No announcement yet.

Wichita State at Furman Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missed the game but was so happy to come home to seeing that we got the dub. From reading the thread, seems like it had it’s frustrating moments like just about every game this season but we come away victorious against a damn good team in their territory. 3G’s 500th won, 20 game streak alive and we survive and advance. So awesome for this team. Quite the bad news bears turnaround.

on the flip side a feel so bad for Furman. They deserved to be in the tournament. They deserved a better first round draw than getting us. In the committee’s defense, I think our record and metrics threw them off from having an accurate picture of our team. Congrats to Furman for a great season.

Let’s beat them Tigers now.

Go Shocks!
    Last edited by Walker; March 20, 2019, 09:29 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by XManCometh View Post
      SHJ hero ball time
      Right again.

Comment

• Overall, we played well. We dont win that game if we didnt. We just made some of the more puzzling plays leading to turnovers.

This season has been nice. While missing the NCAAs sucks, its been satisfying to see our guys get better and win some tough games.
        "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• I too thought about making fun of saggy man boobs in FU’s student section, and then I remembered the half dozen or so sad souls in our student section who always somehow populate half of the first row, and have for most of this century. Twenty year plan I guess. Doctorates in Dungeons and Dragons.

Comment

• Shock Top
            Shock Top commented
            Editing a comment
            At least that dude had the cajones to do body paint

• I want to give some credit to the defensive gameplan. While Rafferty scored in the past effectively, we took away a good portion of their offense. If he caught it on the perimeter we would sit back in the middle and clog up cutting lanes while pressuring the shooters on the perimeter. That's a big part of what they do offensively is back cut you to death. Then by making Rafferty go 1 on 1 instead of doubling down we very infrequently left shooters wide open, which dropped their 3 point percentage and never let them get rhythm shots to get going. You pick your poison, and we figured against an undersized team that shoots the ball well we would force Rafferty to go for 35 points.

In fact the key play was down the stretch while we were trading buckets. We were up 2 and I think Rafferty was tired of just tying the game, so he kicked it out for a 3 to take the lead. But we never left the shooters, MM makes a great closeout and we got the ball back.
          You miss 100% of the shots you don't take....

.....but, statistically speaking, you miss 99% of the shots you do take.

Comment

• I am gonna keep an eye on this guy. I like him.

"He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

• Originally posted by Blackmag View Post
              I think PoorBear,albeit not a great defensive player is definitely quicker than Mitguard and Echenigue. Would have been nice to see, not questioning the game plan, just thought it could be injury related. He’s been seeing minutes lately and doing some good things.
              Naw. Coaches watch PB everyday and I have a feeling they saw Rafferty as eating him up and spitting him out or he would have gotten an opportunity. The only way he would have gotten in is if Ech and AM were both in foul trouble.

Comment

• Originally posted by Steeleshocker View Post
                I want to give some credit to the defensive gameplan. While Rafferty scored in the past effectively, we took away a good portion of their offense. If he caught it on the perimeter we would sit back in the middle and clog up cutting lanes while pressuring the shooters on the perimeter. That's a big part of what they do offensively is back cut you to death. Then by making Rafferty go 1 on 1 instead of doubling down we very infrequently left shooters wide open, which dropped their 3 point percentage and never let them get rhythm shots to get going. You pick your poison, and we figured against an undersized team that shoots the ball well we would force Rafferty to go for 35 points.

In fact the key play was down the stretch while we were trading buckets. We were up 2 and I think Rafferty was tired of just tying the game, so he kicked it out for a 3 to take the lead. But we never left the shooters, MM makes a great closeout and we got the ball back.
                Yes. Doubling down on Rafferty would have been a disaster. I liked us clogging the lane with our bigs.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

Yes. Doubling down on Rafferty would have been a disaster. I liked us clogging the lane with our bigs.
                  Yep. Pretty gutsy call on Marshall’s part. In the second half, Rafferty certainly got his but the rest of the team never really got going.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

Naw. Coaches watch PB everyday and I have a feeling they saw Rafferty as eating him up and spitting him out or he would have gotten an opportunity. The only way he would have gotten in is if Ech and AM were both in foul trouble.
                    Ech and Midtgaard were both in foul trouble. They each had 4.
                    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Just wanted to come back here and give congrats on the win. I think you could see what Rafferty means to the Furman team. If he hadn't got hurt in the SoCon tourney I think our road would have turned out differently. The Shockers were as advertised, a talented well coached team playing well at the end. I didn't understand how you guys were a 6 seed. You should have been higher. I think you guys are going to have some great seasons coming up and hopefully you can continue all the way to NYC this year. Good luck Sunday against the Tigers. Hopefully we will see you down the road. Go Paladins!

Comment

• If this team could win 2 more, and I think they have the capability, they would be playing in MSG. That would be 3 consecutive road games, which is a difficult task.

Then Marshall can say they're playing on what was the home court for Cleanthony Early and Ron Baker. It would also be a home game for McDuffie - on the court of an NBA team.
                        The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                        We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                          If this team could win 2 more, and I think they have the capability, they would be playing in MSG. That would be 3 consecutive road games, which is a difficult task.

Then Marshall can say they're playing on what was the home court for Cleanthony Early and Ron Baker. It would also be a home game for McDuffie - on the court of an NBA team.

Comment

• Originally posted by shockerfan View Post
                            I am gonna keep an eye on this guy. I like him.
                            Kinda different final statement than came from Bradley re having the press on board.
                            "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                            ---------------------------------------
                            Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                            "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                            "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• Can someone who, like me, is insane and rewatches some of these games confirm something with me?

At the 2:47 mark in the 2nd half, Erik throws the ball off a Furman player's leg out of bounds with 5 seconds on the shot clock. They reset the clock to 20? That is not the rule is it? I am guessing the shot still has to hit the rim to get more on the shot clock?

Not only did the ball not hit the rim, the ball didn't even get shot. But we got an extra 15 seconds on that play and scored to retake the lead. Was that a giant F up?

Comment

Working...
                            X