• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WuShock Reaper View Post
    AAC preview: Which team will come out on top in 2020? - Sports Map

By: Coty Davis
    Posted: Oct 21, 2019, 5:51 am

James Wiseman, Memphis, Freshman:Arguably the most exciting player to walk the campus of Memphis since Derrick Rose, James Wiseman is by far the most compelling college basketball player in the AAC this season. ESPN ranked the 7'0 center as the nation's top basketball recruit coming out of high scho...

"Last season, the American Athletic Conference established itself as one of the most competitive conferences in college basketball. Eight of the 12 teams finished the season with a winning record, while four basketball programs (Cincinnati, Houston, Temple and UFC) played their way into the bright lights of March Madness last spring.

Ahead of the 2020 NCAA season, the AAC is poised to produce another exciting season with Cincinnati, Houston, Temple and UFC looking to ride their wave of success into the new year, as other schools (Memphis, Wichita State, South Florida, and UConn) awaits to establish themselves as one of the conference's most elite programs.

With arguably the nation's best player residing in Memphis and a few coaching changes that will surely improve a few teams, the AAC will be one of the most intriguing conferences to watch next season.

Five AAC Players to watch
    James Wiseman, Memphis, Freshman:...
    Jarron Cumberland, Cincinnati, Senior:...
    Quinton Rose, Temple, Senior...
    Dejon Jarreau, Houston, Junior...
    Precious Achiuwa, Memphis, Freshman:...

Memphis will fall short of the AAC title:
    Heading into the 2019-2020 college basketball season, all eyes will be on the Memphis Tigers. With head coach Penny Hardaway revamping the basketball program, the Tigers came away with the best recruiting class in the country—headlined by projected No.1 overall pick, James Wiseman. Although the Tigers will emerge as the top team in the conference, one should expect Memphis to fall short of the AAC title to either Cincinnati or Houston. The Tigers are talented, and the hype surrounding them is real. But expect their young talented core to suffer the same fate as Duke (2019) and Kentucky (2015).

Cincinnati will win the AAC Title:
    Last season, the Cincinnati Bearcats pulled an upset to defeat the Houston Cougars for the 2019 American Athletic Conference Men's Basketball title. Although they entered the Big Dance has favorites to reach the Sweet-Sixteen, Cincinnati's had a premature exit by losing to No.10 seed Iowa during the NCAA Tournament. With star guard, Jarron Cumberland, returning for his senior year, look for Cincinnati to break the hearts of Houston or Memphis en route to their third consecutive conference title.

Houston, Memphis, and Cincinnati will make an appearance in the NCAA Tournament:
    Heading into the 2019-20 season, the American Athletic Conference has several teams who will be in contention for a tournament bid, but only three teams will have a chance to dance in March. Memphis, Cincinnati and Houston will all represent the AAC in the NCAA Tournament, with the Bearcats advancing the farthest into the elite eight.

Top-5 Must Watch Games:
    1. Nov. 12 Oregon at Memphis
    2. Dec. 18 Tennessee at Cincinnati
    3. Jan. 15 Wichita State at Temple
    4. Feb. 1 Houston at Cincinnati
    5. Mar. 8 Memphis at Houston

Projected finish:
    1. Memphis (What the hell, you just said earlier that Memphis would boit finish first?)
    2. Cincinnati
    3. Houston
    4. Wichita State
    5. Temple
    6. South Florida
    7. UConn
    8. Tulsa
    9. UCF
    10. SMU
    11. Tulane
    12. ECU"
    So much randomness on this. Of all of the WSU games .. WSU@Temple is the must watch. I wouldn't call that one of WSU's top 5 must watch games let alone the AACs ....

Comment

Newcomer impact rankings -- College basketball's best new faces - ESPN

by Myron Medcalf, Staff Writer
      posted: 10/21/19, 6:00 AM CT

Freshmen and transfers will make or break the chances of several prominent teams in 2019-20. Here are the most important new faces.

"As college basketball's 2019-20 campaign approaches, it's important to know the new names and faces that have either arrived as prep prospects or joined new programs via the transfer portal. It's difficult to keep track of the game's offseason personnel moves, but we're here to help. The following is a list of the top freshmen, grad transfers and sit-out transfers who could make the biggest impacts on their respective teams this season.

Some of the names are obvious. Others on this list, however, haven't received the hype they deserve:

Freshmen
      1. James Wiseman, Memphis Tigers
      He's the projected No. 1 pick in ESPN.com's 2020 mock draft and the star of a stacked recruiting class that's turned Memphis into a potential contender in Penny Hardaway's second season. The 7-foot-1 big man is still raw on offense, but he changes everything on defense for a Tigers squad that allowed American Athletic Conference opponents to make 49% of their shots inside the arc a year ago....

Graduate transfers...
      10. Jaevin Cumberland, Cincinnati Bearcats
      With his cousin Jarron Cumberland recovering from a foot injury, Jaevin Cumberland's presence becomes even more important for a Cincinnati squad that might not have the reigning American Athletic Conference player of the year at full strength to start the season. But Jaevin, who averaged 17.2 PPG and made 40% of his 3-point attempts for Oakland last year, should help the Bearcats stay afloat as their star gets back to competing at 100 percent.

Sit-out transfers...
      2. Quentin Grimes, Houston Cougars
      Houston is still awaiting a verdict on Grimes' waiver application to compete immediately after transferring from Kansas earlier this year, which is why he's on this list. If he's available, Kelvin Sampson will have a former McDonald's All-American in his backcourt after losing Galen Robinson Jr., Corey Davis Jr. and Armoni Brooks. Houston could return to the NCAA tournament....

7. James Scott, Temple Owls
      At Kennesaw State, Scott averaged 17.3 PPG and made 80% of his free throw attempts in 2017-18. Now, he'll join Quinton Rose and Nate Pierre-Louis at Temple, where new coach Aaron McKie might have the league's most intriguing team. If Scott clicks with his new teammates, Temple could rebound...."

Comment

The Internet has given us great access to information. It has also given voices to idiots.

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

So much randomness on this. Of all of the WSU games .. WSU@Temple is the must watch. I wouldn't call that one of WSU's top 5 must watch games let alone the AACs ....
          While your point is well-taken and correct, and I'm 100% confident the writer neither knew this nor was thinking of it when making that selection:

74-78 OT
          79-81 OT
          93-86
          89-81
          81-85 OT
          80-74

the last 6 games have been crazy entertaining.

Comment

Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post

While your point is well-taken and correct, and I'm 100% confident the writer neither knew this nor was thinking of it when making that selection:

74-78 OT
            79-81 OT
            93-86
            89-81
            81-85 OT
            80-74

the last 6 games have been crazy entertaining.
            I've likely been to 100+ Wichita State games in my life, and Temple @ Wichita State two years ago is easily in my top 5 games of all time. Crazy entertaining is an understatement--that night @ CKA was among the loudest I've heard.

Comment

Temple/WSU is the closest thing to a true rivalry we have right now in the AAC. A few more years of similar games, especially if conference titles are on the line, and Temple has potential to become the next Tulsa or Creighton. Problem is I kinda like Temple, so I need to find a reason to hate them.
              "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

Sure seems to me that teams closer to us are more likely to be rivalries like Memphis, Houston, even Cincy. Maybe SMU if they improve.

Comment

Temple was among my least-hated teams in the league. Plus, Dunphy was in my Top 3 CBB coaches that look like their teams'es' mascot, so they had that going for them. Guess I need to update that ranking.

Comment

Originally posted by ABC View Post
                    Sure seems to me that teams closer to us are more likely to be rivalries like Memphis, Houston, even Cincy. Maybe SMU if they improve.
                    Agreed, Cincy and Houston from what happened our first year in the AAC and Memphis because their fan base is so easy to hate.

Comment

• Quentin Grimes received a waiver from the NCAA for Houston .. Great news for the conference. I have Houston as the team to beat this year.

Comment

• Originally posted by ABC View Post
                        True--20 or 30 years ago. But in this day and age, when the AAC has teams from New England to Dallas, the Big 12 includes West Virginia, and the Pac 12 includes Colorado, geographic proximity seems to matter less in college sports.
                        "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
                          Quentin Grimes received a waiver from the NCAA for Houston .. Great news for the conference. I have Houston as the team to beat this year.
                          Seems like everyone got a wavier, but Teddy.
                          The Assman

Comment

• Originally posted by Shock Top View Post

Seems like everyone got a wavier, but Teddy.
                            Thanks Huggy!

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
                              Quentin Grimes received a waiver from the NCAA for Houston .. Great news for the conference. I have Houston as the team to beat this year.
                              Wonder if he was interviewed by the NCAA enforcement staff? Sing Tweety bird, sing...

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• I love it when every other player gets a waiver.

It's even better when the NCAA is nice about a kid going from one super cheaty school to another super cheaty coach.

Meanwhile, Clevin Hannah be like......

Comment

Working...
                                X