2018-19 Smack Talk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2018-19 Smack Talk

"Candidates for Michigan if John Beilein Leaves for the Detroit Pistons" - HERO Sports

By Andrew Doughty
    Published on June 01, 2018 at 5:16 PM EDT

https://herosports.com/college-baske...ll-jordan-ahah

"John Beilein interviewed for the Detroit Pistons job. Who could replace him at Michigan?

ESPN NBA writer Adrian Wojnarowski dropped a bomb on Twitter on Friday afternoon: Michigan head coach John Beilein interviewed for the Detroit Pistons' coaching vacancy on Thursday.

Beilein is entering his 12th season at Michigan is only two months removed from taking the Wolverines to their second national title game in the last six years. He is 248-143 at the school and has two Big Ten regular-season titles and two Big Ten Tournament titles.

Who might replace Beilein if he is offered the job and accepts it? Here are some potential favorites, along with a list of other possibilities:

GREGG MARSHALL
    Current Position: Head Coach - Wichita State

Gregg Marshall is clearly happy in Wichita but is he waiting for his perfect situation like Shaka Smart did after many years and courtships at VCU?

He's making incredible money ($3.5 million annually) for a mid-major coach."

Well, that was nice, until the very end.

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock Reaper View Post
      "Candidates for Michigan if John Beilein Leaves for the Detroit Pistons" - HERO Sports

[I]By Andrew Doughty
      Published on June 01, 2018 at 5:16 PM EDT

https://herosports.com/college-baske...ll-jordan-ahah

He's making incredible money ($3.5 million annually) for a mid-major coach."
      Not much perspective there...

He's making incredible money for a "Major" Coach. No?

Comment

"Musings: Wildcats in the Bahamas, Jon Rothstein Rankings, and the Penny Hardaway Threat" - SB Nation

By James Streble
        Aug 7, 2018, 12:04pm EDT

https://www.aseaofblue.com/college-b...penny-hardaway

"The Penny Hardaway Threat

Memphis fans REALLY want Kentucky and Memphis to be rivals. While Hardaway may have made a splash on the recruiting trail early in his tenure at Memphis, we still don’t know if he can, you know, coach.

Before landing the job he currently occupies, his coaching experience was limited to AAU and high school players. Yes, that’s it. He’s never been on a college or professional bench in a coaching capacity.

Hot take alert: Penny is a flash in the pan. Yeah, he’ll have some success as a recruiter for the first couple of years at Memphis. Then when he actually has to coach he’s going to flame out, badly.

The AAC is not a slouch conference. It includes Cincinnati, Wichita State, Houston, and UConn. And while Memphis fans will cut Penny some slack in his first season, they won’t settle for middle to back of the pack AAC success.

This entire Cal vs. Penny thing is fun for now. But when actual basketball coaching comes into play and recruits see that Penny has no idea what he’s doing, it’ll be over."

Comment

Recruiting helps... Look at Calipari... Time will tell

Comment

Hell yeah recruiting helps. Look at Self.

Comment

Originally posted by California Shocker View Post
            Hell yeah recruiting helps. Look at Self.
            Adidas agrees with you.

The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
            We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Do we have any reason to believe penny has the ability to recruit players that didn’t grow up playing for him?

Comment

• ShockdaWorld
                ShockdaWorld commented
                Editing a comment
                I’ve asked this question on the AAC board, and from Memphis fans reaction you’d think I said he had a 3rd eye and was missing an arm. They seem to think he can recruit anyone. I would almost agree for the next year or two as long as his and Mike Millers kids are still coming out of the AAU circuit. After that, I think he’ll still do well even if it’s just getting Memphis kids to stay home. Of course that also depends on how long it takes for the NCAA to come knocking if kids keep asking out of their LOI to go to Memphis. Those can’t be cheap business meetings for $.01

The question is, what draws these kids to Penny in the first place? Is it just his name and experience as a player? He really doesn't have much of a track record as a coach at all. This will be fun to watch but I am hopeful he is able to keep Memphis relevant and a winning program, except when it comes to us of course. I think the stronger every team is in the AAC, the better for the entire league.

Comment

• Stickboy46
                Stickboy46 commented
                Editing a comment
                Name and Brand. Penny has had a successful shoe line for a long time. That’s important to kids. Memphis is already integrating that brand into their uniforms. I honestly can see why they would be drawn to it AT THIS POINT. If he doesn’t win right away though .. that cool factor will wear off quickly.

"College basketball: Streaks that might continue (or discontinue) this season" - NCAA.COM

BY ANDY KATZ | CORRESPONDENT
              SEPTEMBER 27, 2018

The march to Minneapolis begins this week with the official start of practice. And the coaches are hardly focusing on the streaks at stake. So why not make a number of predictions that you’ll have to hold me to in March and early April.

"The march to Minneapolis begins this week with the official start of practice. And the coaches are hardly focusing on the streaks at stake.So why not make a number of predictions that you’ll have to hold me to in March and early April....

10. Wichita State, Arizona and Xavier will have their NCAA tournament consecutive streaks ended at seven, six and five seasons in a row, respectively (not afraid to say this could be considered a bridge season for these programs)...."

Comment

"Best Bets: Which top teams are easiest national title fades?" - NBC Sports

By Rob Dauster
                Oct 10, 2018, 1:00 PM EDT

"During the 2018-19 college basketball season, we will be taking deeper dives into the betting markets now that sports gambling has been legalized outside of the state of Nevada. To kick the season off, we are going to break down National Title futures and which bets are worth your time and money.

Here are the five teams with odds 50:1 or lower that are the easiest to fade during the preseason.

1. OREGON (+2,000)...
                2, MICHIGAN (+3,000)...
                3. UCLA (+3,000)...
                4. INDIANA (+4,000)...
                5. WICHITA STATE (+4,000)

Simply put, this is just a terrible line, and not in the way that we want to exploit. Wichita State is a good program that has had success in the NCAA tournament in the past and the kind of name recognition that goes beyond their place in college basketball’s hierarchy, but it would be (ahem) shocking if this was the year that the Shockers were to cut down the nets.

They lose nine of their top 11 scorers and 89 percent of their minutes played from last season, and none of the kids they have coming into the program this season are the kind of impact recruits that can dig them out of a rebuilding season. Gregg Marshall is Gregg Marshall, so anything is possible, but I will say that people around the AAC that I’ve spoken to expect them to finish in the bottom four of their league standings.

There are only 14 teams with lower odds to win the title.

I’d take Wichita State (+4,000) to get a bid to the NCAA tournament. I don’t know if there is a line that would get me to bet on them to win the national title."

Comment

"Three preseason burning questions about the AAC" - ESPN

By Jeff Borzello
                  Posted: Oct 14, 2018

"3. Which American team will be the most dangerous in the 2019 NCAA tournament?

Borzello: Whichever team makes it. Yeah, I said it. I think there's a legitimate chance the AAC gets only one team into the NCAA tournament....It's a step-back season for the American and as a result, there's a chance it only gets one tourney bid on Selection Sunday...."

Comment

• Rocky Mountain Shock
                    Rocky Mountain Shock commented
                    Editing a comment
                    One team? Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but that's a legitimately stupid opinion.

Even with a whole rebuilding team this season. We will be top 3 in the AAC. I’m pretty sure Marshal will shape this young bucks.

Comment

"6 Hot Takes We're Buying at Tipoff of the 2018-19 College Basketball Season" - Bleacher Report

BY KERRY MILLER
                    POSTED: NOVEMBER 5, 2018

It isn't easy to come up with preseason hot takes about a sport with no actual preseason, but that didn't stop us from trying for the 2018-19 men's college basketball campaign...

"Arizona, Louisville, Saint Mary's and Wichita St. Will All Miss NCAA Tournament...

Factoring in the "others receiving votes," the AAC did not place a single team in the top 33 of the preseason AP poll. Cincinnati, Houston and UCF all have potential, but they are no guarantee to be great. Wichita State is likely headed for its worst season in a decade. And who knows what Connecticut will accomplish in Dan Hurley's first season as head coach?..."

Comment

• Steeleshocker
                      Steeleshocker commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Put that all over every bulletin board in the entire arena.

"2018-2019 College Basketball Predictions" - The Big Lead

By: Jason McIntyre
                    Posted: 11/06/18, 11:00am cst

Get the most current sports news, GIFs, photos and rumours from The Big Lead, always racking up the top sports news headlines.

"Biggest name program to miss the NCAA Tournament: Wichita State!"

Comment

Working...
                    X