X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mark Berman's new AP Top 25 ballot - The Roanoke Times

By Mark Berman
    Posted: 01/26/20, 10:45pm cst

12. West Virginia (16-3) moves up two spots after squashing Texas and Missouri. Next: a big game Wed. at Texas Tech and a Sat. game with Kansas State.

20. Houston (16-4) moves up three spots after beating UConn and South Florida. Next: Wed. at East Carolina and Sat. at Cincinnati.

25. For this last spot, I looked hard at Creighton, East Tenn. State and Wichita State. But in the end, I decided to put Auubrn (17-2) back on my ballot after a one-week absence. Auburn bounced back from its first two losses of the year by beating South Carolina and Iowa State. Next for Auburn: a Tuesday visit to Mississippi and a huge game Sat. against Kentucky.

Comment

• Illinois, Kentucky climb in Andy Katz's latest Power 36 men's basketball rankings - NCAA.COM

ANDY KATZ, NCAA.COM CORRESPONDENT (not an AP Voter)
      JANUARY 27, 2020, 01/26/20, 11:00pm cst

"For the first time in weeks, there is no change in the top eight in the Power 36. There is also starting to be some separation atop the standings in the ACC, Big 12, Big Ten and Big East, with the contenders moving away from some of the pretenders.

Time to digest and debate the latest Power 36:

16. West Virginia (18): The Mountaineers are a team that few will want to face in March. Their iconic coach Bob Huggins also needs to get in the Hall of Fame. He earned win No. 876 to pass Adolph Rupp on all-time wins.

21. Houston (25): The Cougars are the team to chase again in the American.

27. Tulsa (35): Pay attention to the Golden Hurricane. This squad can ball and is making a surge toward a possible NCAA tournament bid.

31. Wichita State (30): The Shockers got back to winning, this time two in a row. I’ve still got faith in this crew being a tough out.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShock Reaper View Post
        Illinois, Kentucky climb in Andy Katz's latest Power 36 men's basketball rankings - NCAA.COM

ANDY KATZ, NCAA.COM CORRESPONDENT (not an AP Voter)
        JANUARY 27, 2020, 01/26/20, 11:00pm cst

27. Tulsa (35): Pay attention to the Golden Hurricane. This squad can ball and is making a surge toward a possible NCAA tournament bid.

31. Wichita State (30): I’ve still got faith in this crew being a tough out.
        BUT rates Tulsa higher. One team he see's as being a "tough out" (Wichita)....and the other as a "possible NCAA tournament bid."

Andy...you're kinda contradicting here. How can you rate a 6 loss team as a possible tourney team higher than a 3 loss team that will be a "tough out'???

FINAL FOURS:
        1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
        1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
        Number of Times Ranked: 157
        Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
        Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
        Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
        #3 - Dec. 2017
        #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
        #2 ~ March 2014
        Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• Originally posted by AZ Shocker View Post

BUT rates Tulsa higher. One team he see's as being a "tough out" (Wichita)....and the other as a "possible NCAA tournament bid."

Andy...you're kinda contradicting here. How can you rate a 6 loss team as a possible tourney team higher than a 3 loss team that will be a "tough out'???

i get the feeling hes looking at momentum and recent work. ya, the shox have won two straight but theyve stumbled more recent than tulsa. watched the memphis game.. definitely a much different team than i watched against boise state.

haiith is feeling the heat.. rio grand valley isnt somewhere he wants to coach next.

Comment

• Originally posted by abdullah_sharif View Post

i get the feeling hes looking at momentum and recent work. ya, the shox have won two straight but theyve stumbled more recent than tulsa. watched the memphis game.. definitely a much different team than i watched against boise state.

haiith is feeling the heat.. rio grand valley isnt somewhere he wants to coach next.
            LOL...Rio Grande Valley!!! I THINK HE IS A HORRIBLE COACH...brutal everywhere he has been...and yet, no denying this team playing well enough...

Comment

• Luke DeCock’s AP Top 25 basketball poll ballot: Week 13

Unranked: WSU (previous unranked)

In: Penn State to 22 (previous unranked)
              In: LSU to 23 (previous unranked)

OUT: Arizona (23), Marquette (24)

Comment

• Associated Press Top 25 basketball poll: Jerry Carino's ballot

Jerry Carino, Asbury Park Press
                Published 5:00 a.m. ET Jan. 27, 2020

Entered: LSU at No. 22 after wins over Florida and Texas; Creighton at No. 24 after wins over Xavier and DePaul; Penn State at No. 25 after wins over Ohio State and Michigan.

Dropped out: No. 19 Texas Tech after losses to TCU and No. 15 Kentucky; No. 20 Memphis after losses to Tulsa and SMU; No. 22 Arizona after a loss to Arizona State.

Also considered: Indiana (15-5), Wichita State (17-3).

Comment

• Think we’ll be about the same spot as last week.

Should be back in with a win this week though.

Comment

• College Basketball Top 25 Power Rankings: Baylor, Gonzaga lead the way - NBC Sports

By Rob Dauster (not an AP Voter)
                    Jan 27, 2020, 1:23 AM EST

Unranked: WSU (previous unranked)

21. CREIGHTON (16-5, 25)
                    22. COLORADO (16-4, NR)
                    23. PENN STATE (14-5, NR)
                    24. RUTGERS (15-5, NR)
                    25. ARIZONA (13-6, 19)

NEW ADDITIONS: No. 22 Colorado, No. 23 Penn State, No. 24 Rutgers
                    DROPPED OUT: No. 16 Texas Tech, No. 21 Memphis, No. 22 Michigan

Comment

• Scott Richey: Perspective on Illini's place in AP Top 25

https://www.news-gazette.com/sports/...cf481edff.html

20. LSU (previous: 24)
                      21. Colorado (previous: 23)
                      22. Houston (previous: not ranked)
                      23. Rutgers (previous: 25)
                      24. Penn State (previous: not ranked)
                      25. Wichita State (previous: 19)

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShock Reaper View Post
                        Scott Richey: Perspective on Illini's place in AP Top 25

https://www.news-gazette.com/sports/...cf481edff.html

20. LSU (previous: 24)
                        21. Colorado (previous: 23)
                        22. Houston (previous: not ranked)
                        23. Rutgers (previous: 25)
                        24. Penn State (previous: not ranked)
                        25. Wichita State (previous: 19)
                        Wait .. he dropped us 6 spots after winning twice? Looks like he forgot to update correctly last week i guess?

Comment

• We may hover around 25-35 the rest of the year. I think we'll go 7-4 the rest of the way, but not rip off 4 or 5 in a row to elevate. I think we'll win 2 drop 1, win 2 drop 1.... which will be enough for voters to keep us just on the cusp.

I'm fine with that, but leave open the possability that things start clicking and shots start falling again.
                          "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• 24 on Murray's ballot.

Comment

• Monday's Top 25 And 1 rankings - Gary Parrish (not an AP Voter)

Posted: 01/27/20, 9:55am cst

https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...ankings/top25/

#10 West Virginia
                              Oscar Tshiebwe finished with 14 points and eight rebounds in Saturday's 74-51 victory over Missouri. The Mountaineers are 10-3 in Quadrant 1/Quadrant 2 opportunities with zero losses outside of the first two quadrants.

#19 Houston
                              DeJon Jarreau finished with 12 points and six assists in Sunday's 68-49 victory over South Florida. The Cougars are 10-1 in their past 11 games with the lone loss coming at Tulsa.

#20 Wichita State
                              Dexter Dennis finished with 18 points and 11 rebounds in Saturday's 87-79 victory over UCF. Two of the Shockers' three losses are to teams ahead of them in the Top 25 And 1.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Wait .. he dropped us 6 spots after winning twice? Looks like he forgot to update correctly last week i guess?
                                Or maybe other teams around us had better wins than us? It's not just what WSU does that matters. Wins over USF and UCF aren't actually eye-catchy.
                                Deuces Valley.
                                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Working...
                                X