No announcement yet.

2019-20 National Rankings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I would also say that the totally subjective poll that is the AP, what with all these self-proclaimed expert sports writers doing the “analysis” is way outdated and certainly not as accurate as the more analytics-based polls. And we seem to fare well in those polls although none of them agree so WTH do I know!

Comment

• I don't like the theory of avoiding the rankings because it creates a target that the team has to deal with. Suck it up.

I do like this new group realizing that they'll have to do twice as much as some other teams to get their just deserts. And hopefully getting pissed about it in the process.
      Last edited by Cdizzle; December 23, 2019, 09:35 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
        I don't like the theory of avoiding the rankings because it creates a target that the team has to deal with. Suck it up.

I do like this new group realizing that they'll have to do twice as much as some other teams to get their just deserts. And hopefully getting pissed about it in the process.
        This is much of what I got excited about early on this season. We’ve got a great group of young men who have absolutely bought in to Marshall’s system. They were bought in before the WVU loss. That loss brought out even more toughness and grit. I’m excited to see what the next few years have in store! We won’t have long to wait to get a preview!
        Once a Shocker, Always a Shocker-- RIP Guy Alang-Ntang

Shocker Basketball=Life

Comment

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post
          I would agree we got our ass handed to us on the boards against WVU but overall I’d say that was a winnable game until very near the end and the final score doesn’t really reflect how close the game was throughout.
          Yeah we got beat but I went back and looked at that game. Say guys we were only down by 4 points with four minutes in that game. And then that floppy head kid started hitting 3 point shots that hit nothing but but the bottom of the net. And WVU is a hard team to prepare for in 1 day. I am not making excuses we got our butts whipped but we were in that game for most of it. We played dumb and hero ball. I an with Coach hope we get another shot at them in the future. Go Shocks.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheShocktocles View Post

Yeah we got beat but I went back and looked at that game. Say guys we were only down by 4 points with four minutes in that game. And then that floppy head kid started hitting 3 point shots that hit nothing but but the bottom of the net. And WVU is a hard team to prepare for in 1 day. I am not making excuses we got our butts whipped but we were in that game for most of it. We played dumb and hero ball. I an with Coach hope we get another shot at them in the future. Go Shocks.
            I think WVU is a bit underrated like we are. If we played them 10 times, we would win at least 4.

WVU will be fun to watch put the screws to KU.
            "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• its obvious that poll voters don't pay attention to all of the better programs. if they did, gary parrish wouldn't have $hit to write about in his poll attacks article. i, like Bluzrover prefer the technicals... they provide a much better guide as to the internal strength of a program.

on a side note, not sure how many have seen bart torvik's site.. especially the trend stats.. interesting and fun to see how teams get better or regress throughout the season. information like this helps a ton when it comes to putting down a little slice in vegas (or on your phone) for your favorite team.

Comment

• Originally posted by abdullah_sharif View Post
                its obvious that poll voters don't pay attention to all of the better programs. if they did, gary parrish wouldn't have $hit to write about in his poll attacks article. i, like Bluzrover prefer the technicals... they provide a much better guide as to the internal strength of a program.

on a side note, not sure how many have seen bart torvik's site.. especially the trend stats.. interesting and fun to see how teams get better or regress throughout the season. information like this helps a ton when it comes to putting down a little slice in vegas (or on your phone) for your favorite team.
                Torvik's site is great. It's an offshoot of KenPom with much more custom analysis built in. KenPom is great for general stuff (and in general, is so useful when you want to view a team's schedule and roster all on the same page), but Torvik takes things a step farther than KenPom.
                "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• I find it interesting that people are complaining about Dayton, Liberty, and Duquesne are getting votes. It wasn’t that long ago that we were Dayton, Liberty, and Duquesne....

Comment

• Originally posted by Jhook89 View Post
                    I find it interesting that people are complaining about Dayton, Liberty, and Duquesne are getting votes. It wasn’t that long ago that we were Dayton, Liberty, and Duquesne....
                    We have plenty in common with Dayton, from a long-term perspective. But the only way "we were" Liberty and Duquesne is if human history started somewhere around 1990, and then ended roughly 2003. Dayton is a "market comparable" to WSU; the other two are not, by any quantitative or qualitative perspective. Let's not sell the historical significance and lineage of WSU MBB quite that short.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jhook89 View Post
                      I find it interesting that people are complaining about Dayton, Liberty, and Duquesne are getting votes. It wasn’t that long ago that we were Dayton, Liberty, and Duquesne....
                      Who was complaining about Dayton?
                      Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post

We have plenty in common with Dayton, from a long-term perspective. But the only way "we were" Liberty and Duquesne is if human history started somewhere around 1990, and then ended roughly 2003. Dayton is a "market comparable" to WSU; the other two are not, by any quantitative or qualitative perspective. Let's not sell the historical significance and lineage of WSU MBB quite that short.
                        Yes, you are correct that we weren’t in as small of a
                        conference and we did have more name recognition than them, but we most definitely were a team trying to overcome a perceived lessor conference affiliation and a schedule that included far less opportunities to showcase how good we really were against quality teams. Lets not forget that before Marshall arrived the amount of times we had made the ncaa tournament was in the single digits...

Comment

• WSU has been ranked in 22 different seasons. Seven were under Miller, and now eight under Marshall. Smithson had four seasons. Turgeon, 1 and Thompson 2 seasons.

Check out Wichita State's Complete College AP Polls History and More About College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post

always had mad respect since playing blackjack at the wynn with a big dayton booster.. speaking with him i noticed that their program and ours are similar in so many levels. historically strong basketball program, struggling city with a growing university involvement in community, passionate fan base.

liberty is the little guy that gave us coach okon.. small school that will win 30 games, but not accomplish much. is it their fault?.? not totally... although a school like that should be on the buy list for a bunch of majors like wichita state - then we may know how good they truly are. i see them losing a close on at a slumping lsu and not losing again.. probably an 8 seed at best.

duquesne was an absolute dumpster fire before snagging Dambrot from Akron... in fact, Dambrot went to the Dukes to be able to make the ncaa tournament in a multi-bid league (a10).. i see them as up and coming, but in no way a top 40 team. look to see them regress out of the conversation once a10 play starts.

Comment

• I do feel for these teams not getting a better schedule, but Liberty’s best win is Akron (70 Net) and Duquesne best win is Indiana State. Seriously! They will have a chance to make some hay in the A10 if they are up to the challenge.

Dayton on the other hand has a close loss in Lawrence, and has beaten St. Mary’s, Colorado, Georgia, and Va Tech. Pretty good!

Correction. Dayton lost by 2 to Colorado.
                              Livin the dream

Comment

• 8 seed for Liberty? After our seedings in 2016 (11) and 2017 (10) that makes me throw up
                                in my mouth A LOT.
                                Dominance is a state of mind.

Comment

Working...
                                X