Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PG Malcolm Armstead (Transfer from Oregon)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wufan
    I actually LIKE this signing.
    Ditto!

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Armstead is a baller. He will fuel the offense for us when he becomes eligible. Coach Marshall's offense is at its best when he has players causing turnovers, getting into passing lanes, and has a PG that can control the game and get people the ball.

Malcolm does all these things well. Would have loved to have had him more than 1 year, but he will add valuable experience when we badly need it.

Comment

All year long I heard complaints about guard penetration against us.... Now Marshall picks up a defensive point guard for a year and I hear how bad his offensive stats were in the pac 10... :shock: I for one am happy with this pickup.

Comment

Its an OK pickup.....nothing that gets me too excited. It tells me we missed out on that 6' 8-9" back-up 4-5 we need this coming year. Agree that we may be to thin at that position to be better or even as good as last years team. I hope GS, Hall ,Jake W and EO prove me wrong again.

Comment

Since we don't know for sure about the specifics of his scholarship. Is it possible that he'd pay his way the year he sits out, pick his scholarship up in 12-13. That way we would have a shot at picking up Walker, as the last scholarship for 11-12?
            ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Overtime
              Its an OK pickup.....nothing that gets me too excited. It tells me we missed out on that 6' 8-9" back-up 4-5 we need this coming year. Agree that we may be to thin at that position to be better or even as good as last years team. I hope GS, Hall ,Jake W and EO prove me wrong again.
              If you haven't looked at the recruiting page in the last hour, looks like we still are going after Walker.
              In the fast lane

Comment

Here are some twits about Amrestead coming to WSU:

kevo408 Kevin Danna
                @ShockerHoops I agree I think Marshall will be able to get the best out of him. Armstead plays for 2 MVC coaches in 2 years in 2 conferences
                15 Jun Favorite Retweet Reply »
                kevo408 Kevin Danna
                @ @ShockerHoops Yeah he was such a beast in Kent's last year. Literally their only guy who could score consistently (including Porter).
                15 Jun Favorite Retweet Reply » kevo408 Kevin Danna
                @ @ShockerHoops Armstead is a great pick up. Athletic as hell and can take the ball to the hoop strong. He should have a lot of success in MVC
                15 Jun Favorite
                In the fast lane

Comment

Originally posted by tropicalshox
                  Here are some twits about Amrestead coming to WSU:

kevo408 Kevin Danna
                  @ShockerHoops I agree I think Marshall will be able to get the best out of him. Armstead plays for 2 MVC coaches in 2 years in 2 conferences
                  15 Jun Favorite Retweet Reply »
                  kevo408 Kevin Danna
                  @ @ShockerHoops Yeah he was such a beast in Kent's last year. Literally their only guy who could score consistently (including Porter).
                  15 Jun Favorite Retweet Reply » kevo408 Kevin Danna
                  @ @ShockerHoops Armstead is a great pick up. Athletic as hell and can take the ball to the hoop strong. He should have a lot of success in MVC
                  15 Jun Favorite
                  sounds to me like a defensive version of ragland. I think rags is at his best when hes taking the ball to the hoop. sounds like this guy is the same but plays a little more d

Comment

While I sympathize with those concerned about relying on transfers and JUCO players instead of 4 year guys, this move makes a lot of sense.

We are losing a ton of backcourt experience after this coming year, so the only upperclassmen we will have in the backcourt would have been DWill. Even if it is only for 1 year, I think taking some pressure off of our young guards to carry the load is a good thing.

Yes, our long term success will be based on how well guys in the 2011 and 2012 recruiting class develop and perform, but this move should help ease the transition between them and our current senior class.
                    "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Hatter
                      Originally posted by hoopsnut
                      Wow, what a knee to the grapes for Ron Baker. Sounded like Marshall had him convinced that the last scholarship was going to a post player and then he signs a guard and a Dana Altman leftover at that. I bet Baker is wondering how good Marshall's word is for getting a scholarship in '12-'13.
                      Did someone hit you over the head before you wrote this, because I really hope that you weren't in full possession of your senses when you thought that any of what you typed made any sense?
                      What part don't you like or agree with?
                      “Confrontation simply means meeting the truth head-on.”

Mike Krzyzewski

Comment

Wow, what a knee to the grapes for Ron Baker. Sounded like Marshall had him convinced that the last scholarship was going to a post player and then he signs a guard and a Dana Altman leftover at that. I bet Baker is wondering how good Marshall's word is for getting a scholarship in '12-'13.
                        Did someone hit you over the head before you wrote this, because I really hope that you weren't in full possession of your senses when you thought that any of what you typed made any sense?
                        I'm feeling some Deja Vu with this reply... :D

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
                        "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Um, all of it.

A. The fact that Baker mentioned a 6-8 recruit doesn't mean that Marshall telling him the scholarship was for a post player had anything to do with his decision.

B. There is no reason to assume that Marshall was lying. We know of multiple post players that WSU was in contact with and probably were holding that scholarship for, but they fell through. There is no reason to doubt that Marshall intended to use that scholarship on a 6-8, just that it didn't work out.

C. Since there is no reason to think Marshall was lying to Baker, there is no reason for Baker to doubt the scholarship offer.

D. Armstead isn't a threat to Baker's playing time since they will only have one year of overlap, so unless Baker believed that he would be getting huge minutes his redshirt freshman year, Armstead isn't competition for his future role on the team (unlike if the scholarship had gone to a high school guard).

E. Since we appear to still be pursuing Walker, we don't even know for sure what Armstead's scholarship situation is in the first place.

In sum, there is no reason for Armstead joining the team to have any impact upon Baker in the least.
                          "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Great pickup. 'Shockers are working towards a peak level under Marshall.

Comment

Liking this more every day.....now if we can just get Walker.

Comment

For some reason, I have a gut feeling that this player (MA) has been evaluated to the max and will be worth his weight in gold in 2012. Coach Marshall seems very selective with his point guard recruits. I'm glad he can learn our System for a year and be ready to walk in and compete with DWill. I have seen nothing official that he gets a ship this coming Season? Maybe there could still be this mystery 6'8" player yet to come? Dunno. As far as the link by WstateU, I must say--Yikes (yipes), stripes, beechnut gum.
                                Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

Working...
                                X