Havoc in the Heartland Series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Havoc in the Heartland Series

I wasn't sure where the best place to put this was. If the administrators think it needs to be elsewhere they can move it.

Not sure that the Havoc in the Heartland Series has gained much traction or interest yet and maybe it never will. Nevertheless, maybe some would be interested in a status report.

Prior to the Shockers Men's Tennis match at Tulsa last night Tulsa held a 15-12 advantage in the point system. WSU has six points from Volleyball, six points from Men's Basketball. Tulsa has 12 points from men's and women's cross country and three points from women's basketball.

My understanding is that in Men's Tennis the 6 points go to the team finishing higher in the AAC Championship unless they play head to head during the season. With WSU picking up a 4-3 win in Tulsa last night over the Hurricane the Shocks are now leading 18-15 in the series if I understand this correctly.

Up next in the Series are 3 points each in Men's and Women's Indoor Track & Field at the AAC Indoor Championships this Friday and Saturday (Feb 23 - 24) and 3 points at the final regular season Women's Basketball Game in Tulsa on Monday (Feb 26). My guess is they will split the track points with the Shocker Men finisher higher than Tulsa in the AAC Championships and the Tulsa women finishing higher than the Shocks in the AAC Championships. The WBB game on Monday could go either way.

At that point 24 points will remain to be determined as follows:

6 Points - Women's Tennis at Tulsa on March 17: Tulsa usually good. Shocks are pretty good this year. Should be very competitive.

6 Points (2 For Each Game) - Women's Softball - 3 Game Series in Wichita Aprill 6 - 8: Tulsa picked to win the AAC. Shocks picked 5th. Tulsa will be favored.

6 Points - Women's Golf - Higher Finish at the AAC Championship April 15-17: Tulsa finished 4th last year. Lost 1 Sr. who lead Tulsa in stroke average. Not sure at all here. Shocks have Taryn Torgerson but not sure the supporting cast is deep enough.

3 Points - Men's Outdoor T&F - Higher Finish at the AAC Championship May 11 - 13: Shocks are looking pretty strong this year if they stay healthy.

3 Points - Women's Outdoor T&F - Higher Finish at the AAC Championship May 11 - 13: Shocks are rebuilding in a major way this year.

Sports that are not part of the series:

On the men's side Tulsa has Football and Soccer but do not play Baseball or Golf.

On the women's side Tulsa has Soccer and Rowing.

There are 66 total points in the series. Tiebreaker is the NCAA Graduation Success Rate.

At this point I probably have to give the edge to Tulsa this year. If we had our Women's T&F team of last year that would be different but the Shocker women lost a ton of talent to graduation and have decided to rebuild in a major way as they are redshirting around 26 athletes including some of our top athletes.

Just as with the Valley's All-Sports Award Track & Field/XC carry a significant importance accounting for 24 of the 66 total points.
    Last edited by 1972Shocker; February 20, 2018, 02:01 PM.

Thanks for the breakdown!

Is there a link to some sort of chart showing how all the schools compare?
    Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

• pogo
      pogo commented
      Editing a comment
      nm

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

Not that I am aware of although I am not sure exactly what kind of comparison you are looking for.

Comment

• Kung Wu
      Kung Wu commented
      Editing a comment
      So I was thinking a list of the relevant sports, points available, points earned, etc.

Where are you getting all of your data from?

• pogo
      pogo commented
      Editing a comment
      The inter web

• Kung Wu
      Kung Wu commented
      Editing a comment
      Mama won't let me on it!

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

I was going mostly from articles about the series. GoShockers.com mentioned Tulsa was leading 15-12 in an article leading up to the men's tennis match with Tulsa yesterday evening. So I thought I would take a look at.

However, I did just run across the following "chart" on GoShockers.com (The link to this is under Fan Central)

http://goshockers.com/sports/2017/10...heartland.aspx

I would like to see them put a column on the chart showing the running score. I will send an e-mail to the AD's office with that suggestion.

I did have to make a correction to my initial post. Men's & Women's Track & Field do not get 6 points each for the Indoor and Outdoor Championships. They get 3 points each. Overal Track & Field/XC account for 24 of the 66 points.

A couple of notes on the linked Havoc chart:

On the results schedule they don't list the 3-game softball series. The do list the AAC Men;s Golf Championship. However, Tulsa does not play golf. They also list the AAC Men's and Women's Tennis Tournaments but those poitns will already be decided in head-to-head matches.
    Last edited by 1972Shocker; February 20, 2018, 02:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

I was going mostly from articles about the series. GoShockers.com mentioned Tulsa was leading 15-12 in an article leading up to the men's tennis match with Tulsa yesterday evening. So I thought I would take a look at.
      Oh crap, I thought this was referring to the conference all sports trophy! I thought you were highlighting Tulsa because they were winning it. LMAO!

Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

Kung Wu
        #3.3
        Kung Wu commented
        1 hour ago

Mama won't let me on it!

Comment

So Tulsa and the Shocks split the Track and Field points as anticipated although it was much closer with the women's track and field than I anticipated (both teams with weak teams this year).

The Lady Shocks women's basketball team picked up 3 points with a win in Tulsa last night.

That puts the score at Wichita State 24 - Tulsa 18 with Women's Tennis, Women's Golf, Softball and Outdoor Track & Field to contest.

My opinion is that the dual tennis match between WSU and Tulsa on Saturday March 17th in Tulsa will probably determine who will win this year's series. In the latest rankings Tulsa is ranked #29 in the nation and the Shocks are #30. That should be a really good match.
          Last edited by 1972Shocker; February 27, 2018, 12:48 PM.

Comment

So what is the going rate to bribe a linesman? Just asking for a friend.:)

Comment

• wufan
              wufan commented
              Editing a comment
              Probably pretty high since collegiate tennis lines are called by your opponent.

The Lady Shockers Tennis team did not play well at Tulsa on March 17 and lost 7-0. Tulsa picked up 6 Havoc points for that win and moved into a 24-24 tie in the 2017-18 challenge.

The softball team seemingly had a series win at their fingertips at home last weelend but gave up 3 runs in the 7th inning and Tulsa won that game 3-2 and took the series 2-1. Tulsa picked uip 4 Havoc points to 2 for the Shocks and now lead the challenge 28-26.

Women's golf is coming up at the AAC Championship beginning this Sunday in Florida. Whoever finishes higher gets 6 points. Wichita State just played in Tulsa in a tournament hosted by Tulsa last weekend at the Tulsa Country Club. Tulsa finished 7th out of 13 teams, 10 strokes ahead of the Shocks who finished in 8th place.

If Tulsa picks up these 6 points they will clinch this year's Havoc trophy.

If the Shocks can win these points the will be up by 4 with the Men's and Women's AAQC Outdoor T&F Championships each worth 3 points. I like the Shockers chances of winning the Men's points in T&F which combined with the win in Women's golf would give them the trophy.
            Last edited by 1972Shocker; April 12, 2018, 11:23 PM.

Comment

• Cdizzle
              Cdizzle commented
              Editing a comment
              So, Women's golf is worth 6 points. Men's T&F is worth 3 points. Am I missing something? Do we get to vote to put more points on the sports we're good at next year? Thanks for the update though, 1972Shocker. Your attention to all things Shocker Athletics is impressive.

With all due respect this "trophy" or "competition" seems a little hokey. Does anyone really care? I mean are they going to tout this achievement to potential recruits?

Comment

Only track and field recruits.
              "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

I might be out of the loop or naive... But what does this thread have to do with Wichita State basketball?

Comment

• ShockdaWorld
                  ShockdaWorld commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It encompasses all sports that both schools compete in, so would fit pretty much any of the sports forums at different times throughout the year.

With apologies to choida the Lady Shockers finished a solid 5th in the AAC women's golf championship today and beat Tulsa by 25 strokes in the process to secure the 6 Havoc points for doing so.

That pushes the Shocks back into the Havoc lead at 32-28 with only men's and women's outdoor track and field remaining each worth 3 points. The Shocks just need to finish ahead of Tulsa in one of these two events to take home the inaugural Havoc trophy. I like our chances on the men's side.

If the moderators believe this thread should be moved elsewhere I have absolutely no objections to that.

Comment

A President doesn't need to apologise to a graduate.

Comment

• 1972Shocker
                    1972Shocker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I should apologize to everyone for be coming a President based soley on quantity of posting. Sort of like President Trump and his tweeting.

• shock
                    shock commented
                    Editing a comment
                    But, sort of like President Trump and his tweeting, still effective.

• Kung Wu
                    Kung Wu commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Not based on quantity. Clearly on quality.

At the AAC Outdoor Track & Field Champioships today Tulsa's women edged the Lady Shocks 49 to 45.5 to earn 3 Havoc points but the Shocker men easily outscored the Tulsa men 130-78 to earn those 3 Havoc points which according to my calculations and understanding (which I do not guarantee) makes the final 2017-18 tally 35-31 in favor of the Shocks and if that is accurate the Shocks have captured the inaugural Havoc in the Heartland Trophy.

WuShock Reaper and I have exchanged a couple of thoughts on how this competition is scored and we both think it could use some tweaking. For example, Cross Country based on one race at the AAC Championships is worth 6 points for each the men and women compared to say 6 points each allocated to the men and women in the Indooor and Oudtdoor Track and Field Championships combined. We both thought that XC is overweighted in value.

Not sure if this challenge will create any signifcant fan interest between the 2 schools whch is what I assume it is supposed to do. My guess it will not but if they are going to keep it they need to tweak and refine it IMO.

Now this thread can fade way into the archives.
                  Last edited by 1972Shocker; May 13, 2018, 09:48 PM.

Comment

• pogo
                    pogo commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Anytime I can read that we beat Tulsa it gives me a warm a fuzzy. Fade into the archives? Maybe until its revived nest year. Thank you for keeping track of ALL of the sports for us.
                Working...
                X