Koch Arena's Top Secret (until now) WiFi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WuFi View Post

Like, the whole company? Or they just gave up trying to make it work in Koch?
    Whole company. Ghandi.
    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

whoever named that company should be shot.. i thought it was uterus too.

Comment

I saw that the equipment was gone and wondered if anyone was talking about this. Searching for Ulterius and Koch brought me here, one of the few discussions I could find about this. Signed up just to post and see if anyone had info.

Do I smell like an alter ego? Need to change my cologne.

Comment

Wow. That's actually a thing that exists.

Unlike Ulterius I guess.

Comment

Why didn't Wichita State hire, "HUBRIS COMMUNICATIONS", isn't their tag line "Internet that works!"
            Last edited by WuShock Reaper; October 2, 2019, 06:02 PM.

Comment

i think that if i owned a company that had a contract for wifi in koch arena that i would spend every waking hour making it work and work effectively all the time (i understand industry-wide guidelines with downtime). i can't imagine imagine that it was a short-term contract.

Comment

Well, Ulterius gave it the ol' college try!

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock Reaper View Post
                  Why didn't Wichita State hire, "HUBRIS COMMUNICATIONS", isn't their tag line "Internet that works!"
                  Agreed! They used to do work for an old company I worked for. They did good work. I think I remember the owner's name is Chris. Great guy and Shocker fan I believe.

Comment

Hubris Communications is an Interrnet Service Provider (I think -- or a services company primarily anyway). Ulterius is a manufacturing company.

Ulterius didn't supply Internet, that's supplied by KanREN. I think all the universities in Kansas go through them, but could be wrong on that.

Ulterius just built wifi routers that were supposed to scale up to 1000's and 1000's of connections. I bet WSU let them test their devices at Koch (assuming it would work), instead of shelling out massive amounts of money for brand name equipment. The Internet service was not the problem. Connecting to the router was.

Experiment is over though, so now they need to go talk to the folks at Children's Mercy Park and find out how to do it the right way.

Comment

I saw that the equipment was gone and wondered if anyone was talking about this. Searching for Ulterius and Koch brought me here, one of the few discussions I could find about this. Signed up just to post and see if anyone had info.

Do I smell like an alter ego? Need to change my cologne.
                      spunky attitudes welcome anytime! Your cologne is just fine!! Welcome to SN.

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                        Hubris Communications is an Interrnet Service Provider (I think -- or a services company primarily anyway). Ulterius is a manufacturing company.

Ulterius didn't supply Internet, that's supplied by KanREN. I think all the universities in Kansas go through them, but could be wrong on that.

Ulterius just built wifi routers that were supposed to scale up to 1000's and 1000's of connections. I bet WSU let them test their devices at Koch (assuming it would work), instead of shelling out massive amounts of money for brand name equipment. The Internet service was not the problem. Connecting to the router was.

Experiment is over though, so now they need to go talk to the folks at Children's Mercy Park and find out how to do it the right way.

Kung Wu do you attend matches? had some issues with cmp’s wifi early in the season, but it was fixed quickly. i’ll have to ask my season ticket rep who they contract those services thru. surely wichita state could find some tech interns to do it for little to no cost.

Comment

Originally posted by abdullah_sharif View Post

Kung Wu do you attend matches? had some issues with cmp’s wifi early in the season, but it was fixed quickly. i’ll have to ask my season ticket rep who they contract those services thru. surely wichita state could find some tech interns to do it for little to no cost.
                          When CMP was Livestrong stadium they installed what was at the time one of the world's premier wifi setups for a sports complex. They had boasted of having enough capacity they every single seat in the entire stadium could be connected simultaneously -- which is a bit mind boggling actually. There were articles written about it at the time. I put it at almost zero chance that WSU would take on the expense of the equipment alone, let alone the labor costs to set that up. However -- costs have probably fallen DRAMATICALLY and tech has improved quite a bit since then, so the cost may be a fraction of what it was back then.

And yes, assuming the Cisco lab is still in operation and didn't die when Dr. Pendse left, there are several absolute experts walking around campus that could research, spec, and configure the equipment. But if history repeats itself, they will be ignored.

Comment

that's pretty cool Kung Wu .. i had no idea about the early wifi as i ignored it (had unlimited with sprint at the time).. My season ticket rep informed me that they upgraded again over this summer again.. i'd noticed that the up and down speed was much better.. and it doesn't surprise me about the resources that they put into it.. i can still stream video with no interruption at halftime in a sold out stadium.

i have no faith that wichita state will get it right. the free labor is there.. use it.

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

...there are several absolute experts walking around campus that could research, spec, and configure the equipment. But if history repeats itself, they will be ignored.

There are indeed experts there who have priced it out more than once over the years. The cost to do it correctly was too high. Ulterius said they could do it at a fraction of the cost. It seems that they could not.

Comment

Working...
                              X