Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great man. RIP.

Comment

Sorry to learn of this. What a great ambassador for Wichita St. he was. :(
      FINAL FOURS:
      1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
      1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
      Number of Times Ranked: 157
      Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
      Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
      Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
      #3 - Dec. 2017
      #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
      #2 ~ March 2014
      Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Sad time all around. Terrible time for his family and loved ones; 70 isn’t really that old anymore. Sort of came out of nowhere for the general public.

Most visionary WSU pres in my lifetime, and it’s not close. Majority have been placeholders who treated it like a neat little part time, temporary gig to close out their careers immediately before retirement. Not to say they were terrible people, just that they did NOTHING to further the school. I went to WSU during the Beggs tenure. Nice guy by all accounts. Now quick, without using google or a crutch to help you, tell me the biggest thing that happened during the Beggs tenure? Set your timer for 10 minutes and... if you say “well, I suppose his AD hired Marshall” as your final and lone answer then you’re not alone.

Unknown waters for WSU because it feels like the KBOR accidentally goofed by allowing us to have such a go-getter, non-s***-taker, and non-traditional academic in charge in the first place at little ol’ know-your-place WSU. Couple that with the reverse hard-on most academics (and also therefore possible replacements) have for the sort of stuff Bardo advocated for, and we could end up with a momentum-killing nincompoop at the helm that goes all frozen Luke Skywalker on our alma mater. The slow death of schools like SIU is the model for these folks, and it is a real concern in the current environment that we don’t hire in that mold.

Somewhat inappropriate rant over.
        Last edited by SHOCKvalue; March 12, 2019, 07:52 PM.

Comment

• Rocky Mountain Shock
          Rocky Mountain Shock commented
          Editing a comment
          Well said

• WSUwatcher
          WSUwatcher commented
          Editing a comment
          I think you meant "frozen Han Solo," but well said anyway, SV. Bardo was indeed cut from a different cloth, a much stronger yet still very fine material -- heavyweight silk rather than polyester knit, maybe -- and he will be missed.

RIP, Pres.

This guy had it. Let's hope we continue with his vision and fire with the next president.
        Deuces Valley.
        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

When Dr Bardo was hired a good friend of mine said his brorher was a professor at the university Dr Bardo was leaving. His brother told him “Dr Bardo will drag WSU into the 21st century whether it wants to go or not”. Mission started, now need people with vision to finish. Thank you Dr Bardo for making my University greater than I dreamed it could be.

Comment

A true visionary that will be sorely missed.
            Go Shocks!

Comment

The Innovation Campus did a lot for the city, not just the university. The Innovation Campus is breathing life into a part of the community that was bordering on blight. All the new construction and the renewed vitality along 21st to the east is having a huge impact on that part of town.

The campus looks better than it has as long as I've been around the campus.
              The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
              We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerDropOut View Post
                A true visionary that will be sorely missed.
                Apparently so. WSU was lucky to have him...he obviously cared a lot about Wichita and WSU.
                Last edited by N Crestway; March 13, 2019, 03:05 AM.

Comment

He did a great job! A great loss to the Shocker Nation!
                  I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

Very nice article in today's Wichita Eagle on Dr. Bardo and his accomplishments at Wichita State.

https://www.kansas.com/news/local/ne...227455574.html
                    Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 13, 2019, 09:56 AM.

Comment

Updated...

Dr. Bardo, you were the epitome of a Shocker.

What a fitting quote...

"He concluded his testimony in the same way he ended many speeches.

“If you follow athletics, you will know that our mascot is unique — it is a Wheatshocker. This mascot reflects the institutional history where many students worked in the wheat fields that used to surround the university. That is how they paid for their education. Well, madam chairman, we have never forgotten our roots of serving the hard-working people of our region and state. And, as we like to say in our part of the world: It is a Great Day to be a Shocker!”"

March 12, 2019 -- John Bardo was the transformational 13th president of Wichita State University. He challenged faculty, staff, students and alumni to: “Envision being part of a university where innovation, creativity, entrepreneurship and technology are making the future.”
                      "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

The rare visionary who also was an implementer to see things through. RIP and sincere thank you, Dr. Bardo.

Comment

Also a package of stories here: https://www.wichita.edu/johnbardo

Timeline piece is especially amazing.
                          “The rebellion on the populist right against the results of the 2020 election was partly a cynical, knowing effort by political operators and their hype men in the media to steal an election or at least get rich trying. But it was also the tragic consequence of the informational malnourishment so badly afflicting the nation. ... Americans gorge themselves daily on empty informational calories, indulging their sugar fixes of self-affirming half-truths and even outright lies.'

― Chris Stirewalt

Comment

Originally posted by Wuzee View Post
                          Also a package of stories here: https://www.wichita.edu/johnbardo

Timeline piece is especially amazing.
                          "“These are schools that are either like us now or like we want to be,” he told The Wichita Eagle in 2017. “This conference is saying we want to be on the map as a player. This is not, ‘Oh gosh, can we drive a bus over here?' It’s, ‘We want to be a player. We want to get to where people are afraid to play us.’”"

I love this quote

Comment

The party's over folks. Someone like The Bardo comes around once every hundred years.

I post the following video not in humor but in utter sadness.

T

...:cool:

Comment

Working...
                            X