Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Going back to WU...read before you vote!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think I remember somewhere that if you receive state funds you must either have state or Kansas in your name hence Kansas State, Kansas University, etc.

Maybe we could be Wichita Kansas University... lol ......... NOT University of Kansas @ Wichita :-x :-x :-x :-x :-x

WKU? On second thought...

WSU it is! :)

T

...8)

Comment

Like many have said, University of Wichita sounds like it fits better for what the university is, than does Wichita State University. However, if we were University of Wichita, what would we be called commonly? Like you call University of Kansas "KU", Kansas State "K-State", would University of Wichita be "WU" or just "Wichita"? Would you pronounce "WU" like "woo" or say the letters W-U? Didn't people in town used to just call the university "the U" or "the university" because it sounded weird calling it "Wichita"?

At least now you can say "Wichita State" and people know you're talking about the university and not the city in general. Plus like Cold said, I think it's a law that the name has to have State or Kansas in it, which is why the name was changed in 1964 when the university became part of the state system.

Comment

Originally posted by WuShockFan
        Like many have said, University of Wichita sounds like it fits better for what the university is, than does Wichita State University. However, if we were University of Wichita, what would we be called commonly? Like you call University of Kansas "KU", Kansas State "K-State", would University of Wichita be "WU" or just "Wichita"? Would you pronounce "WU" like "woo" or say the letters W-U? Didn't people in town used to just call the university "the U" or "the university" because it sounded weird calling it "Wichita"?

At least now you can say "Wichita State" and people know you're talking about the university and not the city in general. Plus like Cold said, I think it's a law that the name has to have State or Kansas in it, which is why the name was changed in 1964 when the university became part of the state system.
        I don't think there's an identity crisis happening in Cincinnati or Louisville or Memphis. If we're to elevate ourselves, dropping the State would be beneficial. They'd call us Wichita. It's who we are.

Comment

I have no hard facts and figures available, but I seem to recall that enrollment at Wichita University was around 4,000 in 1964 before we became Wichita State. By the mid 70s, it was around 15,500. I doubt all of those students came from the Wichita Metro area.

Either way you go it's a double edged sword. Part of the reason for being a "state" institution is to project an image beyond being a Municipal college or institution. Others think it marginalizes you like having a direction in your name.... Being part of the State system, I'm sure has allowed the school to expand it's scope and appeal. I personally think changing your name shows an identify crisis on our part more than anything...

We've been WSU for more than 40 years now. I don't think it demeans us, and changing our name (like we did with the "The Wichita State University" phase), leaves the impression that we are trying to put lipstick on a pig....

We don't need to change our name. We don't need to change our conference. We just need to consistently perform at a high level in all things we do, and let our performance and reputation do our talking for us.

:posterwsu: :posterwsu: :posterwsu: :posterwsu: :posterwsu: :posterwsu: :posterwsu: :posterwsu: :posterwsu: :posterwsu:
          Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

I do think a name change should be considered. I understand that if we receive State funds then the word 'State' or 'Kansas' needs to be instituted in the name of the university. However, I would like to argue this:

I believe having the word 'State' in our name gives the impression that our University is largely state funded/supported and that, IMO, has a negative connotation. To me, it says WSU can't make it on its own. I would be curious to see what percentage of state funding actually makes up WSU's total funding. If the state provides a large percentage of funding, then I have no problem with keeping the name.

However, if the state's assistance represents a minimal amount of funding toward the University, then I believe a change to the University of Wichita should apply. To me, this sounds more upscale. I would argue that being state funded is different than being state assisted. State funded - keep the name. State assisted - change the name.

The City of Wichita has grown tremendously since the university's name was changed 40 years ago. The University has evolved with the growing city of ours and has gotten bigger and better. It is time to have an identity of our own. We can be called U-dub for short.

Comment

Some of us remember the last name change - tWSU. It went over like lead painted toys from China.

Next thing is we'll see WSU colors changed to either Black and Maroon or Black and White.....oh wait that has already happened.

Comment

There isn't a requirement for "State" to be in the name if the institution receives state funds.

Washburn receives lots from the State of Kansas.

And I will repeat myself. There are many state schools across the country w/o "State" in their name.

Add Temple and Houston to the list I already posted.

Comment

Well, I've always been perfectly happy being a grad of WSU (without the "the"). How about Kansas State University - Wichita? *Ducks and covers*. 8)

Comment

Originally posted by BostonWu
                    "The Wichita University thing would never work. You're comparing us to DePaul, Temple, Tulane, etc., where those schools are named for people, not for cities. Therefore that possibility is out."

Ever heard of Boston University?
                    That's a very rare exception. Maybe like one or two of those exist in the NCAA. Do you really want WSU or "Wichita University" to be compared with an America East team?
                    Deuces Valley.
                    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock
                      Some of us remember the last name change - tWSU. It went over like lead painted toys from China.
                      I'd hardly call that a name change. That was just a very dumb and very corny decision and that's why it lasted a whole 2 or 3 years.
                      Deuces Valley.
                      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

I think the biggest issue when they added "the" to it is that they paid some image firm, or whatever, a sick amount of money to come up with the idea.
                        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by ABC
                          There isn't a requirement for "State" to be in the name if the institution receives state funds.

And I will repeat myself. There are many state schools across the country w/o "State" in their name.

Hey ABC, I know this is a sports message board and everything and people can just spout off about whatever they want, but before you say definitively that there isn't a requirement for "state" to be in the name, please give me a state statute or administrative regulation citation to back it up, don't just say it like your opinion is absolute fact. I've searched the Kansas Statutes Annotated on the legislature website for an hour and I can't find any statute that says state has to be in the name, but I can't find a statute that says it doesn't either.

According the Kansas Board of Regents website: "The Kansas Board of Regents governs six state universities, and supervises and coordinates 19 community colleges, five technical colleges, six technical schools and a municipal university." Source: http://www.kansasregents.org/institutions/index.html.

Washburn University may or may not receive state funds. I don't know where there funding comes from. They are supervised by the state board of regents, but they are a municipal university. That is why they don't have state in their name. The six state universities all have state in their name, except University of Kansas. University of Kansas might have an exception because they are the flagship university in the state, or because they are the oldest state university, idk. Clearly there is some standardization that the board of regents wants the state universities to have in their names when they look like this: Pittsburg State University, Emporia State University, Fort Hays State University, Wichita State University, Kansas State University.

Comment

Originally posted by WuShockFan
                            Originally posted by ABC

Hey ABC, I know this is a sports message board and everything and people can just spout off about whatever they want, but before you say definitively that there isn't a requirement for "state" to be in the name, please give me a state statute or administrative regulation citation to back it up, don't just say it like your opinion is absolute fact. I've searched the Kansas Statutes Annotated on the legislature website for an hour and I can't find any statute that says state has to be in the name, but I can't find a statute that says it doesn't either.

According the Kansas Board of Regents website: "The Kansas Board of Regents governs six state universities, and supervises and coordinates 19 community colleges, five technical colleges, six technical schools and a municipal university." Source: http://www.kansasregents.org/institutions/index.html.

Washburn University may or may not receive state funds. I don't know where there funding comes from. They are supervised by the state board of regents, but they are a municipal university. That is why they don't have state in their name. The six state universities all have state in their name, except University of Kansas. University of Kansas might have an exception because they are the flagship university in the state, or because they are the oldest state university, idk. Clearly there is some standardization that the board of regents wants the state universities to have in their names when they look like this: Pittsburg State University, Emporia State University, Fort Hays State University, Wichita State University, Kansas State University.
                            WuShockFan, I am not sure what your point is. But it looks like we agree. There isn't a requirement to have "state" in the name. And even if there were, that rule could be changed.

Let me repeat again. Washburn receives state funds.

What was your point again?

Comment

When was the last time we made a splash on the national scene as something other than "Wichita State University"? All those CWS appearences and championsihp. Our Sweet16 year and early-to-mid 80s success. All as WSU.

To change the name now I think would be a step backwards. We'd have to rebuild the identity we've created the past 30 years.

Comment

Originally posted by ABC
                                WuShockFan, I am not sure what your point is. But it looks like we agree. There isn't a requirement to have "state" in the name. And even if there were, that rule could be changed.

Let me repeat again. Washburn receives state funds.

What was your point again?
                                I was asking for you to cite the state statute, law, regulation, etc. that says a state board of regents governed university does not have to have "state" in the official school name. Since you keep saying there isn't a requirement for a state-governed university to have "state" in the name, I wanted you to cite the law for me so I could know whether that was true. If there wasn't such a requirement, why would the University of Wichita suddenly become Wichita State University the minute they joined the state board of regents on July 1, 1964? Also Washburn University is not a state-governed university, it is a municipal university that is supervised by the state. Just because it receives some state funds doesn't mean that the same rules apply to it that apply to state-governed universities.

Comment

Working...
                                X