Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wufan
    replied
    Wade won’t de limited to a single position based on his skill set. I think he’s ideally a 3 that will mostly play the 4 due to the skills of others on the team. I hate the idea of playing two ideal threes (Dennis and Wade) at the four and an ideal PG (Burton) and ideal SG (Stevenson) at the three to accommodate. Then multiple players are out of position and we lose some of our advantages.

Leave a comment:

• Aargh
    replied
    I imagine there will be situations where DD at the 4 will be the best option. That's essentially a 4-guard lineup, but 4-guard lineups are becoming more common. If 4 guards can pull the defense out to the 3-point line, then it gives the post player some real opportunities to move without the ball and seal a defender from time to time. It also makes it easier to get entry passes in to the post player.

If our opponents go small ball, we can switch Dex to the 4, Early in the season, we can put Stevenson at the 3 and leave Burton at PG and use one of the Fr off ball. Later in the season put one of the Fr at PG, move Burton to the 3, and play Stevenon off ball. If opponents go big, put Wade or Chandler at the 4. That's if Chandler can learn two positions. Learning systems did not seem to be Chandler's strength last year.

There are a lot of options this year and a lot of combinations that fit the style of ball we're seeing in the AAC. In my incredibly uneducated opinion, the only layers who seem to be restricted to a single position are Echenique, Midtgaard, Udeze, Wade, Gordon, and Fernandez.

Wessel did pretty good as a 6'5" PF.

Then there's Bilau, the 6'10" guy who (from limited videos) appears to have the ability to play SF. I don't think it will happen this year, but next year I can imagine seeing a combo on the court of Midtgaard (7'0"), Wade (6'7"), Bilau (6'10"), Dennis (6'5") and Burton (6'4"). There are too many small ball combos next year to even speculate about now.
    Last edited by Aargh; September 14, 2019, 09:29 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Shockm
    commented on 's reply
    If you read my posts, you should know that I said he another option to play at the 4. Trey Wade will play the most minutes at the 4. I think that PBC may be another option to back up the position as well as DD. With the number of quality guards we have I could see DD getting some minutes at the 4 but don’t have a prediction of how much or who gets more minutes after Wade.

• Steeleshocker
    commented on 's reply
    Gardner was not skinny

• wufan
    commented on 's reply
    So DD is your #1 at the 4 this year?

• Shockm
    replied
    Originally posted by wufan View Post

Yes, Dexter can play the 4. Yes, he can guard skinny players as tall as 6-7. If he’s playing 15 mph at the 4, that’s probably to the detriment of our team. Need one or more of the 6-8+ players to cover 15+ minutes at the 4.
    Jayden Gardner is 6’7” and 235 lbs. and that is not skinny. While Dexter is ideally a 3 by position, and he can guard perimeter players, he is as strong as a moose, as athletic as a kangaroo, and at 210-215 lbs. has proven that he can handle bigger players than he is. Gardner played mainly inside last year as a post and our 4 last year was too weak and skinny to handle him. Dexter, while giving up a couple of inches did a great job of stopping him inside.

Leave a comment:

• wufan
    replied
    Originally posted by Shockm View Post
    You all are concerned about the 4 and the options you mention are Wade, and IPBC besides the Freshmen.

But You all are still leaving out Dexter as a possibility to play the 4 sometimes. He proved he could guard bigger players (at least 6'7) in the AAC (Gardner, Tulane and others iirc) and then in the NIT against Clemson and Indiana. His versatility is a great possibility, especially since it was pointed out that we have good perimeter players, and guards). While Dexter wouldn't expect to play a full game at the 4 position, he remains a viable option on the defensive side and can certainly play a flex 4 on offense.
    Yes, Dexter can play the 4. Yes, he can guard skinny players as tall as 6-7. If he’s playing 15 mph at the 4, that’s probably to the detriment of our team. Need one or more of the 6-8+ players to cover 15+ minutes at the 4.

Leave a comment:

• ShockerPrez
    replied
    Eff it, I'll be honest. I'm bullish on everyone.

Leave a comment:

• ShockerPrez
    replied
    I am actually bullish on Poor Bear...

Leave a comment:

• Shockm
    replied
    You all are concerned about the 4 and the options you mention are Wade, and IPBC besides the Freshmen.

But You all are still leaving out Dexter as a possibility to play the 4 sometimes. He proved he could guard bigger players (at least 6'7) in the AAC (Gardner, Tulane and others iirc) and then in the NIT against Clemson and Indiana. His versatility is a great possibility, especially since it was pointed out that we have good perimeter players, and guards). While Dexter wouldn't expect to play a full game at the 4 position, he remains a viable option on the defensive side and can certainly play a flex 4 on offense.

Leave a comment:

• wufan
    replied
    I’m not worried about the 5. We will be really good there. It’s the 20 mpg that Trey Wade isn’t playing there that is highly questionable.

Leave a comment:

• Wuzee
    replied
    Originally posted by wufan View Post
    I feel that our backcourt will be a strength, whether that is Burton and Stevenson with the freshman off the bench, or some combination of freshman and/or sophomore starters. How much of a strength that will be, is yet to be seen.

I’m still concerned about the 4. Need hustle and defense from that position and we will be good.
    Just an optimist’s view:

Not disputing the strength of the backcourt. But I think we should be seeing a much improved frontcourt as well.

Jaime was playing hurt last year, and is going to be much more mobile and active. I think he improves every stat line this season, and becomes an elite rim protector.

Poor Bear has cut up his body, and the weight loss and resultant increase in quickness makes him a legit option at the 4 if we need to go big. The question with him is his recognition and desire on D, which I think has to at least be better than last year. We already know he’s got the offense, so I’m less worried about the size problem at the 4 than some.

Asbjorn has already been singled out by Marshall as having made a jump. He’ll be a force inside as well.

For these reasons, I don’t see Joshaphat and Deantoni playing large roles this year. They can sit back and learn and adjust their games with an eye toward 2020-21.

I’m pretty much freaking psyched for this campaign. We’ll be a threat from day 1 with huge upside and even brighter days ahead. Let’s do this!

Leave a comment:

• wufan
    replied
    I feel that our backcourt will be a strength, whether that is Burton and Stevenson with the freshman off the bench, or some combination of freshman and/or sophomore starters. How much of a strength that will be, is yet to be seen.

I’m still concerned about the 4. Need hustle and defense from that position and we will be good.

Leave a comment:

• WstateU
    commented on 's reply
    I could use a PM!

• ShockerPrez
    commented on 's reply
    If they can finish from 2 feet, we will go undefeated.
Working...
X