prospect Andre Jackson for the 2020 class. Hurley's calling card in the past has been his team's improvement in his first three years. At Wagner, he went from 13-17 in his first season to 25-6 and 15-3 in the Northeast Conference. It's hard to foresee UConn making that sort of leap in Year 2. But at Rhode Island, it was 8-21 to 14-18 and then 23-10 in Year 3. That seems more likely for what Hurley will do with the Huskies. They will undoubtedly be improved this season, but they're poised to make a big jump in Year 3 -- their first season back in the Big East....

Joe Dooley, East Carolina Pirates
                              Dooley can scoff at the rebuilds attempted annually by Duke and Kentucky, who bring in a handful of five-star prospects to replace departed first-round picks. This season, Dooley is going to attempt one of the bigger -- if not the biggest -- rebuilds in the country. East Carolina is bringing in 11 new players and has only two returnees: Jayden Gardner (16.3 PPG) and Seth LeDay (11.0 PPG). Attempting such an overhaul might not be the worst thing in the world for the Pirates, who have yet to win more than six conference games since 2013, when Jeff Lebo was at the controls and East Carolina was in Conference USA. They beat two AAC teams last season, knocking off Tulane twice and upsetting Cincinnati. It's difficult to truly assess how good East Carolina or Dooley will be in Year 2. There are six junior college transfers among the 11 newcomers, so there will be some experience on the roster, but the Pirates are a complete unknown right now."

Comment

Their guards are:

Others:
                                Ryan Boyce 6'6 Guard

Harris is a volume shooter. He reminds me of SHJ, I’ll pass

Comment

Working...
                                X