Shox vs Memphis pregame thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AZ Shocker View Post
    87-52 bad guys sadly. Our guys just not enough scoring options and Memphis with the home crowd and new coach wants to show the league a beat down of a perennial Tourney and conference foe.
    Come on now. This is a truly absurd prediction. Memphis has beaten two teams by 20 or more. Those teams are KP 298 Tennessee St, who has one D1 win over the worst team in college basketball(Coppin State), and the other is KP 340 Florida A&M, also with only one D1 win over terrible Jacksonville. They have won by ten or fewer in home games against the truly daunting list of: Yale, Canisius, and UALR. If we lose by more than 20 to this Memphis team, it's time to shut down the program.

Comment

• WuDrWu
      WuDrWu commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you.

HEAD COACH GREGG MARSHALL ON...

....a rare,12-day break between games:
    "Well, it wasn't that long because they were home for four or five days for Christmas. We got done with VCU -- they departed. Many of them got home on the 23rd, then came back here on the 27th, but a lot of them had travel issues. That was a bad travel day. We really didn't get anything started until the 28th. (We practiced on the) 28th, 29th, 30th -- I gave them off the 31st-- (then we practiced again on the) first and second. We've had five practice days, counting today.
    A bit of an odd answer. Whether they are traveling, at home, practicing or just goofing off it is still 12 days. So the guys will have had 5 practices and I assume one walk-through tomorrow. They probably needed a break but hard to believe there won't be some rust. Combine that with Jaime maybe or maybe not playing but certainly not close to 100%, Dexter coming off a long layoff, and Morris with some kind of shoulder injury and it is very, very difficult to generate much optimism for the outcome of this game.

OTOH perhaps an opportunity for some guys to show they deserve more playing time.

Memphis did get back on the floor on Saturday for a warm up game against Florida A&M resulting in an easy 96-65 home win. Otherwise Memphis had the same amount of time as the Shocks between their previous game and the game with the Shocks. Whether that game against Florida A&M is as good as a practice would have been is debatable.

I think the key will be for all of our guys to stay within themselves and not try to do too much. Let the system work and play hard. Hopefully, Markis and Samajae will not feel like they have to carry the whole load with the Shocks injury problems because they don't generally play great when they are forcing he issue. OTOH, time for some of the newcomers to step it up.
    Last edited by 1972Shocker; January 2, 2019, 03:39 PM.

Comment

• C0|dB|00ded
      C0|dB|00ded commented
      Editing a comment
      Supposedly we were going to "get in shape" over the Christmas break. Guess we'll have to wait till March...

T

...:cool:

• IndianaShocker
      IndianaShocker commented
      Editing a comment
      4-5 days off for Christmas?? Sounds like coach was at his wits end and needed a break. I can't imagine anything more than 2-3 days.

Since I expect us to lose, I hope we sit JE & MU...

Let's play AM & IPBC enough to see if they can be pieces in the long term (IMO - all bigs look terrible when they fail to get extended playing time and know their leash is short. So I don't buy anybody's current evaluation on either guy). Furthermore, I don't want to see JE hobbled for the entire season (similar to Fred's senior year).

Comment

I wonder if Etch playin on it can injure it worse.

Comment

Line Movements for Shockers vs Tigers provided by VegasInsider.com, along with more ncaab information for your sports gaming and betting needs.

Memphis opened up as 4.5 point favorites, now at 6.5 points

Comment

This helps

Comment

The legend of Asbjorn Midtgaard begins tomorrow night

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock Reaper View Post
              http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-.../date/01-03-19

Memphis opened up as 4.5 point favorites, now at 6.5 points
              You mean the spread isn't Memphis -25? Crazy.
              Deuces Valley.
              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

I don't think we will win, but will not be surprised if we do.

Comment

• C0|dB|00ded
                  C0|dB|00ded commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'll have plenty of razor blades nearby and a toaster in the bathroom just in case...

T

...:cool:

"Memphis winless against Marshall" = 70

"Marshall undefeated against Memphis" = 75

Go Shockers!!!

:poster_shocks::poster_wsu:

Comment

If we try to play aau/juco ball with them we will get run out of the gym. They’re better at it than we are. They’ll take plenty of contested jumpers if you make things difficult for them. Sadly so will we.
                  Much like vcu I think we lose the game in a big run over a 4-6 minute stretch. 72-64 bad guys. This prediction would be very different if we didn’t lose our identity (inside out game through je) as soon as we really started to find it.

Comment

Well WSU has had plenty of time to prepare … this is the longest gap between games that I can remember.

Comment

Originally posted by Ixiah View Post
                      Well WSU has had plenty of time to prepare … this is the longest gap between games that I can remember.
                      If it was any longer, baseball would be starting.

Comment

gotta give memphis 10

Comment

Originally posted by ShockCrazy View Post

Come on now. <snip> They have won by ten or fewer in home games against the truly daunting list of: Yale, Canisius, and UALR. If we lose by more than 20 to this Memphis team, it's time to shut down the program.
                          I know it's sarcasm.....but maybe start with a not-so-drastic change.:poster_shocks:

Comment

Working...
                          X