Wichita State at Furman Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TheShocktocles View Post

Yeap. The two headed monster gave up 27 points and 9 rebounds to a skinny non athletic 6ft 8 215 pound center. And this center backed down our centers most of the game so that he could get his patent 2 ft jump hook. That's bullsht. Nope our guys were not imept but they got their butts whipped on the defense by a player that was not even full strength. I know some of you all disagree but I don't think Raferty should have been able to do that against us. Go shocks.
    You make it sound so easy.......

They got in foul trouble. Most of the 2nd half best they could do was just guard him straight up and not be too aggressive because they would have gotten whistled.

Rafferty did what he does. Wasn't much more AM or JE could have done defensively without both fouling out with 10 mins to go.
    "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

Yes good move. But come on guys. Raferty is good but he is not a 1st round draft choice or even a 2nd round draft. He is just a smart, savvy , non athletic 6ft 8 215 senior without a 3 point shot. He scores mostly inside. His coach said he played hurt. He should not have scored close to 30 points against our two 7 foot centers. I am sorry but that's bullsht. He would not have scored that against Kadeem Colby, E Orupe, S. Morris, Shadrack Luffile, Bush Wadakota, etc. Those guys would swatted Raferty shot back down his throat.

Our bigs have to do a better job on the defense. Maybe that's next year when JE can show he can play more than 21 minutes before he cries like a baby to come out because he tired. Maybe after AM takes a dance class so he can move his feet better. Still I am happy our bigs are playing for us but I see so much more these guys can potentially give. Go shocks.
      No one can argue the fact that AM is terrible right now when it comes to on ball defense. Hopefully he can improve somehow, drastically, before next year. JE for whatever reason, hopefully because he is hurt seems to be a shell of the rim protector he was earlier in the season. Right now neither one of them seem capable of jumping off the floor more than about 2 inches.

On the positive side, they rebounded and were good on offense. If we had even an average interior passing team they would have dominated this game offensively.

Comment

• pie n eye
        pie n eye commented
        Editing a comment
        Midtgaard has never been as bad as you make him out to be.

• Topshock
        Topshock commented
        Editing a comment
        Actually I think he has made remarkable improvement this year. His short range shooting, screening and attitude are excellent it's just the on ball defense that is a big problem right now.

• Originally posted by molly jabali View Post
      I wasn't able to see the game, but it sounds like we were fortunate to win with this pack of inept big men, and hero seeking guards.....

These guys are who they are...ONE on the entire team would have played last year. I'll take how far they have come.
      Out two bigs vs Raferty -- held our own
      WSU Raferty
      Pts 25 27
      FGA 11-14 11-19
      Rebounds 20 8
      Assist 0 5
      Turnover 2 1
      Steals 1 5
      Blocks 3 0
      "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
      ---------------------------------------
      Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
      "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
      "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• Topshock
        Topshock commented
        Editing a comment
        I mean I guess, if you are satisfied with a 6'11" and 7'0" player giving up 27 mostly at the basket to a 6'8" player.

Yes good move. But come on guys. Raferty is good but he is not a 1st round draft choice or even a 2nd round draft. He is just a smart, savvy , non athletic 6ft 8 215 senior without a 3 point shot. He scores mostly inside. His coach said he played hurt. He should not have scored close to 30 points against our two 7 foot centers. I am sorry but that's bullsht. He would not have scored that against Kadeem Colby, E Orupe, S. Morris, Shadrack Luffile, Bush Wadakota, etc. Those guys would swatted Raferty shot back down his throat.

Our bigs have to do a better job on the defense. Maybe that's next year when JE can show he can play more than 21 minutes before he cries like a baby to come out because he tired. Maybe after AM takes a dance class so he can move his feet better. Still I am happy our bigs are playing for us but I see so much more these guys can potentially give. Go shocks.
      you don't know #*% about basketball. that guy is one of the best college basketball players in the country.. almost historically.. like that daum kid from sds.

don't give the shockers bad karma with such ignorant posts, please. wichita state pulled the upset. let's move on, shall we?

Comment

• I'm okay with winning games in the post season especially against teams seeded above the Shocks. Would be nice if it was purty but by now you take the wins with this team any way you can get them and most of the time it will be a bit ugly.

Comment

• We double down on the post and we lose that game by 15 points. We play face up defense the way some of you wanted on Raferty and the way it was being called, we still lose by 15 because Brycen Bush would’ve been playing center by the time it was over with. All of those slip screens and over the top passes we made would have not been possible.

Our game plan was solid. The threes they took were out of rhythm because they didn’t get set up on most of them by Raferty, like they had all season.

In fact, I would say it was one of the top two or three scouting results we have had all year.

Last edited by shoxlax; March 21, 2019, 07:40 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by another shocker View Post

you don't know #*% about basketball. that guy is one of the best college basketball players in the country.. almost historically.. like that daum kid from sds.

don't give the shockers bad karma with such ignorant posts, please. wichita state pulled the upset. let's move on, shall we?
            You are entitled to your opinion and you are entitled to be wrong. Raferty ain't sht. He is not one of the best college basketball players in the country. He doesn't have any of the skills of Daum. Daum may play in the NBA. Raferty better be working on his master degree.

Comment

• Aargh
              Aargh commented
              Editing a comment
              Keep doubling down, Shocktocles, you don't have the winning hand in this one. It seems that another shocker is taking the same position as the guy who makes $3.5 mill and managed to win 20 games with 10 newcomers.
              Rafferty won't go league because of his size and the style game he plays, but in college ranks where his opponents also aren't going to the league, he is incredibly talented. He's been doing what he did to the Shox to every team he's played against this year.

• I agree the game plan was solid. That said I would have liked to have see both bigs give Rafferty one nice hard foul each.
            I also don’t like it when our 7’ big fella cups his mouth after he fouls. It’s weak body language.
            Good game though. Shocks were the better team.

Comment

• Originally posted by top20shock View Post
              I agree the game plan was solid. That said I would have liked to have see both bigs give Rafferty one nice hard foul each.
              I also don’t like it when our 7’ big fella cups his mouth after he fouls. It’s weak body language.
              Good game though. Shocks were the better team.
              Apparently Raferty was hit and aggravated his labrum but persevered
              "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
              ---------------------------------------
              Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
              "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
              "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

You are entitled to your opinion and you are entitled to be wrong. Raferty ain't sht. He is not one of the best college basketball players in the country. He doesn't have any of the skills of Daum. Daum may play in the NBA. Raferty better be working on his master degree.
                you seem to be perpetually stuck in eighth grade. get your **** together.

Comment

• Originally posted by im4wsu View Post

Apparently Raferty was hit and aggravated his labrum but persevered
                  “Apparently”

Comment

• Originally posted by another shocker View Post

you seem to be perpetually stuck in eighth grade. get your **** together.
                    Is that the best you can do ? Try and have a good day.

Comment

• Aargh
                      Aargh commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Compared to the one you're having, the bar would be set incredibly low.

You've said your piece multiple times in this thread and nobody agrees with you. But go ahead. Post your thoughts for a third, fourth, or fifth time. Maybe you're the one who's right and the world is wrong.

In fact, do you have a newsletter we could all subscribe to?
                    The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

• I think many on this board understand what I am saying about this issue. I try not to get personal. Perhaps you can do the same. Have a nice day.

Comment

• Dan
                        Dan commented
                        Editing a comment
                        When you say stuff like “Rafferty ain’t sh*t”, it just makes you sound foolish. Maybe his game is unorthodox and he isn’t an NBA athlete, but the dude is effective, which makes him a good player for his team. Clearly he was the guy we had to gameplan around. I agree that it’s frustrating to watch a 260 pound man get backed down by a gangly muppet, but that’s what happened, so you gotta give some props to the guy. He probably will get a masters and will dominate YMCAs for years to come.

• I understand your statement Dan. I might have been a little hard on Raferty because I grow tired of hearing he is one the best players in college. HE IS NOT. He is good for the system he plays in. And I agree its extremely frustrating watching him back down 260 pound 7ft centers for the shockers. That should not happen. Anybody that thinks that its ok for that to happen doesn't understand how big men are suppose to dominate the paint. A 6 ft 8 210 pound soaking wet center is not suppose to do that.

Lastly this is a message board. We're not all suppose to agree. And I certainly do not have a problem with people not agreeing with me. If everybody was agreeing then that would mean no one is thinking. Go shocks.

Comment

Working...
                      X