• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WstateU
    commented on 's reply

• BostonWu
    replied
    From the day this "competition/award/trophy" (or whatever it is) was announced I felt it was hokey and artificially conceived to conjure up an old rivalry. (No offense to the old geezers) but the rivalry is just no longer and this hokey competition isn't going to do a damn thing to change that.

Leave a comment:

• Rocky Mountain Shock
    commented on 's reply
    Good point. The lack of head-to-head match ups offer fewer opportunities for rivalries to develop.

• pogo
    replied
    Anytime Wichita can spank Tulsa it is a good thing. That was some spankin this year

Leave a comment:

• 1972Shocker
    replied
    Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post
    Until Tulsa starts being more competitive in the bigger sports, this won't be a thing most people pay any attention to.
    Maybe if Wichita State had football and Tulsa had baseball it would be a bigger deal.

Because Tulsa has football their lineup of sports is somewhat different than WSU probably attributable to Title 9 considerations.

Sports Tulsa sponsors that WSU does not include football, men's soccer, women's rowing and women's soccer.

WSU sponsors baseball and men's golf which Tulsa does not have.

Leave a comment:

• Rocky Mountain Shock
    replied
    Until Tulsa starts being more competitive in the bigger sports, this won't be a thing most people pay any attention to.

Leave a comment:

• 1972Shocker
    replied
    Always glad when the Shockers win anything. If your gonna keep score you want to win. But, seriously, is there some plan to make this more than just an idea that hasn't caught on and is not particularly promoted or publicized. Does it serve a purpose or is this just something the 2 AD's can bet a steak dinner over? I assume it was intended to try to revive the historical rivalry with Tulsa although that was mostly a men's basketball thing. As far as I can tell it is of very little to no value in generating fan interest and I have not detected it is that big of a deal to the athletes either to this point.
    Last edited by 1972Shocker; May 14, 2019, 05:33 PM.

Leave a comment:

• WuShock Reaper
    replied
    Wichita State 2019 FINAL TALLIES "Havoc in the Heartland" series with Tulsa

:good:

2019-20 Event Team Points Results September 27, 2019 Volleyball at Tulsa...

2019 Results:
    Wichita State = 44
    Tulsa = 22

2018 Results:
    Wichita State = 35
    Tulsa = 31

Leave a comment:

• 1972Shocker
    commented on 's reply
    Your memory is accurate. Frank Haith along with AD Derrick Gregg and head football coach Phillip Montgomery all took pay cuts.

• wufan
    replied
    Originally posted by TheShocktocles View Post
    Well Wufan I guess it depends on what news site you believe. According to info on the Tulsa site BrandonRachel and Keshawn Embry Simpson where 4 star recruits out of high school. Rachel went to LSU and pearl juco before picking Tulsa. Simpson is an Arkansas transfer. The big man is a 3 star from a juco. His video is impressive. He is athletic.

That game we played at Koch this year was a tough game. The shocks pulled it out but Tulsa choked at the free throw line. In my opinion TU seems to be getting better talent. Hope we don't take them for granted even though we have recently dominated the series. Go shocks.
    Fair enough. Embry-Simpson was not listed on 247 just as Teddy Allen isn’t listed for the Shockers. Thanks for the info.

Leave a comment:

• Stickboy46
    replied
    Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
    Tulsa is reportedly between a rock and a hard place financially in all institutional facets, so it’s possible they might have some rough years ahead. It’s a tiny school trying to support “major” D1 sports. Not 100% they are long-term sustainable.

All that to say for all intents and purposes we should have no problem being the stronger overall athletic department.
    I believe I read that they asked Haith to take a paycut

Leave a comment:

• Wuzee
    replied
    Originally posted by Shox The Revenant View Post

We also beat them at their place by 19. I don't know how they'll be next season, they'll probably be the same. They bring back 5 of their top 7 players in terms of minutes but replacing Jeffries will be tough.
    As of April 19, they'll bring back 4 of their top 7. Curran Scott, who averaged 10pts a game in conference play, has left the program.

Leave a comment:

• Shox The Revenant
    replied
    Originally posted by TheShocktocles View Post
    Well Wufan I guess it depends on what news site you believe. According to info on the Tulsa site BrandonRachel and Keshawn Embry Simpson where 4 star recruits out of high school. Rachel went to LSU and pearl juco before picking Tulsa. Simpson is an Arkansas transfer. The big man is a 3 star from a juco. His video is impressive. He is athletic.

That game we played at Koch this year was a tough game. The shocks pulled it out but Tulsa choked at the free throw line. In my opinion TU seems to be getting better talent. Hope we don't take them for granted even though we have recently dominated the series. Go shocks.
    We also beat them at their place by 19. I don't know how they'll be next season, they'll probably be the same. They bring back 5 of their top 7 players in terms of minutes but replacing Jeffries will be tough.

Leave a comment:

• TheShocktocles
    replied

Leave a comment:

• SHOCKvalue
    replied
    Tulsa is reportedly between a rock and a hard place financially in all institutional facets, so it’s possible they might have some rough years ahead. It’s a tiny school trying to support “major” D1 sports. Not 100% they are long-term sustainable.

All that to say for all intents and purposes we should have no problem being the stronger overall athletic department.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X