Future?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by asiseeit View Post
    1. RS MU and keep the other three centers - they are not the problem. we just can't get them the ball.
    2. Keep DD and ES
    3. that's five keepers plus TA
    4. help at PG is on the way - guys I believe who can run the offense and see the court
    5. Would be nice to find a grad transfer that can shoot the three
    6. We will be fine next season and I refuse to throw in the towel this season
    TOTALLY this!!! Listen, I know this season is rough, but for crying out loud, IT HAPPENS!!!As my mom used to say, you don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.....keep grinding here...

Comment

Better league. Facing better athletes day in an day out instead of 1 out of 4-5 games like in the Valley. This group seems well short on the fundamentals of basketball. Tough to teach that at this stage. Yell all you want about youth but the only time we win/compete are when the 2 seniors are on.

Comment

Before last nights game things were looking up. I am not going to throw my chips in the 'they all suck' pot.

Inexperience and all, we just have to take our medicine this year. I dont think that making judgements and deciding freshman should stay or go is wise. At least give them 2 years.

We still had multiple oportunities to actually win last night as shotty as we played, so.... I dont think there is a magic bullet to fix all our ills. We have, what 2 new coaches, all the new guys and one of the toughest schedules in the nation....

Some guys will leave, Im sure. 2 PGs and Gordon, who seems legit coming in and someone else Im sure.

I still think we are in a good conference that kids want to play in. We will recruit guys who can play. I think we have some guys that can play. Sometimes it just needs to click and then they get it.

This year just sucks because GM has set the bar really, really high. I don't think he likes losing either, and he's not a loser! So I fall back on that. He is going to win. But it may take having to go through some frustration to get back.
        "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

Many are underestimating the difficulty of the schedule to start conference play. Shox have looked ugly, but that happens when you no longer have an elite team like they have the past 7-8 years and are playing decent competition every night.

If you wanted this team to be NCAA caliber again this year, go ahead and be disappointed. I'm just going to remember that I was complaining I never got to watch competitive basketball, back when the Shox won 4 out of 5 games by 20+ points, and I'm going to try and enjoy the year for what it is.

When the schedule lightens up, I think the wins will come.

Comment

• Aargh
            Aargh commented
            Editing a comment
            I was expecting we'd finish around where the league coaches predicted (8th). that was an unusually low expectation coming into the year compared to the rest of what SN was thinking.

It's starting to look like 11th might be more accurate unless a few more players learn how to shoot the ball.

When SHJ jacking 3's is the second best option on the offensive end, that's a problem.

• Jamar Howard 4 President
            Jamar Howard 4 President commented
            Editing a comment
            @Aargh... WSU has played #s 1-5, & 7 in the 6 conference games so far. Those teams are a combined 25-9 in conference play.

WSU will finish much better than 11th.

• Dan
            Dan commented
            Editing a comment
            woohoo!

Well in KenPom news

Wichita State ranks before games on Jan. 22

Off: 143
          Def: 117

After games

Off: 186
          Def: 98

At least we are Top 100 in something.

Comment

I think we need to all sit down and take a deep breath before overreacting to the USF game.

USF sits about where we are in KenPom. They are much much better than last season.

We are capable of beating teams that are around the 25-30 range in KenPom. We are also capable of losing to a sub-200 KenPom team.

As Markis and Samajae go, so goes this team.

It's not an overreaction to say that there are a decent amount of underclassmen on this squad that are not capable of playing high-level D1 ball and never will be.
            "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

I think this year's problems started when we recruited Darral and Daishon and ended up with a seven member junior class. Nothing against Darral and Daishon. With Daishon's departure we still ended up with a 6 man senior class. Seems like a gamble towards big rewards last year and the year before. That was a decision that would have included Marshall, Heier, Brown, Linstead and Jans. Our reward was a MVC co-championship, AAC second place and one NCAA victory. This year we're paying for that gamble. We can throw in all the variables of transfers, NBA and lost recruits but isn't part of running a program having contingencies for such occurances? Balanced classes being the most obvious?
              Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

The problem with not overreacting to a loss at USF is that they're in a bigger rebuild than we are and they are doing it with a first-year coach who had an absolutely bare cupboard to work with.

USF returned 1 guy from a very bad team and they are 3-4 in the league. That makes it pretty obvious that a complete rebuild AND a mid-pack finish is possible in this league.

We got out-recruited by a first-year coach who took over an incredibly bad program. If we didn't get out-recruited, then a no-name coach just clowned our NCOY.

I think I have a right to complain. Marshall's salary priced me out of season tickets. This is now the second year where he has not delivered on that salary. He earned it when he got the bumps. Hasn't earned it since.
                The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Rocky Mountain Shock
                  Rocky Mountain Shock commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Sigh. Brian Gregory is not a first year coach.

• Aargh
                  Aargh commented
                  Editing a comment
                  My bad - I should have said second year coach.

Hey Shoxlax, I’m the “numbnutz” that thinks we need to turn over 5 or 6 guys. What’s your plan? Keep em all? I’m sure all these 15% three point shooting guards are going to grow a couple of inches and be shooting 35% next year. I’m sure our PF who has been in the program 2 years will grow two inches and develop an amazing outside shot over the summer. And 4 centers is a great plan. Come on man! We have a bunch of MVC level players on the team now. These guys have about a 6th place AAC ceiling. They don’t have the physical size and athleticism for this league. We had some successful players that were undersized but they had some amazing quality such as Frankamp’s shooting ability or Cotton’s athletic ability. Very few of current guys demonstrate an amazing “got to have” quality.

Im not advocating getting rid of people for the sake of getting rid of people, but if we have the opportunity to upgrade a position over the spring we have to do it. We are not going to get where we want to be by standing pat with this roster.

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                  The problem with not overreacting to a loss at USF is that they're in a bigger rebuild than we are and they are doing it with a first-year coach who had an absolutely bare cupboard to work with.

USF returned 1 guy from a very bad team and they are 3-4 in the league. That makes it pretty obvious that a complete rebuild AND a mid-pack finish is possible in this league.

We got out-recruited by a first-year coach who took over an incredibly bad program. If we didn't get out-recruited, then a no-name coach just clowned our NCOY.

I think I have a right to complain. Marshall's salary priced me out of season tickets. This is now the second year where he has not delivered on that salary. He earned it when he got the bumps. Hasn't earned it since.
                  Second year? Are you saying last year he didn't deliver? A consistent Top 25 team, as high #3, that was 1 shot away from an AAC championship in their first year in the conference and ended up with one of the highest seeds we've ever gotten? I'd take that every single year.

Comment

USF did not return 1 guy. They returned 5. Two of their noobs have D1 experience (Oklahoma State and LSU).

They have 8 new players, two with D1 experience that are both playing. We have 10 new players, 1 with D1 experience but is ineligible.

The rosters have all kinds of indications of being a poor comparison.
                    "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

• ShockerFever
                      ShockerFever commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Aargh just got owned there.

• Kung Wu
                      Kung Wu commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Actually they returned 6 players -- 4 of which had the highest number of minutes against us, but 5 of the returners played against us. Their stud (Rideau) did not get to play last year.

• Rocky Mountain Shock
                      Rocky Mountain Shock commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks for the correction Kung Wu!

Originally posted by MadDog View Post
                    Hey Shoxlax, I’m the “numbnutz” that thinks we need to turn over 5 or 6 guys. What’s your plan? Keep em all? I’m sure all these 15% three point shooting guards are going to grow a couple of inches and be shooting 35% next year. I’m sure our PF who has been in the program 2 years will grow two inches and develop an amazing outside shot over the summer. And 4 centers is a great plan. Come on man! We have a bunch of MVC level players on the team now. These guys have about a 6th place AAC ceiling. They don’t have the physical size and athleticism for this league. We had some successful players that were undersized but they had some amazing quality such as Frankamp’s shooting ability or Cotton’s athletic ability. Very few of current guys demonstrate an amazing “got to have” quality.

Im not advocating getting rid of people for the sake of getting rid of people, but if we have the opportunity to upgrade a position over the spring we have to do it. We are not going to get where we want to be by standing pat with this roster.
                    Step back for a minute. These guys AS FRESHMAN have played the top 4 teams in the conference in the last couple weeks. They beat 1, had one down 11 with 3 to go and took them to OT, and had the other two on the ropes until the last few minutes of the game. USF game was bad ... really bad ... no excuse, but lets not act like they are getting blown out by 30 points every game.

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

...Are you saying last year he didn't deliver? A consistent Top 25 team, as high #3, that was 1 shot away from an AAC championship in their first year in the conference and ended up with one of the highest seeds we've ever gotten? I'd take that every single year.
                      When there's such a gamble on one great year with the unbalanced classes and the need to rebuild in the next year, and a team with an NBA stud and 4 Sr's on the floor can't win a single game in the tourney. Yep, I'm saying that last year was an underachieving year. The top 25 all year was fool's gold because the team was not that good. They were incredibly better on paper than on the court, so they got a lot of publicity and a lot of great press.

Perhaps you should have visited the AAC message board, where Shocker fans were convinced that our second unit would walk away with the championship of the league.

Shocker fans have been critical of Jacobsen at UNI for having one great year with a senior-loaded team and then fading badly the next year.

When there's not an MVC-level PG on the team and next year our best hope is that a Fr PG runs the program, that's a huge problem.

The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                      We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

When there's such a gamble on one great year with the unbalanced classes and the need to rebuild in the next year, and a team with an NBA stud and 4 Sr's on the floor can't win a single game in the tourney. Yep, I'm saying that last year was an underachieving year. The top 25 all year was fool's gold because the team was not that good. They were incredibly better on paper than on the court, so they got a lot of publicity and a lot of great press.

Perhaps you should have visited the AAC message board, where Shocker fans were convinced that our second unit would walk away with the championship of the league.

Shocker fans have been critical of Jacobsen at UNI for having one great year with a senior-loaded team and then fading badly the next year.

When there's not an MVC-level PG on the team and next year our best hope is that a Fr PG runs the program, that's a huge problem.
                        THANK YOU!!! A voice of reason....

Comment

• shoxlax
                          shoxlax commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Not really.

Sounds like you have a problem with unrealistic expectations then. If being a shot away from an AAC championship and a 4 seed is underachieving ... then that's on you.

Crap happens in the tourney. UMBC beat Virigina. If you base your entire weight of the season on one game, you will likely be disappointed. You can call coach out for the unbalanced classes, absolutely, but to lump last year in as "underachieving" is wrong.

As far as UNI ... No people were critical of Jacobsen because he had a good team once every 4 years .. not every year. If it takes Marshall 4 years to get back to the postseason without miracle bounces in the AAC tourney, then I would agree with your comparison.

There are 353 teams in D1 basketball. You want to know how many have longer active NCAA streaks than us?
                        Kansas (29)
                        Duke (23)
                        Michigan State (21)
                        Gonzaga (20)
                        Cincinnati (8)
                        North Carolina (8)

That's it. So the other 346 teams in the country have had at least one down year like ours this year since we last had a bad enough year to miss the tourney. Let that sink in. Notice there is no Kentucky, Arizona, Wisconsin, Indiana, UCLA, Villanova etc on that list. They have all had a bad enough year to miss the tourney since the last time we did.
                        Last edited by Stickboy46; January 23, 2019, 12:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X