Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
    One more thing and I will shut up for awhile:

Dont put jacksheet into what a player shot in HS or Juco from the three.

Arena backgrounds are different but but most importantly playing defense and actually running set plays like 3G demands completely takes your legs away if you are not used to it. This is a conditioning issue and and an experience issue. Taking plays off in Juco and HS are not uncommon—here you end up on the bench.

Theres a reason SIU couldn’t shoot during their heyday and a reason Creighton could—one played defense and the other didn’t.

That level of conditioning is unfathomable of until you have to experience it. That’s why FVV spend the off season running stadium steps at 6 in the morning with a weighted vest.
    OMFGCONDITIONINGISSUES!!!!!!!!!!111111111111111111 11111111111111111111111

So yeah, when I was 18, I could sit on the couch playing Nintendo all summer long and be running marathons 2-3 weeks into the Fall. If I hear one more ****ing thing about how our players lack condition half-way through the ******* season, I'm going to lose my ****. We have a drill sergeant for a coach, he's practically Bobby Knight reincarnated. His most redeeming quality is his willingness to inflict the maximum pain possible on a boy until he turns into a man then sleep like a baby. Could someone please tell the Cardivascular Sympathizers to drop the bit, once and for all?

There are two things happening here: 1) Most of our players have asthma or congenital heart conditions; or 2) Marshall isn't getting the kind of effort (and focus) he used to get out of his players for God knows why...

Just stop it please. I'm trying to maintain a normal eating schedule.

T

...:cool:
    Last edited by C0|dB|00ded; January 4, 2019, 02:55 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by newshock1234 View Post
      If SHJ didnt play another minute then I would be fine by that.
      SHJ had a very bad game last night but his stats weren't that much worse than McDuffie's. Who is telling MM and SHJ that's it's okay to run around with the ball jacking it up with impunity instead of simply passing the ball around a while to keep the defense's effort honest? I mean if they are really that ****ing stupid, why can't you just tell the entire team that until I say otherwise, I want to see that ******* ball touch 5 different sets of hands before a shot is made. Anybody that shoots on #4 or less goes to the bench for 5 minutes. You do it again it's 10. You do it again and your benched for the entire next game and I'm going to run you the next practice until you are begging for me to end your life.

God I would love to play defense against the Shockers. Retards.

)

T

Comment

• C0|dB|00ded
        C0|dB|00ded commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm eternally grateful for the guy that recorded that half-time speech.

T

• TheShocktocles
        TheShocktocles commented
        Editing a comment
        I will tell you what is bullsht. Shockers getting out rebounded by Menphis and ALO leading all players with 8 rebounds for Menphis. WTF was that.

• Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post

OMFGCONDITIONINGISSUES!!!!!!!!!!111111111111111111 11111111111111111111111

So yeah, when I was 18, I could sit on the coach playing Nintendo all summer long and be running marathons 2-3 weeks into the Fall. If I hear one more ****ing thing about how our players lack condition half-way through the ******* season, I'm going to lose my ****. We have a drill sergeant for a coach, he's practically Bobby Knight reincarnated. His most redeeming quality is his willingness to inflict the maximum pain possible on a boy until he turns into a man then sleep like a baby. Could someone please tell the Cardivascular Sympathizers to drop the bit, once and for all?

There are two things happening here: 1) Most of our players have asthma or congenital heart conditions; or 2) Marshall isn't getting the kind of effort (and focus) he used to get out of his players for God knows why...

Just stop it please. I'm trying to maintain a normal eating schedule.

T

So is what you are saying is that Marshall has lowered his standards? Not a pot stirring question...just unsure of your main point.

Comment

• So yeah, my sushi high from last night wore off... anybody wanna go a few rounds?

T

Comment

• Originally posted by blackandgold View Post
        Maybe we should go back to recruiting "MVC level" players.
        "MVC level" players wound up to the appropriate RPM nearly gave us a national championship. We've got plenty of solid players to build a core around; and while having 9 brand new ones in the same year is a monumental ****-up, there's no reason why they shouldn't be putting forth a much better effort.

I would say our offense is about right in line with what you would expect from a bunch of newcomers but our defense is Creightonesque. We shouldn't have lost to Dirty Penny last night. We got substantial performances from our two biggest men and asshole bleeding performances from our seniors. Why didn't they just facilitate for the big men and give 'em both 20 pt. games? Drive and dish, drive and dish, drive and ****ing DISH!!!! Just feed the **** out of anybody that can get within 6 feet of the rim! Run a whole bunch of back doors and slip screens and hammer that bucket. Then, and ONLY THEN, when you are as open as McDuffie was on that one play where he stole the ball on the inbounds do you let one fly.

T

Comment

• Let's just face facts, we suck. But I have an idea we can all get behind that will make this season worth watching. Let's cheer for 10 more victories and see if HCGM can get his 300th Shocker win this year. That will be our Super Bowl.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
            RH: Turnovers Doom Shockers in Loss at Memphis

https://goshockers.com/news/2019/1/3...t-memphis.aspx

“That’s a different Memphis than what they’re used to seeing,” Memphis coach Penny Hardaway said. “Last year they had their way with the team physically. A lot of teams feel like they could come and beat us up. To be able to take that physicality and put it back on them and play just as physical as them, I’m definitely proud of that.”
            Penny thinks it was an accomplishment "beating up" the mighty Shockers... LoL!

T

Comment

• C0|dB|00ded
              C0|dB|00ded commented
              Editing a comment
              “We went small because we had to speed them up,” Hardaway said. “There was no way we could let them walk the ball down the court, get it to their bigs and then dump it inside. It was to our advantage to speed them up and it worked out in our favor.”

In the final nine minutes of the first half, Memphis scored 33 points in 18 possessions as WSU registered exactly two defensive stops in that time span. The Tigers took a 44-32 lead into halftime.
              LOL!

T

• C0|dB|00ded
              C0|dB|00ded commented
              Editing a comment
              “We need to play with that urgency, that Play Angry,” Echenique said. “We have to remember what we’re fighting for. We’re fighting for everybody on this team, for ourselves, fighting for our school. We have to keep that in our minds.”
              I'm gonna adopt this boy.

His comments are telling though. Marshall's players of the past never talked about how they "should have played harder". They just did it. They never brought it up because they always had their lunch pails in hand. It wouldn't come up until a reporter would ask, "How/why do you guys play so hard?". The response was always, "Heck, games are easy compared to practice." .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .......................dotdotdotdot

T

• Topshock
              Topshock commented
              Editing a comment
              “That’s a different Memphis than what they’re used to seeing,” Memphis coach Penny Hardaway said. “Last year they had their way with the team physically. A lot of teams feel like they could come and beat us up. To be able to take that physicality and put it back on them and play just as physical as them, I’m definitely proud of that.”

Really Penny. Comparing playing this WSU team to last years like they are about the same team. Wow.

• I thought Stevenson's reduced minutes last night were justified.

There was one time I saw a guy uncontested from 10' out to the rim - obviously not a Shocker. I backed up to see how anybody could get tht open. Stevenson got beat on a first step and was trailing the play instead of fronting it. The same thing happened again - and again it was Stevenson who got beat. Then I started just watching Stevenson. It was reasonable to assume that the scouting reports out of Memphis and Wichita indicated that Memphis would (successfully) drive on Stevenson.

McDuffie is getting a lot of his stats and upping his percentages quite a bit at times when the game isn't really on the line. There are guys who put the team on their shoulder, refuse to lose, and pad stats by taking over games. Then there are guys who put up decent stats.

The most obvious personnel move was letting Chandler get his 3rd foul in the first half rather than putting Midtgaard in. Pulling guys with 2 fouls in the first half has seemed to be one of Marshall's highest priorities. I don't think he's in anything resembling a doghouse. That just leaves one possibility, which is his readiness or ability to play D1 ball at this level.

SHJ is being asked to do something he's incapable of doing - play D1 basketball.

With all the new players it would seem that just the law of averages would give us a couple of makers. Maybe we have them but they're afraid to shoot because the Senior leadership on the team might not want to lose a shooting opportunity.

I'm starting to learn to recognize things in offensive sets. One thing I learned last night after seeing it repeatedly is this: When two guys without the ball both run to the same spot, it's time to run to the other end of the court at full speed, because that other team on the court is about to play some transition basketball. Either players don't know the plays, or there's not good communication about what's being run.
            The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
            We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• shoxlax
              shoxlax commented
              Editing a comment
              To say he is incapable of playing Div 1 basketball is ridiculous. Should he be starting for a team in the AAC? No, but there are 350 some NCAA D1 teams out there and he would start for at least 100 of them and be a contributor off the bench for another 100 or so.
              So let’s say SHJ is what he is-a 4-5th option off the bench for us in most any other year but someone who can play D-1 basketball.

• Originally posted by molly jabali View Post

So is what you are saying is that Marshall has lowered his standards? Not a pot stirring question...just unsure of your main point.
            Not to steal Cold’s thunder but Marshall himself has said we need to get into better condition and pretty sure he is referring to two things 1) Big guys needing to sub out too soon and 2)Shot makers in the first half becoming heavy legged in the second.

#1 will always be an issue with his expectations but #2 needs to improve. Experience will cure the mental fatigue but the physical fatigue is real—go back and watch our second halves and the ugly shots we jack up.

This isn’t about our strength training. We have one of the best around. This is about guys spending a couple hours in the gym after practice, after weights regularly without tweeting about it and taking a selfie.
            Last edited by shoxlax; January 4, 2019, 04:07 PM.

Comment

• “We wait until we’re down to play hard,” McDuffie said. “We’ve got to put it all together and come out strong. We just have to start winning games. We’ve got to show our promise, that we can handle big teams. It starts right now. I know we have a lot of young guys, but it’s conference season. These guys should know what we’re doing by now. It’s time for us to get going, come together and grow up.”
              No **** bro! Now why don't you start acting like a senior, like FVV or Ron Baker and sacrifice your body to set up the "young guys" so they can get some easy baskets and build confidence? Stop running around the paint like a newborn baby giraffe (I owe somebody for that excellent descriptor) throwing up prayers and getting blocked like you're 6 foot 3. Draw the defender and pass, draw the defender and dish, draw the defender and pass, draw the defender and dish.

It makes sense that McDuffie would call out his younger teammates. His entire career has been playing with more seasoned leaders. He's looking to cast blame. If HE was the team leader he would take it upon himself. He would MAKE his teammates better just how Fred would. But he's not a leader.

I'm telling you this right now... if Fred was having problems with a player in practice, he would square right off with him and threaten to knock his block off. I don't care how big the dude, Fred accepted no excuses or you were going to suffer his wrath.

T

Comment

• WstateU
                WstateU commented
                Editing a comment
                https://cdn.images.express.co.uk/img...es-1328162.jpg

• AndShock
                AndShock commented
                Editing a comment
                McDuffie blaming the young guys is rich and probably a sizeable portion of our problems.

• Chickenhawk hunter
                Chickenhawk hunter commented
                Editing a comment
                I totally agree. MM and SHJ are selfish and only want to score. It is so obvious and it's disgusting. They are not leaders they are not team players they are glory seekers and I would bring them off the bench until they figure out that this is a team sport.

• Menphis scored on 16 layups and free throws . Some of those layups were what coach call atomic bomb turnovers. But a great many were shocker players unable to stop penetration by other team guards. E'S was terrible but so was a number of his teammates. Hope we play better Sunday.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
                We are what we are this year. Look for improvement on an individual level, and view the big picture as a developmental season. The future remains bright, even if it feels like the light was turned off for this year.

The seniors are “what you see is what you get” at this point in the game. Not going to re-train an old dog, no matter the quote quips they throw out to local media that sound otherwise.

It does suck that this is happening in the first place, but it’s not something any of us can control. Another argument for another day would be why a program we thought was at X level is going through this at all. Can’t stay a T25 team every single year unless you have on jerseys from about 10 different schools, but we’re not even T100 right now, and that is sorta shocking.
                Why are we going through this at all? The answer is pretty obvious to me. Shamet left early, Reaves transferred, Lomax asked out of his commitment as result of an unlikely confluence of events, and Teddy Allen wasn’t granted a waiver. Any two of those things go the other way and I think we’re looking at a significantly different season to this point.

What’s bothers me is that some portion of the fan base has become so entitled or whatever that they just take the success of the program for granted. We finished second in the AAC last year and got a 5 seed in the NCAA tourney and people point to that as some beginning to an end. Sure, we got upset in the first round but you know who else that’s happened to? Duke, KU, Virginia, Kentucky, UNC.

The idea that because we’ve been good for a long time that we’re somehow immune to a disappointing season is crazy to me. Very few teams are. Look no further than Kentucky. Missed then NCAA and lost in the first round of NIT at home against Robert Morris. It happens.

I know you weren’t really saying that in your post but that’s a vibe I get from a few posters on here and it bugs me.

Comment

• TheShocktocles
                  #377.2
                  TheShocktocles commented
                  25 minutes ago

I will tell you what is bullsht. Shockers getting out rebounded by Menphis and ALO leading all players with 8 rebounds for Menphis. WTF was that.
                  We're just young and poorly conditioned. Stop being so entitled. Marshall is allowed throwaway years.

T

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
                    Here’s another fun fact: Brewton, Davenport, Martin, Parks and Thornton were all holdovers from Tubby’s tenure. That’s a pretty solid group Penny was left with.
                    I sat behind some Memphis fans at the AAC Tourney. At the end they were all agreeing that Tubby had put some nice pieces together. The guy knew basketball.
                    Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

• I really don't think we are as bad as many think. The center position is deep and they have collectively
                      played well. MM is a good, not great, player at PF but needs to toughen up and play smarter. Small
                      forwards play hard and will get much better - probably need to play off their men another step and keep
                      them in front of them better. Fixable. I'm confident they will shoot it better as the season progresses.
                      What does need fixing is guard play on both ends. Too late to fix SHJ cause he isn't gonna change.
                      RT simply has not adjusted to D1 level athleticism/defense. Shooting well at the JC level isn't the same
                      as playing against good longer D1 guards. I am not sure that he will ever be able to make that adjustment.
                      That applies on defense, as well. I think he is just in over his head. Something has to change at the
                      guard positions or we won't improve. Regardless, I'll keep watching and hoping they make me eat crow.
                      One more thing. If GM wants the seniors to toughen up he has to be tougher on THEM and that means
                      more bench time for lazy sloppy selfish play.

Comment

Working...
                      X