No announcement yet.

Penny's Memphis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Penny ain't gonna need to learn how to coach at this recruiting clip. Are all these signees from the Memphis area? Because if he's pulling 5 stars from outside Memphis proper... Whoa.

I just hope they've got all their I's dotted and their T's crossed with respect to the booster payments. They need to keep it completely separate from the coaching staff. If they run it like BCS football they'll be golden... until one of the parents gets unhappy with the payment schedule. Keep the money flowin' and keep it strictly anonymous and Memphis just might go places.

They should pay with Crypto.

T

...:cool:

Comment

Here's where Hardaway got his recruits. Name - National ranking and hometown

Wiseman - #1 - Memphis - C - 7'0"
      Precious Achiuwa - #14 - Montverde, FL - SF - 6'9"
      Boogie Ellis - #37 - San Diego - CG - 6'2"
      D.J. Jeffries - #48, Olive Branch, MS - PF - 6'7"
      Lester Quinones - #56 - Bradenton, FL - SG - 6'5"
      Malcolm Dandridge - #98 - Memphis - C - 6'8"
      Damien Baugh - #108 - Memphis - CG - 6'4"

Then he got Rayjon Trucker - PG - 6'5" SR trfr from Arkansas Little Rock. I don't know this guy's eligibility status for next year.

Penny is getting players from a wide geographical area, but it doesn't hurt that he already had Wiseman when he went after the rest of those guys.

Memphis fan wanted a repeat of what they had with Calipari. That recruiting class does look like a UK class. I wouldn't be surprised if they're a little shaky at the start of the season, and lose some games they shouldn't. Then have it figured out by conference time and play much better in conference han in OOC.

The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
      We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• rjl
        rjl commented
        Editing a comment
        Rayjon is a graduate transfer and can play right away.

Originally posted by Aargh View Post

Then he got Rayjon Trucker - PG - 6'5" SR trfr from Arkansas Little Rock. I don't know this guy's eligibility status for next year.

Penny is getting players from a wide geographical area, but it doesn't hurt that he already had Wiseman when he went after the rest of those guys.

Memphis fan wanted a repeat of what they had with Calipari. That recruiting class does look like a UK class. I wouldn't be surprised if they're a little shaky at the start of the season, and lose some games they shouldn't. Then have it figured out by conference time and play much better in conference han in OOC.
      That's an absolutely stunning and a dominating performance by the former (current?) lawn maintenance and barbershop entrepreneur.

When he signed Wiseman I figured it was just some hookers in the ol' "recruiting van". But this crop of blue-chippers speaks of a vastly more sophisticated operation. I have no doubt that the machinery Calipari thrived under has been in place since his departure. It just took the right guy to flash the green light.

Young Penny Hardaway, in the skillet whippin' magic
      Bad bitches, bad habits, yeah, that money gotta have it

T

Comment

• proshox
        proshox commented
        Editing a comment
        This is larger collection of top talent than all of Calipari’s recruiting classes combined. This is a whole new animal...

I expect Memphis to be very successful (top ten classes & 4 seed or better) until Penny leaves or the Bluebloods get Memphis punished for joining the club.

I mentioned this at AAC Tourney time....what a fanatical group and huge experience....

Comment

Comment

You've got a program that hasn't made the NCAA's in 5 years, has overall been mostly mediocre for 10, and all of a sudden they hire an Ex-NBA high school coach and nab the #1 recruiting class in the nation beating blue bloods who've had connections with these players since they were children? Penny's program has got to be a running joke in the NCAA enforcement office.

"Hey Ted, where you headed to?"
          "I'm going to lunch... right after I bust Memphis."

"See you tomorrow Bill." "BTW... I might be a little late to the office tomorrow. I'm going to run a few errands on my way in, stopping off in Tennessee to bust Memphis."

I've always been a Memphis fan but this whole deal screams, "you reap what you sow." From firing a hall-of-fame coach, to hiring a never-done-nuttin', to nabbing an insta-#1 recruiting class. I'm thinkin' Memphis is gonna come down very hard and fast.

T

Comment

• OregonShocker
            OregonShocker commented
            Editing a comment
            Throw in there his ties to shoes (no pun) and it all looks like a house of cards...

• rjl
            rjl commented
            Editing a comment
            Boogie Ellis was a Duke commit, but got out of his LOI when Duke grabbed some better players.

DJ Jeffries decommitted from Kentucky for similar reasons.

Seems like the next 30 for 30 on ESPN.

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post

Think Rayjon Tucker is immediately eligible (KU was one of his final choices). Olive Branch, MS is a Memphis suburb.
            Last edited by pinstripers; May 20, 2019, 05:31 PM.

Comment

I'll go on record of simply saying...any non P-5 school (other than the Shocks) that can steal 4 and 5 Stars from Duke, Kentucky and the Chickens are fine by me!!!
              FINAL FOURS:
              1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
              1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
              Number of Times Ranked: 157
              Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
              Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
              Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
              #3 - Dec. 2017
              #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
              #2 ~ March 2014
              Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

https://twitter.com/mericanmania/sta...729333255?s=21
                "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• wufan
                  wufan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You just can’t argue with that! Someone on twitter said so, so it is.

• C0|dB|00ded
                  C0|dB|00ded commented
                  Editing a comment
                  lol.

Sounded like a scared tweet.

T

Penny is definitely cheating but that makes no difference until he gets caught. In the meantime count me very scared of the program he is build-(buy)ing. He's gonna get a good result just by rolling the ball out on the floor.

One caveat to his recruiting success though will be the pressure to perform. He MUST get to the second weekend in the Dance with the #1 recruiting class in the nation. End of story.

Of course he'd never get fired recruiting like this, but man he would be exposed. I wish him all the luck in the world. He certainly is on the right track for wins.

T

Comment

Sincerely happy to not be in the Valley.

Shox will sweep Memphis the next two years.

Comment

• WstateU
                    WstateU commented
                    Editing a comment

• Kung Wu
                    Kung Wu commented
                    Editing a comment
                    boogidah boogidah

• 1972Shocker
                    1972Shocker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    @KungWu can you make this a sticky post. I'm primarily interested WstateU's comment.

If this does happen will admission be charged for the Ultimate Victory Lap of our esteemed WstateU

Penny does seem a lot cooler than Self, Coach K, etc. So, there is that. He was pretty much the **** in that town in the 90s. And had a mini me voiced by Chris Rock. Who wouldn't want to go play for him?
                  "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

I think the natural inclination is to think that people doing well MUST be cheating, but I would hope not...just a naive guy, I guess...

But then a Tiger fan at the AAC told me that TUBBY refused to cheat which was a reason he was gone....:(

Comment

If there's any coach who can put together a recruiting class like that without cheating, Penny would top the list.

If it were possible to design and build a coach specifically for recruiting purposes, you'd end up with Hardaway - maybe Jordan, but Jordan isn't coaching. On an official visit, Hardaway can show the recruit the Air Penny shoes the player can choose from during his college career, while standing in the FedEx Arena with a video of Hardaway playing in an NBA All-Star game running on the scoreboard video screens.

Throw in that Wiseman came along at EXACTLY the right time. It's easy to recruit future NBA players when the recruiter is an NBA All-Star and already has the #1 recruit in the nation to offer up as a teammate. After Wiseman committed, other recruits know they're not going to be the focus of opponents' defenses.

Hardaway could emerge as the "hip" coach to play for. If he can win some games with the recruits he's getting, he could be set up for a long run of getting top classes.
                    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Working...
                    X