Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Going back to WU...read before you vote!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I will look for that statute as I look for the statute that says pigs are not allowed to fly on campus.

Not a good argument on your part.

Adding "State" to the name was part of the deal cut when WU was brought into the State Regents system in 1964. Some want WSU to become the Univesity of Southen Kansas and others wanted the University of Kansas - Wichita.

Read up on history. It is an interesting subject.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock
      When was the last time we made a splash on the national scene as something other than "Wichita State University"? All those CWS appearences and championsihp. Our Sweet16 year and early-to-mid 80s success. All as WSU.

To change the name now I think would be a step backwards. We'd have to rebuild the identity we've created the past 30 years.
      Fair enough. Why do you suppose Memphis State went back to "Memphis"? They had two final fours as MSU.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever
        Originally posted by BostonWu
        "The Wichita University thing would never work. You're comparing us to DePaul, Temple, Tulane, etc., where those schools are named for people, not for cities. Therefore that possibility is out."

Ever heard of Boston University?
        That's a very rare exception. Maybe like one or two of those exist in the NCAA. Do you really want WSU or "Wichita University" to be compared with an America East team?
        This goes way beyond athletics (as you imply America East team). BU is a fine ademic institution with over double the enrollment of WSU.

Comment

"The Wichita University thing would never work. You're comparing us to DePaul, Temple, Tulane, etc., where those schools are named for people, not for cities. Therefore that possibility is out."

That's a very rare exception. Maybe like one or two of those exist in the NCAA. Do you really want WSU or "Wichita University" to be compared with an America East team?
          This goes way beyond athletics (as you imply America East team). BU is a fine ademic institution with over double the enrollment of WSU.
          Agreed. And I love their mascot. Boston Terriers. I own one, damn fine breed.

Comment

I realize this.. but while we are in an athletic forum, I'm comparing athletics, not academics. And in an athletic sense, it would be a step back.. IMO.
            Deuces Valley.
            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by ABC
              Originally posted by RoyalShock
              When was the last time we made a splash on the national scene as something other than "Wichita State University"? All those CWS appearences and championsihp. Our Sweet16 year and early-to-mid 80s success. All as WSU.

To change the name now I think would be a step backwards. We'd have to rebuild the identity we've created the past 30 years.
              Fair enough. Why do you suppose Memphis State went back to "Memphis"? They had two final fours as MSU.
              Both of you make good points, but since I'm on the U of W side of this one.. ABC's was better.. :D
              Deuces Valley.
              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

FWIW, and I’m going strictly on memory here so no guarantees, a University in the Kansas State system, is required to have either the single name of the state (taken by KU), the name of the State plus the word “State” (taken by KSU), or incorporate the word “State” into their name. There are no exceptions.

In addition to the Universities that comprise the State system, the State also provides “guidance” to Washburn University. In return for some minimal funding, relative to the schools in the system, at least one member of the State Board is required to set on the governing Board of Washburn.

The naming conventions would vary by State.

As far as Memphis is concerned, they were the University of Memphis prior to joining the State system and becoming Memphis State University. IIRC, they had to petition the Tennessee Legislature to change the Tennessee laws, to allow them to drop “State” from their name.

Comment

Working...
                X