• Breaking: marshall to UCLA. It’s a done deal

Comment

• shoxlax
      shoxlax commented
      Editing a comment
      I thought he was going to Wake Forest

• Originally posted by Dave Stalwart View Post
    Breaking: marshall to UCLA. It’s a done deal
    I am trying to envision how a conversation between 3G and LaVar Ball would go.

"Not pretty" would be the simplest way to describe such an encounter.
    78-65

Comment

• pie n eye
      pie n eye commented
      Editing a comment
      So you’re saying Marshall to the Lakers?

• Originally posted by Dave Stalwart View Post
    Breaking: marshall to UCLA. It’s a done deal
    The Newman job may open up.

Comment

• OregonShocker
      OregonShocker commented
      Editing a comment
      No; he's eyeing the assistant coach position at Ill State.

• I think Marshall's national stock has sunk a little. But if UCLA did come calling, they could throw some tremendous money around. Worst case scenario? We get Jans in his prime and hungry as a mofo. Would be sad but we'll be fine. And who knows, we could even have a huge resurgence. I doubt there would be much risk of a drop off. Don't underestimate Marshall's salemanship in the living room though; he's pretty charismatic.

Cue Arrgh: "What great sales job has Marshall exactly accomplished recently?"

T

...:cool:
    Last edited by C0|dB|00ded; December 24, 2018, 11:06 PM.

Comment

• pinstripers
      pinstripers commented
      Editing a comment
      I think his stock is down a bit as well.

• I think if Marshall misses the next two NCAA tournaments... Our fan base should worry a little bit.

Comment

• pinstripers
      pinstripers commented
      Editing a comment
      Whoooaaa. I actually expect to miss the next two.

• Some quick homework shows:
    First 10 games for Ron B - 23-63 from the field 37%. 16-50 from 3 for 32%
    First 11 games for FVV - 12-32 from the field for 38%. 5-12 from 3 for 41%
    First 11 games for Cleanthony - 53-122 from the field for 43%. 7-32 from 3 for 22%.

Different times and different teams but the three future NBA players didn't exactly scorch the nets at the start.

FWIW.
    Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

• ShockTalk
      ShockTalk commented
      Editing a comment
      Second note: Early, Armstead, Baker, Williams, and Cotton were all among our top 6 scorers that year (Hall being #2). They shot a combined 194-589 (.329) from 3pt with Cotton (you know, the guy who wasn't a good 3pt shooter) being the best of that group at .364. The team as a whole on free throws was .699 and the team's FG% for the year was .440.

On the other hand, as a team, they kept opponents at .395 FG% and .322 3pt%.

• C0|dB|00ded
      C0|dB|00ded commented
      Editing a comment
      "On the other hand, as a team, they kept opponents at .395 FG% and .322 3pt%."

The End.

T

...:cool:

• ShockTalk
      ShockTalk commented
      Editing a comment
      Cold, I didn't need to add the defensive numbers, but that was the difference between an experienced team and an inexperienced team.

The Final Four team was not a great, maybe not good, shooting team, yet there's a lot of posters on this board concerned about a bunch of freshmen/newbies shooting numbers. For myself, this team needs to be worked hard on it's D more than it's offense which probably should be kept simple. Let your defense help make your offense easier.

• As the season rolls on this year I want all of you to keep an eye towards next season. Just think:

- A senior Torres running the show from the point. The first pure point to run the show since FVV. He’s already showing flashes of having what it takes to be a good floor General. Now imagine him taking the second year JC jump that we have seen so many times.

- Stevenson and Dennis manning the wings. Best thing about freshmen is they become sophomores. Both have shown the potential to be cornerstone 2 way players you can build your team around. With a full season of being put through the fire under their belts, they really could develope in to a couple bad, bad dudes.

- The mean SOB Allen at the 4. The heart, soul, and attitude of the team. He sets the tone on both sides of the court with his play. His ability to get a bucket and be a go to guy will take the pressure off the other guys make everyone around him better.

- Senior Echenique locking down the 5 spot. What’s this guys potential at this point? Best big man we’ ve had since the 80’s? Even if he doesn’t take the 2nd year JC jump he is already a good post player.

- Burton, Brown, Udeze, and Chandler all with a full year under their belts ready to provide rock solid depth. Each had shown flashes of how they could be good contributors in the future.

- The incoming freshmen class of Etienne, Gordon, and Fernandes all look extremely promising. Fourtunately, unlike this year we shouldn’t need any of them to play huge mintutes and the opportunity to redshirt a couple of them is there.

My point is this year is going to be tough at times. Unless we beat Memphis I’d say it’s likely we start 0-5 in conference play. Keep an eye on the prize though. There is a light at the end up the tunnel and we are approaching it rapidly.

Comment

• I guess I'm not seeing what some of you guys are with Torres. From day 1 I could see his handles were a little loose, and that was just bringing the ball up against mild man to man pressure. Not saying I could see the 5-6 turnover games coming, especially when he didn't have a turnover for about as long as he didn't hit a 3, but his handles are not that great. Some of his turnovers in the SoMiss and VCU games were atrocious. I can see flashes of good passing and a good floor game, but I just don't see him solid enough with the rock to make a huge difference. Hope I'm wrong, but right now he just looks weak with the ball.

-Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind-

GO SHOX!

Comment

• Originally posted by Slalomshocker View Post
        I guess I'm not seeing what some of you guys are with Torres. From day 1 I could see his handles were a little loose, and that was just bringing the ball up against mild man to man pressure. Not saying I could see the 5-6 turnover games coming, especially when he didn't have a turnover for about as long as he didn't hit a 3, but his handles are not that great. Some of his turnovers in the SoMiss and VCU games were atrocious. I can see flashes of good passing and a good floor game, but I just don't see him solid enough with the rock to make a huge difference. Hope I'm wrong, but right now he just looks weak with the ball.
        I am with you. Nice kid and speaks well in public, but he can't get his own shot very well and he looks very slow against the likes of VCU (which he will get a steady diet of from AAC backcourts). His confidence from the arc is lower than Trumps bedside manner, but I do like his mid-range jumper. He is serviceable, but I don't see him being a starting point guard, even next year, of a team going places.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jhook89 View Post
          As the season rolls on this year I want all of you to keep an eye towards next season. Just think:

- A senior Torres running the show from the point. The first pure point to run the show since FVV. He’s already showing flashes of having what it takes to be a good floor General. Now imagine him taking the second year JC jump that we have seen so many times.

- Stevenson and Dennis manning the wings. Best thing about freshmen is they become sophomores. Both have shown the potential to be cornerstone 2 way players you can build your team around. With a full season of being put through the fire under their belts, they really could develope in to a couple bad, bad dudes.

- The mean SOB Allen at the 4. The heart, soul, and attitude of the team. He sets the tone on both sides of the court with his play. His ability to get a bucket and be a go to guy will take the pressure off the other guys make everyone around him better.

- Senior Echenique locking down the 5 spot. What’s this guys potential at this point? Best big man we’ ve had since the 80’s? Even if he doesn’t take the 2nd year JC jump he is already a good post player.

- Burton, Brown, Udeze, and Chandler all with a full year under their belts ready to provide rock solid depth. Each had shown flashes of how they could be good contributors in the future.

- The incoming freshmen class of Etienne, Gordon, and Fernandes all look extremely promising. Fourtunately, unlike this year we shouldn’t need any of them to play huge mintutes and the opportunity to redshirt a couple of them is there.

My point is this year is going to be tough at times. Unless we beat Memphis I’d say it’s likely we start 0-5 in conference play. Keep an eye on the prize though. There is a light at the end up the tunnel and we are approaching it rapidly.
          With the group that is currently on the floor, I don't see where we replace the points of MM and SHJ.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jhook89 View Post
            As the season rolls on this year I want all of you to keep an eye towards next season. Just think:

THIS....and ALL of this!

Comment

• I am already on record saying if RT is our starting PG next season it will be another long disappointing
              season. He is a liability on defense, shooting, and taking care of the ball versus other good back courts.
              Although it remains to be seen I am already pretty confident that Gordon is going to be a stud
              playing both the three and the four and I know TA will be very solid. With those two we won't miss MM.
              RB will really need to improve A LOT to be in the mix at power forward. I'll go on record right now saying
              TE will start at point. ES/DD/Gordon will share duty at the two guard and small forward spots. Hope we
              don't lose ANY centers for any reason. We will win at least 22 overall and 11 minimum in the AAC.
              TE and Gordon are going to be very good and play significant minutes. ES and DD will be MUCH
              improved. Long wait so I'll have to just enjoy watching this years group and hope they peak at year end.

Comment

• Originally posted by wusphlash View Post
                Some quick homework shows:
                First 10 games for Ron B - 23-63 from the field 37%. 16-50 from 3 for 32%
                First 11 games for FVV - 12-32 from the field for 38%. 5-12 from 3 for 41%
                First 11 games for Cleanthony - 53-122 from the field for 43%. 7-32 from 3 for 22%.

Different times and different teams but the three future NBA players didn't exactly scorch the nets at the start.

FWIW.
                Rational thinking alert!!
                "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

• Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post

Rational thinking alert!!
                  Wrong. Now you will be tainted by some as a "Sunshine Pumper" . They know best, because they are Pessimists, and smarter than you while you are dumb because you take the optimistic view. Just wait. It will happen. :)

By the way, I share some pessimistic views about this year, but I agree with you that it is not smart to limit players who may still grow and improve too early in their WSU career. There are lots of Shockers who didn't improve until the end of their first year and start of their second year. You just named a few. I just don't like having too many projects at the same time.
                  Last edited by Shockm; December 26, 2018, 11:26 AM.

Comment

• Markis is feeling all the defensive attention he is getting without others producing or producing more consistently. The first game against LA Tech aside, MM was 36-63 (.571) FG and 15-25 (.600) from 3 in his next four games. Since that time, he is 31-88 (.352) FG and 8-34 (.235) from 3. He could maybe help get his teammates more involved as he only has 10 assists so far and 5 of those were in the Rice game.

Ricky still has a lot to prove. His assists to turnovers was great in his first 8 games (18/2), but with the added minutes to almost 30 pg over the last 4 games, he's 16a/17to and that includes a 6a/1to game against ORU. He also doesn't get to the line having shot only 4 FTs so far this season. While his 3 pt shooting is lacking (2/25), inside the arc he's great at 15-21.

ES and DD both have the same problem of lack of consistency, however, their only in their first 12 D-I games. In 4 of ES's games, he was 18-41 (.439) FG, 12-24 (.500) from 3, and scored 62 points (15.5). The other 8 games were 16-67 (.239) FG, 6-44 (.136) from 3 and 38 points (4.75). DD's inconsistency is a little different. He did have back to back bad shooting games against OU and JSU, but generally shoots well. Outside those 2 games, he's 19-42 (.452) FG and 7-17 (.412) from 3. However, in 4 games he had 48 points (one game was 19) and the other 3 only 12. I'd put JB in this group as well. In 8 of his games, he's shot .452 FG and averaged 6.6 points. How many here realize he had 22 rebounds in the last 3 games. I have very high hopes for these players as they are tough as nails, hard workers on the floor. Looking for better consistency the rest of the season.

I'm still not convinced that Teddy is a 4. Height and weight, that puts him squarely between Rod Brown (6'6"/215) who looks small at the 4 and Ron Baker (6'4"/220) in size and he cannot shoot/stretch the defense like Baker could (if he was a 4). TA is the same height as DD and 1" taller than JB.

While JE is scoring and rebounding, he has to reduce his fouls and improve his stamina if he's to be a big impact player. IMO, an underrated player at this point is Udeze. MU also needs to reducing his fouling, but lets remember that he's only a freshman. He's putting up nice numbers for a freshman 5: 14 mpg, 3.4 rpg, 4.2 ppg, while shooting .561 FG. In only 3 mpg less than JE, he is turning the ball over at half the rate of JE. With JE out, MU, IPBC, and AM will all get to prove themselves. As I've said, I feel very good about MU. I believe IPBC has a lot of potential and needs to keep his head up and just work hard. We'll all see what possibly extended minutes will mean for AM.

Lastly, as a team, we are horrible at the line. Much of are future is in the hands of JE, MU, ES, DD, and JB. They are a combined 68-120 FT (.567). That will cost us wins.

Comment

Working...
                    X