2018 General NCAA Tournament Games Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Zubcut View Post
    This Marshall/WVU game is almost as embarrassing for us as it is for Marshall. The thing is, Marshall didn't even play that great to beat us. It's not like they were unconscious from 3 or anything. They shot 38%. Their defense is below average. Can you imagine how many turnovers we would have had against West Virginia? Willis may have had double figures in traveling calls by himself.
    I thought it was abundantly clear that we lost the game more than Marshall winning it. They weren't that good at all, we were just so awful.

Yes, we would've likely got lit up by WVU too.
    Deuces Valley.
    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by Zubcut View Post
      This Marshall/WVU game is almost as embarrassing for us as it is for Marshall. The thing is, Marshall didn't even play that great to beat us. It's not like they were unconscious from 3 or anything. They shot 38%. Their defense is below average. Can you imagine how many turnovers we would have had against West Virginia? Willis may have had double figures in traveling calls by himself.
      ugly display of baskeball by wichita state against the c-usa 4th place team. that team (wsu) was not a top-25 team. coach marshall show tomorrow night could be interesting.

Comment

• I know one thing. For all the complaining KSU fans (and really every one in this part of the basketball world really) do about KU getting all the calls...wow. They got every no-call to go their way in the final 6 minutes. Retrievers were out of gas, but there is no way that KSU really "deserved" to win that one either. Ugliest basketball game I've seen in a while...and I suffered through all of WSU/Marshall. LOL

Comment

• Rlh04d
          Rlh04d commented
          Editing a comment
          Anyone who actually thinks things are fixed in the tournament just needs to look at that game. KState isn't big enough to get that kind of help, and a Sweet 16 with the 16 seed Retrievers would have set the media on fire for a week. Those guys would have been on the cover of everything, using the Sweet #16 promo tag.

NCAA lost a lot of money not having them win that one.

• GreatWhiteBuffalo
          GreatWhiteBuffalo commented
          Editing a comment
          Not sure if you are in agreement or if you are insinuating that I think the NCAA games are fixed. I certainly don't think they are fixed. I DID see that K-State got all the kinds of beneficial whistles that their fan base loves to bemoan where KU is concerned.

I agree that UMBC to the Sweet 16 would have been unreal for publicity.

• Rlh04d
          Rlh04d commented
          Editing a comment
          No, not that you believe that at all. Quite a few people on here regularly make comments about games being "fixed" though and I think the UMBC/KSU officiating shows pretty clearly that bad officiating is independent of logic. UMBC in the S16 was clearly the best business outcome.

• No, games aren’t “fixed”, but the officiating I’ve witnessed in this tournament has been brutal. And when a string of brutal calls happens to go against one team, it can cost them the game. Officials have more impact in basketball than any other sport, I believe. Why do they seem so bad? Are they not paid enough? Surely the NCAA could use some of the billions of dollars they aren’t paying athletes to make sure refs are full time, well trained professionals.

Comment

• Originally posted by shock-it-to-me View Post
          No, games aren’t “fixed”, but the officiating I’ve witnessed in this tournament has been brutal. And when a string of brutal calls happens to go against one team, it can cost them the game. Officials have more impact in basketball than any other sport, I believe. Why do they seem so bad? Are they not paid enough? Surely the NCAA could use some of the billions of dollars they aren’t paying athletes to make sure refs are full time, well trained professionals.
          I think having full time refs would help but i'm not sure how much. I think basketball might be the hardest sport to call correctly.
          Its a good landing if you can walk away, its a great landing if the plane can be reused the next day.

Comment

• Originally posted by shock-it-to-me View Post
            No, games aren’t “fixed”, but the officiating I’ve witnessed in this tournament has been brutal. And when a string of brutal calls happens to go against one team, it can cost them the game. Officials have more impact in basketball than any other sport, I believe. Why do they seem so bad? Are they not paid enough? Surely the NCAA could use some of the billions of dollars they aren’t paying athletes to make sure refs are full time, well trained professionals.
            I think they assume and anticipate too much. I’ve seen play after play after play where it’s impossible to play defense. Sometimes I wonder whether players should just run away from the aggressive offensive guys because if you touch em straight up in perfect defensive position or sometimes don’t touch them at all, it’s a foul.

Oh and the replay system needs an overhaul. The amount of stoppages just kills the end of games. Absolutely brutal.
            Deuces Valley.
            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• shock-it-to-me
              shock-it-to-me commented
              Editing a comment
              100% agree with all of the above. Officiating is weighted on the side of the offense

• ShockTalk
              ShockTalk commented
              Editing a comment
              And that's the way the NCAA wants it, whether they say so or not. Most all rules changes are to have a faster pace, higher scoring game (more average fan enjoyment = more eyes watching).

• In a lot of ways, Marshall was the inverse of the games versus Kentucky. Instead of an Elite 8 or Final Four matchup in the Round of 32, it was a tense CUSA semifinal in the Round of 64, and I mean that with no disrespect to our guys. Marshall played the same type of game they played to advance as the 4th best team in their conference, and we matched that level of play and then dropped below it.

It wasn't like Marshall was banking in 3s or having superstar moments come from an NBA-level talent. If we faced Marshall in the regular season we'd feel bad if we didn't by double digits, and it showed in the West Virginia game. Most of our turnovers were terrible decisions, like throwing into a triple team, that we'd have made versus any team that day, and without spotting Marshall 20 odd points in the turnover difference it would have been an easy win.

Comment

• ShockTalk
              ShockTalk commented
              Editing a comment
              Are you saying it wasn't just our defense?!?!

Higher rate of TOs is somewhat common in our loses.

• Seemed like we played up or down to our competition all year. Rarely did we rise above it, and a few times we certainly dropped below it (OU, 2nd Houston and Marshall games come to mind).
            "Long wave the Yellow and the Black..."

Comment

• ShockTalk
              ShockTalk commented
              Editing a comment
              California first half, Arky St, and FGCU. Given Temple's conference record, maybe all 3 of those games, but I still think they were better than their record.

• I honestly think we all had aspirations of this team being a legit final 4 contender going into the year, and fact was...they weren't really that good. If this was 7 years ago, we all be thrilled and not feeling so let down. However - we kept waiting for them to turn it on and be the team we envisioned, when maybe that was incredibly unrealistic.

Comment

• FadedCrown
              FadedCrown commented
              Editing a comment
              I think if we actually returned the same team as last year, we would be a Final 4 contender. Chris Jans and Greg Heiar really what made this team go, and without them, you have a result like the season we just saw.

• ShockTalk
              ShockTalk commented
              Editing a comment
              Don't discount MM's injury and apparent post effect along with change of conference wearing everyone down more than previously.

Shamet, Reaves, Morris, and Kelly increased their minutes combined by about 28.
              Last edited by ShockTalk; March 20, 2018, 02:03 PM.

• Loyola looks pretty darn good. Particularly offensively.

Comment

• shock-it-to-me
              shock-it-to-me commented
              Editing a comment
              And I probably just jinxed them.

• Nevada following the same pattern again. I keep expecting them to run out of gas one of these games but they just keep running.
            Its a good landing if you can walk away, its a great landing if the plane can be reused the next day.

Comment

• Stop me if you've heard this before, but Nevada came back from a huge deficit and is making a run late in the game.
              "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

• This is gonna be a heck of a finish.

Comment

• Have you (anybody can answer) ever seen more layups in a D1 game than Loyola has made?

Comment

• Shocker85
                    Shocker85 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Agreed. It looked like a layup drill in the 2nd half. 13 FG in a row starting the half, and most were layups. They had something like 40 points in the paint.

• Ballgame Gryffindor!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X