No announcement yet.

Austin Reaves transferring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'd gladly trade the two games he would help us this year for two he cost us last year. Brokedick. Good riddance.
    Last edited by BOBB; January 8, 2019, 06:46 PM.
    Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

• When AR left he was all class. He didn't trash the coach, the program, or point any fingers. He thanked HCGM, and wished WSU the best. Don't understand all the hate. On the other hand, Chance Moore was a malcontent who wouldn't even stand to cheer on his teammates because he was too busy sulking. He seems to get nothing but love from Shock fans. It's weird.

I'm guessing it's because AR transfer actually hurts because he is better than people want to admit. Obviously the Moore transfer didn't hurt because he was.....well.....nothing.

Comment

• BOBB
        BOBB commented
        Editing a comment
        Chance Moore wasn't going to play here. That was evident early, so there is a difference.

• Dave Stalwart
        Dave Stalwart commented
        Editing a comment
        My understanding was that HCGM was the one taking the high road given the circumstances.

• I guess this is as close to a mea culpa as we’ll ever get from Cold. Despite the extraneous insults, it’s nice to know you’re capable of contrition.

Comment

• Whats not to like... except that Austin ran out on a fan base that loved him and on a team that would absolutely be relying on him this year. My positive spin is that he left to take a year off to try to build more upper body strength and avoid an injury plagued year trying to carry the team. There may be a negative spin as well, but no one is talking. Personally I'm ambivalent about him at this point.

Comment

• I am anxious to watch AR play for Coach Kruger next season; IMO he is a winner in all aspects. I do not like that he left, don't know why he left and regret greatly that he left the Shockers.

I just hope he doesn't burn the Shocks when we play OU next year.

Comment

• pinstripers
            pinstripers commented
            Editing a comment
            yep on all counts

• All offense and no defense; he went to the perfect place for him.
          "Long wave the Yellow and the Black..."

Comment

• Originally posted by Husker4Shockers View Post
            All offense and no defense; he went to the perfect place for him.
            He often appeared to get beat off the bounce, but somehow he often managed to recover. Took a lot of charges, when he could have been shy because of his shoulder. While no tthe quickest defender, he played with high IQn defense.
            "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
            ---------------------------------------
            Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
            "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
            "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• I hated it when he left and we do miss him dearly but I think he found a good match in Lonnie. Wish him nothing but great things except for one game next year.
              Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

Based on what I’ve seen so far I think Reaves was a better defender than Stevenson at similar points in their career.

Stevenson needs to work on his lateral quickness but he's quick enough that he should be better than he is. Improved anticipation and positioning go a long way towards masking the lack of lateral quickness. I wonder how much defensive coaching he’s received before WSU.

Comment

• Curious, thinking back to AR's rookie campaign and comparing his production/potential at that time to our current flock of freshman wings....

​1. Who do you think is having as good or better of a freshman season?

2. Looking back 4 years from now do you think any will have had a better college career than AR?

Obviously the variables (veteran vs inexperienced team, AR's health, etc) and comfort levels are much different.

1. I think he was better in every offensive skill (shooting, passing, ball handling) than any of our current perimeter freshman. I also think he moved much better off the ball and had a considerably higher BBIQ than any of our current flock.

2. I see DD as the only candidate to have a better college career.
                  Last edited by IndianaShocker; January 8, 2019, 11:06 PM.

Comment

Oh, I see...like the overwhelming, chart busting 48 we scored on them, or the 70 that Beakerville managed on them...yeah, no defense....

Comment

• Husker4Shockers
                      Husker4Shockers commented
                      Editing a comment
                      That was more us than them.

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

Based on what I’ve seen so far I think Reaves was a better defender than Stevenson at similar points in their career.

Stevenson needs to work on his lateral quickness but he's quick enough that he should be better than he is. Improved anticipation and positioning go a long way towards masking the lack of lateral quickness. I wonder how much defensive coaching he’s received before WSU.
                    I guess time fades the memory.

I recall Reaves getting blasted on defense numerous times, mostly due to a weaker upper body and inability to recover off cuts to the basket. He certainly wasn't stronger then ES and was abused by anyone who forced a low block match up.
                    ES is also a much better rebounder and certainly gets off the floor quicker and has better hands.

Sure, everyone has recent memory and thoughts on ES. But we are talking about a freshman who has played all of 13 games. When it's all said and done, ES will be a much better upgrade over the player who decided to leave the program.

That is all.
                    Above all, make the right call.

Comment

• BOBB
                      BOBB commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I plan to start a new thread mocking you to make up for all the agreement we are having.

• Originally posted by ShockRef View Post

I guess time fades the memory.

I recall Reaves getting blasted on defense numerous times, mostly due to a weaker upper body and inability to recover off cuts to the basket. He certainly wasn't stronger then ES and was abused by anyone who forced a low block match up.
                    ES is also a much better rebounder and certainly gets off the floor quicker and has better hands.

Sure, everyone has recent memory and thoughts on ES. But we are talking about a freshman who has played all of 13 games. When it's all said and done, ES will be a much better upgrade over the player who decided to leave the program.

That is all.
                    Agreed. And I didn’t mean to say I thought Reaves was a great defender or that Stevenson was a lost cause. Reaves definitely had his issues on that end and I think Stevenson has the tools necessary to be much better on D than the limited sample we’ve seen. That’s why I questioned how much/the quality of defensive coaching he received prior to arriving at WSU.

Comment

• If I was to offer tips to ES and the other perimeter defenders constantly getting beat with
                      the dribble drive it would be this. Play off another half step and over play their strong hand
                      another half step. At least make them beat you with their weak hand NOT their strong one

Comment

• pie n eye
                        pie n eye commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I would add DONT FALL FOR THE HESITATION DRIBBLE! I’ve seen that a few too many times from all our young guards this year.

• Reaves was a great player but he definitely had luxuries these freshman don't have. There were a high amount of seasoned veterans on the team which allowed Reaves to be eased into his role. There were other great shooters to help spread the floor a bit for Reaves and he started out playing in the Valley. I think if any of these freshman came into a situation like that, their shooting percentages would probably be much better and they would appear much more refined.

It really is impressive what this group of freshman have been able to do while lacking great leadership on the team. I'm not knocking MM or SHJ but I think they would be best in a position where they weren't relied upon to be leaders but it is what it is.

I know we miss Reaves, but a guy I think we missed that could have really helped last year was Daishon Smith. I know he had his deficiencies as well but I think he could have really helped last year. The writing was on the wall when he knew Landry and Austin would take up more minutes. Had anybody been able to see into the future, it makes you wonder if he could have been convinced to stay and redshirt last year and take on the bulk of responsibilities this year.

Comment

Working...
                    X