Bilas thinks the Valley is a 3 bid league this year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
    Not a single person has posted that Odum isn't a solid player. Heck he's a really good player. I'd love to have him on our team.

Now, without cheating, name off just one other player for ISUb that is going to be nearly as good as Odum. DON'T CHEAT. Name one. Lathan was good last year. Gone. Maybe you were able to rattle of Richard? Maybe not. Most can't. Lathan is gone. Carter is gone. Kelly is gone. Three of their top 5 scorers? Gone.

Now perform this same exercise for Creighton and WSU. I can immediately name three very good players for Creighton and can name three for WSU that I believe are going to be as good in their respective positions as Odum is going to be in his this year.

And IMHO, therein lies ISUb's problem. Unless they have recruited well or their players have kicked it into high gear this year and/or their coaches have become creative.

I am more than willing to admit I could be completely wrong come end of the season, but at least I can rationalize why ISUb is not going to be as good as Creighton and WSU. I believe if you think a single guy can carry the entire team without any strong support (although I admit Richards will be good his senior year), you are being as one dimensional as ISUb's offense last year. Just my opinion.
    Wow, I have to backpedal some!! I just realized that Lathan did NOT lose a year when he transfered, so he's back! That DOES change things up! They only lose two of their top 5 scorers and Lathan is still in the mix which has a substantial impact.

Hmm. I guess ISUb is a lock for 3rd.
    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Sorry to burst your bubble, Kung, but Lathan is a senior this year.

Comment

Oops. I guess you burst your bubble a moment before I did!

Comment

I'm not sold on ISU blue either.
          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
            Lathan was good last year. Gone. Maybe you were able to rattle of Richard? Maybe not. Most can't. Lathan is gone. Carter is gone. Kelly is gone. Three of their top 5 scorers? Gone.
            Lathan is not gone. He will be a senior this year. Carl Richard, Myles Walker and Jordan Printy (who lead the MVC in 3-point shooting %) are also 3 solid seniors.

RJ Mahurin should be much improved as a sophomore.

A pretty good core there. The questions for Indiana State is do they have the size and depth to hang with WSU and CU and, at this point, the depth of both WSU and CU is somewhat unproven at the D-1 level.

Comment

Mahurin and McWhorter (sp?) both are nice players, imho. My personal take on the Trees is they just don't have difference makers, outside of Odum who's a really good player that makes everyone better but isn't going to score 20 points a game (like Doug for instance). They have really nice pieces, but they lack size and difference makers to excel over an 18 game schedule or beyond the Valley. There are only 2 teams built for that possibility this season in the MVC.

Comment

Indiana State?

LOLS.
                Deuces Valley.
                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                  Indiana State?

LOLS.
                  I have no idea how good ISUb will be this year. However, to dismiss them as a non-factor would be a mistake IMHO. If one from the outside just looks at what we lost as to what they lost, they'd say we might be in trouble. Take a gander at our stats last year and what our seniors provided, then look at ISUb. We lost our top scorer, top 3 RPG, and 4 of our top 6 FG%. We lost 39% of our scoring and 46% of our rebounding. ISUb lost only 26% of their scoring and only 16% of their rebounding. They return their top 3 scorers, of their 9 main players the top 7 in FG%, 5 of the top 6 in 3pt%, and 5 of their top 6 in assists. If any of their lower bench or new players helps out to make an impact, ISUb could improve this year.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
                    I have no idea how good ISUb will be this year. However, to dismiss them as a non-factor would be a mistake IMHO. If one from the outside just looks at what we lost as to what they lost, they'd say we might be in trouble. Take a gander at our stats last year and what our seniors provided, then look at ISUb. We lost our top scorer, top 3 RPG, and 4 of our top 6 FG%. We lost 39% of our scoring and 46% of our rebounding. ISUb lost only 26% of their scoring and only 16% of their rebounding. They return their top 3 scorers, of their 9 main players the top 7 in FG%, 5 of the top 6 in 3pt%, and 5 of their top 6 in assists. If any of their lower bench or new players helps out to make an impact, ISUb could improve this year.
                    +1 Top shelf post ShockTalk

Comment

Working...
                    X