Wichita State vs Cincinnati Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

I'm not sure I believe that one. These refs were clowns but I'd find it hard to believe he got T'ed up just for that.
    ES probably deserved the T. The Cincy player that shoved him deserved one also. You break that up by grabbing your own man, not shoving the other team

Comment

• Dan
      Dan commented
      Editing a comment
      It’s like in football, the guy that reacts gets the penalty.

• I want Higgins back. That's how bad it's gotten

Comment

• For as bad as we played, they should have blown us out. The good thing is, we can improve a lot more than they can. I’m telling you, there is not a team in this conference that we won’t be able to beat come March.

Comment

• Originally posted by molly jabali View Post
        Frankly, if the Bearcats were OUR team, I'd love them...they are tenacious on
        defense...
        Well dear lord it is kinda easy to be hardcore on defense when you’re given a free hall pass by the refs.

Comment

• Well, at least one other person saw what I saw on replay. THEIR center shoved ES first. Technical should have
          been called right THEN on their center. ES backed up ! We should have shot free throws and gotten possession NOT them ! Ball game

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
            For as bad as we played, they should have blown us out. The good thing is, we can improve a lot more than they can. I’m telling you, there is not a team in this conference that we won’t be able to beat come March.
            And since we will be the potential "extra bid", maybe we will get the old Elgin treatment like back in the valley days. Would be nice to be on the other side of it for once

Comment

• Good News
              Good News commented
              Editing a comment
              Couldn’t agree more. In fact, I’ve got a nice crisp twenty dollar bill for anybody that wants to wear a t-shirt that says “1.9” on it and gives the refs in Memphis a 5 dollar handshake and the old Al Czervik “keep it fair, keep it fair” line.

• Originally posted by 1989 View Post
            I still think you don’t run your mouth in such a close game,but if what GM said is true then I soften my stance. According to coach, ES was given a T for telling the other player “I’m not afraid of you”. That is a soft ass T if true.
            That's what Stevenson told Marshall. I have an incredibly strong feeling that Stevenson left one word out of what he told Marshall. That word would have come between "not" and "afraid" and will get a quick T every single time.

The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
            We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post

That's what Stevenson told Marshall. I have an incredibly strong feeling that Stevenson left one word out of what he told Marshall. That word would have come between "not" and "afraid" and will get a quick T every single time.

Comment

• AndShock
                AndShock commented
                Editing a comment
                If Parson is willing to come to WSU's defense then you know it's true.

• SHOCKvalue
                SHOCKvalue commented
                Editing a comment
                Parson’s throwing support behind a WSU position? Is that a sign of the end times?

• Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post

Well dear lord it is kinda easy to be hardcore on defense when you’re given a free hall pass by the refs.
              i disagree...if they were allowed to push, then they took advantage...I've seen Cronin teams play enough to know they begin with a strong defensive focus. Had it been called tighter on them, they still would have stuck to the effort...

Comment

• Agree about JE playing smarter, the stupid fouls early in games isn’t helping and fouling when your tiered. Just raise your arm and get out of the game. Teams are beating us at the line (which you can’t defend) and by turning us over, some turnovers are real head scratching high school stuff. Not going to win at this level doing those type of things. Coach is frustrated and so are we as fans. I just feel these are fixable things that we will fix.

Comment

• I still believe that all these punks better get their shots in quick.

There will be a reckoning soon.
                  "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• WstateU
                    WstateU commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yep, Independence Day is coming!

• Originally posted by molly jabali View Post

i disagree...if they were allowed to push, then they took advantage...I've seen Cronin teams play enough to know they begin with a strong defensive focus. Had it been called tighter on them, they still would have stuck to the effort...
                  But they wouldn't have been playing. Because they would have fouled out. I didn't see any effort issue on our end. Just some dumb play and getting punished for too much effort at times

Comment

• Several comments and thoughts on the game, but the biggest are all related:

1. I welcome correction or modification from someone at the game, particularly sitting on that baseline because the TV coverage was pretty poor on the ES technical. They were cutting away to other highlights or switched cameras right at the moment that would have explained the tech. However, later in the game they did show a wide angle replay where ES gave a nice solid foul on the player and then took two steps directly toward him to chest up and get in the face of a player that appeared to be minding his own business. That to me was what earned the tech, because it was a move that you can’t allow players to do and still control the game as a ref. It appeared that he wasn’t T’d until a few seconds after that, but that’s what I thought earned it. Some people are saying things about a push, words, etc. that I couldn’t see and may change it. But the foul and immediate move to face up looked like a red flag to me.

2. I could make a case either way with both pros and cons as to why Gregg should have kept himself in check or stuck up for his player and gone after the ref. I would probably lean toward get your money’s worth but don’t give up another 2 points in a close game down the stretch. But what I will say is that he was up the crew’s ass from the beginning (legitimately in the case of the no call on JE and then immediate bad call on JE that I think worked to get one or two more borderline calls in our favor). In the first two minutes of a game where you’re yelling in the refs ear very clearly about how a call was “b***s***”, you probably have to assume that you’re going to fatigue the crew (along with other complaining) and eventually put yourself in a position where they ring you up or screw you more. I wouldn’t mind ShockRef opinion here. I love Marshall’s passion and whatever he wants to do is fine with me, but I can’t say I was suprised when he got T’d. I was however, pleasantly surprised that he didn’t get the second one (I was in Montreal and his reaction looked similar).

3. Another one I would like a referee’s opinion on is how crews tend to react when they’re getting it from all sides. I understand that there is a legitimate dynamic where a coach needs to agitate for makeup calls. I also understand there is a legitimate dynamic where players are fighting to stay on the floor - especially when playing for a coach that subs for anyone that makes a mistake. However... when you’ve got a bunch of guys in their first season of D1 ball walking around with an air of incredulity and their arms outstretched in the “worst call of all time” pose... at some point you’re not doing yourself any favors. I don’t remember Fred and Ron demonstrating to anywhere near that degree, and I’m pretty sure they were a little better at guarding without fouling. And a guy named Tim Duncan had to listen to feedback in mid-career about how his wide-eyed complaining and incredulity about his fouls was damaging his legacy and making him more of a target for refs. He listened.

4. The free throw differential was pretty striking, but are we honestly expecting a 50/50 split with the number of possessions that end with a missed contested 3 or a MM fallaway? You have to play the hand you’re dealt, and unfortunately we don’t have a slasher like Landry or Fred and meal ticket big men like Carl/Shaq/etc to feed inside (yet). Go to the rim, go to the line. I think we were probably at a minus 2 or 3 on the blown calls today on a net basis, which is enough to decide a game, but not enough to make me think the fix was in or that the reffing had more to do with the L than the questionable shot selection on 10-15 possessions.

5. I still see a lot to be positive about. If you would have told me that we could turn the ball over 5 possessions in a row, have the other assorted turnovers we did, and revert to multiple bad shots early in the clock (which mostly disappeared against UCF) and we’d battle back and forth the entire game with a chance to win down the stretch I’d take it in a second. Everybody is learning out there at the same time, with no real anchor. There’s a lot to be optimistic about, even for the rest of this season. I just wish they could break down the film, show the 10-15 possessions that ended with poor shot selection too early in the clock, and do whatever it took to eliminate that decision making. At 1 point whatever points per possession, that could turn a few Ls into Ws.

GO SHOCKS!

Comment

• WuDrWu
                      WuDrWu commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Bigly spot on. Especially #1.

• Comment

• Good News
                      Good News commented
                      Editing a comment
                      That was definitely one of the blatant blown calls. Burton was the other - and it looked like a goaltend too.

• Dan
                      Dan commented
                      Editing a comment
                      He hit Erik’s hand and then slid down to his elbow before Erik released the ball. That was one of many non calls against Cincy.

• Man, is there a lot to say about this game.....I want to address the Stevenson T first.

Cumberland was in fact fouled going baseline by JB. Erik was looking to help and aggressively took a swipe at Cumberland after the foul call. Mistake 1. Erik then somewhat got in Cumberland's face. Mistake 2. At this point I was glued in to the action but bodies came together and I couldn't really tell what happened. And I couldn't hear what was said from across the court. I think Erik deserved the T. He was in the wrong twice and clearly was frustrated about being beat on a play just a bit earlier.

He acted like a freshman and got T'd up. That being said, Gregg's T was hugely wrong. He was lucky he didn't get tossed, he should have been. And it ended the game. We have to be better than that.

Comment

• Good News
                      Good News commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Not sure exactly what you were watching at the time, but it was fertile ground for watching the assistant reactions. Any comments or insight? The TV coverage jumped around so much that my only takeaways were (1) whether it’s tenure or credibility or both, Devon played a primary restraining role, (2) Waterman got involved when he needed to, and (3) Kellen was comfortable offering a strong opinion.
                  Working...
                  X