WSU Versus Marshall NCAA Dance Predictions and Pregame Discussions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Everything you need to know about Friday's first-round games" - ESPN

Reigning champ North Carolina and trendy favorite Michigan State begin their tournament runs, while New Mexico State, Butler and Murray State look to become this year's Cinderellas.

No. 4 Wichita State vs. No. 13 Marshall
    1:30 p.m., TNT, East Region
    Player to watch: Wichita State seems to always be blessed with dynamite point guards, and thanks to Landry Shamet, this season is no different. Shamet comes into the tournament averaging 15 points and 5.1 assists.

Key stat: The Shockers get almost 32 points per game from their bench, the most of any tournament team. Wichita State's bench accounts for 38 percent of the scoring.

Upset factor: Not optimal. Under Gregg Marshall, Wichita State has won at least one game in each of its past five NCAA tournament appearances.

Comment

• "NCAA First Round Marshall vs. Wichita State:Preview and Prediction" - The Grueling Truth

By Mike Goodpaster
      Posted: March 16, 2018

East Region: No. 13 Marshall Thundering Herd (24-10) vs. No. 4 Wichita State Shockers (25-7)
      Not too long ago the Wichita State Shockers were a constant Cinderella team. Not anymore, Wichita State has built itself into a constant Sweet Sixteen threat. This year the Cinderella slipper is more suited for the Shockers opponents the Marshall Thundering Herd. Can the Herd pull off the upset?

How can the Herd pull the upset?
      The Thundering Herd attempted a staggering 963 3-pointers en route to the NCAA Tournament and caught fire at the C-USA Tournament. They connected on 43 percent of attempts in both the semifinal win over Southern Miss and the championship game defeat of Western Kentucky. If the Herd gets hot behind the three-point line they can beat anybody. Marshall has trouble shooting from inside the arc, so hitting threes will lead to easier inside looks, which infinitely improves the chances for the Herd pulling the upset. The Shockers have terrible defense against the three, as well, which makes this a very dangerous game for the Shockers.

How can the Shockers win?
      The Shockers are one of the best rebounding teams in the country, with Rashard Kelly, Darral Willis Jr., Shaq Morris, Landry Shamet and Markis McDuffie all contributing big-time inside on the boards. Make no mistake the Shockers are the better team, but their weakness is Marshall’s strength.

Prediction:
      Marshall has been on fire. Will that continue? I think it does and Jon Elmore will have a big game and Marshall will pull off a Shocker (no pun intended).

Marshall 83 Wichita State 81

Comment

• This will only happen if we repeat going 4-5 minutes a game without scoring.

Comment

• Kung Wu
          Kung Wu commented
          Editing a comment
          Truth.

• Stickboy46
          Stickboy46 commented
          Editing a comment
          At the pace Marshall plays .. that's like 15 possessions ...

• News Conference: Marshall, Murray St. Wichita St. West Virginia - Preview

Marshall University starts at 0:02:00

Wichita State starts at 1:32:00

Comment

• Don't want to see our bigs shooting the three. Marshall gave up 70 points in the paint to Western Kentucky. Shaq, Willis, and Rashard should be able to destroy this team. Won't be close.

Comment

• Originally posted by shocker43 View Post
            Don't want to see our bigs shooting the three. Marshall gave up 70 points in the paint to Western Kentucky. Shaq, Willis, and Rashard should be able to destroy this team. Won't be close.
            But to do that they will have to use "the worst shot in basketball".
            Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

But to do that they will have to use "the worst shot in basketball".
              I assume this is a slight directed at basketball analytics. Shaq dunking all over someone is definitely not the worst shot in basketball. I don't think anyone is asking Shaq, DW, and RK to start shooting a bunch of mid-range jumpers.

Comment

• DW, SM & RK all get double doubles

Comment

• Watch highlights, game recaps, and much more from the 2018 NCAA Division I Men’s Basketball Tournament on the official NCAA March Madness YouTube channel. Su...

Dan" D'Antoni, Marshall Thundering Herd men's basketball team at the NCAA Pre-game Presser: "..We play open style...you know we can be formidable, if you see our true game out there, KANSAS will have to play real well to get us, but they play real good too, but you never know whats going to happen"....

Comment

• Originally posted by jdshock View Post

I assume this is a slight directed at basketball analytics. Shaq dunking all over someone is definitely not the worst shot in basketball. I don't think anyone is asking Shaq, DW, and RK to start shooting a bunch of mid-range jumpers.
                    You must be old school.

Comment

• I didn't know squat about Dan D'Antoni until this match up. I like this guy a lot. What a great personality. I suspect he is a helluva coach too.

Comment

• Oh come on the suspense is killing me. I want the game to start already. We need to take care of business. If they shoot outside just like the jack rabbits then we should be good. Sure we will sweating bullets but our guys have been put in that situation several times already. I think they are ready. Marshall will probably get in foul trouble fast. Trying to stop our offense in the paint.

Comment

• The Shockers now favored by Vegas by 13 points over Marshall.

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-...ate/03-16-18#J

Comment

• I feel like the Marshall coach, players, and fans think they're the #4 seed.

I mean I guess that's a good mindset to have, but there is another team playing at 12:30 today. And they're ok.
                            Deuces Valley.
                            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by jdshock View Post

I guess you haven't been paying attention to Marshall coaching philosophies.
                              Deuces Valley.
                              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Working...
                              X