Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Koch Arena's Top Secret (until now) WiFi

Folks,

Wichita State has quietly installed one of the most advanced WiFi technologies of any arena in the country (shout out to Ulterius Technologies). It is actually so bleeding edge that they have not advertised it, because the system still may need to "tuned" and they may have to work some potential bugs out.

Here is where you, my fellow Shockernetters, come in: They want you to try it out so they can collect data on performance and problem spots!

When you get to the game on Sunday:

1) On your mobile phone, turn your WiFi on.
    2) When it pops up with a list of available networks, select: KochArena_Wi5iG
    3) Open your phone's browser and go to shockernet.net
    4) Instead of Shockernet, it will go to a landing page with a login button -- click that.

From that point on you should be able to have extremely fast internet access.

For example,

1) You should be able to listen to Mike Kennedy's radio broadcast via WiFi:
    - Surf to it from here: http://goshockers.com/showcase?Live=2420 [someone correct me if this link is incorrect])
    - Or use tunein or iheartradio

2) If you have a cable service (or Hulu Live TV) that let's you log into CBS Sports Network, you should be able to watch the game on there while you are in the stadium! Can you say "replay"?
    - You can see CBS Sports live here: https://www.cbssports.com/live/

3) Wanting to keep your eye on another game on WatchESPN? If you have a WatchESPN login and associated cable service (or Hulu Live TV, or Playstation Vue, or Sling TV), you can watch it!

4) Or pull up Netflix to watch Hoosiers during the early timeouts!

Keep in mind:

1) This is considered a beta test at this point, so your connectivity and the result you get could vary from "awesome" to "didn't work at all".

2) If you connect to ANY network OTHER than KochArena_Wi5iG, you are NOT connected to the high speed internet connection and the result you get has NOTHING to do with this cutting edge WiFi access that I am describing. So don't waste your time trying to connect to any other network thinking it's all the same thing -- it's not.

PLEASE report back here with your results. If you have issues with it, report back in this thread. Can't connect? Let them know here. Speeds too slow? Let them know here. Worked fantastic? Let them know that too!

Also, feel free to share a link to this post on Facebook if you want to share the "how to" with your friends on Facebook.
    Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
    2) If you have a cable service (or Hulu Live TV) that let's you log into CBS Sports Network, you should be able to watch the game on there while you are in the stadium! Can you say "replay"?
    - You can see CBS Sports live here: https://www.cbssports.com/live/

I'm pretty sure the game is on the regular CBS channel.

Comment

• Kung Wu
      Kung Wu commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, probably so ... so what's the best way to watch it in the building?

• rjl
      rjl commented
      Editing a comment
      Youtube TV

Where has that been all season?

Comment

• Kung Wu
      Kung Wu commented
      Editing a comment
      Being installed.

interesting ,,, does that mean the people pixel app might actually work worth a damn lol
    From the road I listen (Tune In radio) at home I watch ( season Ticks )

Comment

• Kung Wu
      Kung Wu commented
      Editing a comment
      Probably!

I still find the WiFi in the arena slower than connecting via cell network. Data has been very poor. I watch the live stats during games and they don't keep up when I'm on the WiFi. Sometimes it even freezes or drops the connection.
    Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Comment

• Kung Wu
      Kung Wu commented
      Editing a comment
      Which network? It matters.

• Shocker85
      Shocker85 commented
      Editing a comment
      I have been specifically connectioning to KochArena_Wi5iG.

• Kung Wu
      Kung Wu commented
      Editing a comment
      Perfect. My understanding is that they have been tuning and upgrading capacity. Try it again and report back!

I've tried using the wifi for the last several games. I get connected and the signal is strong for a while. Maybe 10 minutes into the game I see where my phone is back on 4G and the wifi is useless from there on out. Why is that?

Comment

• Kung Wu
      Kung Wu commented
      Editing a comment
      Which network?

• Kung Wu
      Kung Wu commented
      Editing a comment
      I wont pretend to know, but if I had to guess they have had massive channel collisions and that's what they are tuning. I do know they have upgraded the throughput substantially in the last couple of days. Of its tuned it will rock, if not they will have to keep working it. Your attempts to connect and use it gives them the data they need to work out the kinks.

It has been hit and miss for me all season long up in row 33. Mostly hit. I’ll gladly take it though.

Now ehat about The Eck? I’ve had to stop going to games because of the lack of connection there.

Comment

• Kung Wu
      Kung Wu commented
      Editing a comment
      I can't imagine they will tackle Eck until they get this bleeding edge tech working at Koch first.

• Kung Wu
      Kung Wu commented
      Editing a comment
      I will ask though.

I'll be sure to stream some Netflix while the game is going on. I hope people keep it down so I don't miss any action on my shows ... :)

Comment

I just hope some fans will live stream their experience now. It'd be really great for some of us out of towners to be able to complain about the whistling guy, the empty student section, the people who stand too much, the people who don't stand enough, etc.

Comment

The network has either not worked or been dial-up speeds for me all season long.

Comment

Seeing as some people have already tried it and it was iffy, does this mean it might be ready for a real test since you're posting about it now, Kung Wu ?

Comment

• Kung Wu
            Kung Wu commented
            Editing a comment
            The inbound pipe has been substantially upgraded and I believe they have tuned the access points somewhat, so I will say "yes". However it may take more tuning to get it rockin'.

The only thing top secret about this wifi setup so far has been how to get it to work.

Comment

I’ll try it out Sunday and let you’ll know how the experience is!
            Shocker Alumni
            Shocker Club Soccer alumni
            Jayhawk fan but the Shockers come first

Comment

Is this one different from the "new" system they announced during the Volleyball season that has not worked well at all for me.

Comment

• Kung Wu
                Kung Wu commented
                Editing a comment
                Not other than it has been tweaked and upgraded. It's just a very bleeding edge system and they need more data in order to get it right.

Originally posted by AndShock View Post
              The network has either not worked or been dial-up speeds for me all season long.
              Yes, the pipe they made available was embarrassingly small for what they were trying to accomplish. They have more than tripled the size in the past week (but it is still a little questionable long term IMHO). It is also asymmetric, meaning the download speeds are vastly faster than uploads speeds. So while you should all be able to watch ESPN/Netflix/whatever (i.e. get streams TO your phone), live streaming a video feed FROM your phone will be questionable if too many people are doing it.
              Last edited by Kung Wu; March 2, 2018, 11:40 AM.
              Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

• Cdizzle
                Cdizzle commented
                Editing a comment
                They forgot to blow out the tubes, didn't they.
            Working...
            X