We've lost our edge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Shock Top View Post
    They looked like the exact opposite team of the one on Wednesday.
    ORU is 300 ranked team
    VCU is a top 80 team

Comment

• It was tough watching "powerhouse" VCU's taller guard(s) exploit our smaller ones. That being said we might have won this game had Jaime not gone down. We were up about 6-7 pts. at the time. He demanded a double the second he touched the ball which lessened the "Havoc" effect. That's how good he is. Oh well.

By the way noobies... in case you wanted to know what we used to look like - minus a little unnecessary roughness - VCU made old CB nostalgic today. At the two minute mark VCU players were already glistening with sweat. Homeboys came to do work today. And even though they didn't hit an outside shot for about 75 minutes, they just kept pressuring, pressuring, pressuring. A casual observer would have thought that it was only a matter of time before VCU got worn out - then started to falter. I too saw that the clock was ticking, but I knew it was counting down to our demise. They weren't going to quit until we broke. They were playing for the zero-zero tie. They didn't need a basket. Those were men we met in Richmond and they smelled blood. They'll walk right into your family's kitchen and take the last loaf of bread off the table while staring down your hungry toddler.

Warriors. Killers. Victors.

Good for Mike Rhoades. His players aren't satisfied...

T

...:cool:

Comment

• I think the team deserves another comment on this issue from CB. Prior to Jaime going down, the team was actually playing fairly hard. They were nowhere near the level of VCU in terms of desperation and heart (Play Angry) but they weren't mailing it in either. All things considered we didn't gain or lose in the Play Angry department after yesterday's game. Still a long ways to go though.

Now, if we were at VCU's level of Play Angry I wouldn't be worried about losing Jaime. Of course the chances of anything special happening this season would be very low but we would be competitive and aspirations for the top half of the AAC would not be met with laughter. You see, when you are at Full Play Angry, you are ALWAYS in the game. When you are within a couple baskets with 3 minutes left anything can happen. Without Play Angry you get blown out like we have seemingly every other match. I think we've gotten blown out more games this season than all of Gregg Marshall's prior combined. Maybe an exaggeration but it sure feels like it. That begins and ends with P.A.

T

Comment

• Just checked the box score. VCU shot 50% from the field. LOL! Isn't that amazing? A team like them would never have broken 40% against the P.A. Shockers. Teams with UBER athletes like Ron Baker, Fred VanVleet, and Evan Wessel............................................ ...........

T

Comment

• Marshall needs to keep looking for diamond in the rough players... Play angry can be established again by having high basketball IQ players that have a huge chip on their shoulders.

Comment

• This thread should be locked.

Comment

• C0|dB|00ded
                C0|dB|00ded commented
                Editing a comment
                Gregg Marshall doesn't agree. In fact Gregg and I see eye to eye. Both of us saw Play Angry for one of the few times this season the other night and both of us count said event as the play of the year so far.

I've watched Gregg take his glasses off during the game a lot this year. Why do you think he does that? Correct. He doesn't want to be able to see the play on the court.

T

• Even before JE's injury I thought your prediction was pretty BOLD and now it seems very improbable, however,
              the conference season hasn't even started. Can't wait for it to begin but for you to be remotely right these things:

1. Our three centers need to collectively average 14 points and 14 rebounds per game
              2. Can't start or play two small guards at the same time and SHJ needs to play lights out 60-70% of the time
              3. ES and DD need to start hitting shots and finishing drives...........like the chances of this happening
              4. MM has to step it up a notch also
              5. Good minutes from JB and RB most games

Comment

• The two freshman center forwards need to take it up a notch but the sophomore center really needs to take it up a notch or two. The rest of this season, barring an injury, will be Midtgaard's opportunity to elevate his game and prove that he belongs on next year's team.

Comment

• Y’all know it’s a rebuilding season right?
                  Hows my post? send me feedback at 1-800-f$%k-off

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxrox89 View Post
                    Y’all know it’s a rebuilding season right?
                    Sans Etch, a 500 season seems optimistic, with perhaps an NIT next season

Comment

• You know there might be a silver lining in the game against VCU. Remember how we boat raced Houston last year and the players used that game as a catalyst to completely change their season? I bet they were forced to rewatch that game a dozen times. Houston sure gave us a dose of Play Angry when we came down to Ozone City. Maybe Marshall will replay this game over and over and over and over until it sinks in just how hard you have to play to compete (and win) at this level.

Again, I'm not focusing on execution or missed shots one single iota. I will know the Shockers are getting it when the score is 20-18 at the half, and 54-50 at the final buzzer on nights we aren't shooting well. We will have Play Angry then. We lost 70-54 yesterday to a team that can't shoot a lick. We handed them a 50% FG performance on a silver platter.

T

Comment

• So far in this thread I have focused on energy and effort as the main culprit, but there are many other possibilities that are much harder to discern as a fan. I am praying our defensive woes are not partly due to scouting report preparation. If the players aren't getting good intel on their opponent's tendencies and not getting good in-game coaching to reiterate opponent's tendencies (or adjustments)... they can look like they're slacking when they are just not prepared.

Jans was a genius in that field.

T

Comment

• chris is a master of the details. gregg’s success in wichita is large in part to cj’s contributions.

one of the things i liked about cj and gh is that they were always on their feet coaching. i don’t see that anymore.

Comment

• Chris got outwitted by a Valley team the other night.
                            Deuces Valley.
                            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• WstateU
                              WstateU commented
                              Editing a comment
                              CJ’s good, but he gets too much credit for our success. I probably need to take a vacation from this board. Merry Christmas to everyone!

https://memegenerator.net/img/instances/70739443.jpg

• wusphlash
                              wusphlash commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Cannot blame you. Everbody's reeeeaaaccccchhhhing for reasons when we all knew this could be a tough year.

• Originally posted by shoxrox89 View Post
                            Y’all know it’s a rebuilding season right?
                            Next year is long ways off, there is a lot can happen between now and then (UCLA job likely will be open).

I think (maybe I’m wrong), but people would just be happy if they could see improvement in this team. It hasn’t happened yet, maybe after Christmas the light bulb will come on.

Comment

Working...
                          X