Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C0|dB|00ded
    commented on 's reply
    There's that one but I've got to believe that most of what Jans learned came straight from Marshall. His coaching career spanned 16 seasons culminating with a 4 year stint at the Redturds. He wasn't on the fast track. I want to believe that Marshall can build more Jans's if he gets the right raw material.

That being said, I'd like to have Jans back immediately! :*(

I want Fred, Ron, and Tekele back too! :*(*****

T

...:cool:

• N Crestway
    replied
    The theory that I don't like to think about is the presence of Chris Jans and how important he was for the great run. In two years he has rebuilt NMSU into something resembling the those Shocker teams.

Leave a comment:

• C0|dB|00ded
    replied
    I do have another theory that I don't like to think about very much and that is the level of importance Fred, Ron, Tekele, and Evan played on our magical seasons. I used to think it was 50/50 Marshall and the crew. What if it was really 25/75? How many times did HCGM say he didn't even need to coach when Fred was on the floor?

Spooky.

T

Leave a comment:

• C0|dB|00ded
    replied
    Originally posted by proshox View Post
    The program is sliding backwards... will it snowball?

Next year is going to be HUGE for the long term outlook...the magic days will be long gone history to recruits looking for NCAA success.

WSU in the MVC was the equivalent of Koch Industries finding an inefficiency in a market then exploiting the living hell out of it. We got 21 games a year against respectable but completely overmatched competition. This allowed us to become a well oiled, confident, sometimes cocky machine while moving up the polls. Those days are over.

Now we have to do it on a level playing field. Whether people like it or not, kicking ass year/in & year/out is much harder now. Not impossible, more fun to watch, but harder nonetheles.
    The program has slid backwards with respect to our national reputation for sure. We are still scheduling like a major power though and are in an improved conference. We have a better support system to keep from slipping too fast but we've got to get back into the top 25 ASAP. Right now that seems like a million miles away.

I define an edge as an advantage. Our advantage with HCGM has been his ability to get kids to run through walls for him. He's been asked by the national media ad nauseam how he has been able to get the Shockers to play so hard. An answer was never given. Well, he always says, "I recruit good kids". I asked Heiar once how they get the players to try and kill each other during unsupervised scrimmages, only a smirk was returned. That essence is Play Angry and it's what has been missing from the program for the last two years. A 24/7 chip on your shoulder mentality where you are out to prove to the world that you belong. That theme resonated from the coaches down to the waterboys.

Like I said, we are a victim of our own success/riches. Everyone from the coaching staff down to the waterboys now know we belong.

Now we're starting not to...

T

Leave a comment:

• shoxlax
    replied
    Originally posted by N Crestway View Post

Don't think this is an over reaction. Next year will be huge and WSU will still have a very young team.
    You two seem to be quick to defend each other’s posts.

Leave a comment:

• ShockerFever
    replied
    Originally posted by N Crestway View Post

Don't think this is an over reaction. Next year will be huge and WSU will still have a very young team.
    Of course you don't think it is.

Why in the world are you here during a KU basketball game?

Leave a comment:

• N Crestway
    replied

Next year is going to be HUGE for the long term outlook...the magic days will be long gone history to recruits looking for NCAA success.

WSU in the MVC was the equivalent of Koch Industries finding an inefficiency in a market then exploiting the living hell out of it. We got 21 games a year against respectable but completely overmatched competition. This allowed us to become a well oiled, confident, sometimes cocky machine while moving up the polls. Those days are over.

Now we have to do it on a level playing field. Whether people like it or not, kicking ass year/in & year/out is much harder now. Not impossible, more fun to watch, but harder nonetheles.

Leave a comment:

• proshox
    commented on 's reply
    I do like what I see in the young guys... but losing can become a habit and we just don’t get many easy wins

• top20shock
    replied
    This entire thread is worthless and ignorant.

Leave a comment:

replied
    Fans need to stop overreacting. This was always going to be an up and down year for us because of the youth. Our core is made up of freshman. Freshman are inconsistent. One minute they will look like world beaters, the next minute they will look like the worst D1 team you’ve ever seen. Shot making will be inconsistent with this group. Intelligent play will be inconsistent with this group. Effort will be inconsistent with this group. Not because Marshall has changed, but because freshman have not changed. These guys are who we all should have thought they would be.

The good news is that in the same way it should have been easy to predict that this years team would suck, its just as easy to predict that our future is bright. If you can’t see that guys like Dexter Dennis, Erik Stevenson, and J. Burton, along with some of the studs we got coming in like D. Gordon and T. Etienne have the traditional shocker edge, but with more talent, then you are blind.

And speaking of that traditional shocker “play angry” edge, let’s not pretend like every Marshall team prior to this one didn’t have guys who either looked soft or seemed to lack a certain work ethic, especially early in their careers here. I won’t call anyone out personally, but this program under Marshall has had several “looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane” type of dudes.
    Last edited by 1989; December 8, 2018, 07:32 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ShockerFever
    replied

Overreaction.

Leave a comment:

• SB Shock
    replied
    Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

I think we are playing angrier this year than last year. The first half defense of Baylor was text book playing angry. Even the first half of this game had the angry attitude, we just couldn't hit shots
    Maybe. The team defensive metric is slightly better than last year. WSU is forcing more turnovers compared to last year. But WSU rebounding metric is signifantly worse. WSU is 236 in allowing Offensive rebounds.

I do agree about today game I thought WSU was battling in the first half, I just wasn't expecting them to roll over in the 2nd. Just never seen that ever in the GGG team before.

Leave a comment:

• proshox
    replied

Leave a comment:

• proshox
    commented on 's reply
    Last year’s defensive issues had a lot to do with coaching stubbornness. Play one post with McDuffie at the four and many of the issues go away.

• C0|dB|00ded
    replied
    Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

So are you saying you don't mind UglyBallTM?
    Shhhhhhhhhhh. (can't find a shhh emote)

We've always played UglyBallTM at times brother. You know this. We kept it in our back pocket when the offensive **** hit the fan. We've pulled more games out with UB over the years than I could shake a stick at.

P.S. Last year we played PrettyBallTM. How'd you like that?

T

Leave a comment:

Working...
X