Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which players are playing over/below your expectations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gregg Marshall

Comment

Below...all. (Maybe Austin and Rashard exception) Including the coaching staff.

Comment

I don’t want to say I know more than a $3.5 million coach but I would welcome a highlight reel for “defensive stopper” Zach Brown. I could definitely make a gag reel of him getting blown by 5+ times a game. Some players don’t have the lateral speed to guard quick guards. It happens. That’s fine. It’s not his fault. But for the love of God if you’re gonna stick someone out there with no lateral quickness at least have that someone be a player with a single shred of offensive talent.

Comment

• Jamar Howard 4 President
          Jamar Howard 4 President commented
          Editing a comment
          Zach only played 16 minutes last night (in an OT game). I can't complain too much about that.

• AndShock
          AndShock commented
          Editing a comment
          Playing him in the last 30 seconds might have been costly.

• shock
          shock commented
          Editing a comment
          I feel like beating Kelly Oubre to the ball was the pinnacle of his defensive efforts and he is having a hard time adjusting to stopping better players night in and night out.

Originally posted by AndShock View Post
        I don’t want to say I know more than a $3.5 million coach but I would welcome a highlight reel for “defensive stopper” Zach Brown. I could definitely make a gag reel of him getting blown by 5+ times a game. Some players don’t have the lateral speed to guard quick guards. It happens. That’s fine. It’s not his fault. But for the love of God if you’re gonna stick someone out there with no lateral quickness at least have that someone be a player with a single shred of offensive talent.
        This.

But it won't change.
        Deuces Valley.
        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

I am not blaming the players. This latest loss was 100% on HCGM. He is stuck in a past era of basketball. The game evolves quickly and he hasn’t figured it out.

Comment

Posted in wrong thread

Comment

Below:

1. Gregg Marshall. Missing in Action. We've assumed it was the players who weren't buying in, but I'm starting to feel Gregg has been at his worst this season. This team is unprepared. Soft. Everything a 3G team is normally not. We don't impose on anyone. We don't knock anyone's d**k in the dirt. We get hit and look for mommy. Everyone has the green light. Our execution is terrible. We rely on our lowest percentage options in must win situations. Gregg saves time outs like they are a pension plan. I'm completely twisted up on his job thus far. Oh and guess what? We haven't beaten anyone. Again.

2. Zach Brown. No explanation needed. CJ prob gives this guy 30 regularly in practice and no doubt numerous managers would wax his a** in horse.

3. SHJ. Expected a better version of Smith. Can anyone explain why we signed this guy and sent DS packing to make room?

4. Connor. He's been good at times, but as of late he's been a net minus. All in all it may be a good thing as AR is taking his minutes and Austin's ceiling is much higher.

5. Landry. Kentucky was the peak. He talks like a tough guy on Snapchat and twitter, but meh. We know what they say about tough talkers. Young man, put this f****** team on your back and be the leader we need.

6. CJ. Meh.

As expected:

1. Rauno. Some games not a factor, but if we are to turn this ship around and sail towards our target he will play a big role at least once in March.

2. Willis. Can be really good. Can also get you beat. BBIQ is lacking. Needs role defined.

Above:

1. Austin. Kid is more skilled offensively than anyone on this team. Also has highest BBIQ. Not a great one on one defender. Fortunately for him, no one else on this team is either.

2. Shaq. Best option offensively nearly everytime we play a team with a pulse. Should be our play through guy late in close games. Also a very good rim protector. He's struggled in PNR defense but that goes on the coaches. How absurd does it now sound to switch him onto Trey Young? Umm we did it. How about Shake Milton. Yea nice gameplan. That should only happen with < 5 seconds on the shot or game clock or if the screener is defended by MM or RK.

3. Kelly. I was critical of RK last season, but he's stepped up and is maybe the only player on the team who understands what his role is. I think this version of RK can help a team win a national title. But not as a 20-25 minute guy. Fact is as long as he's good enough to start we aren't a f4 team. If we are to reach our ceiling, he plays 15-18 minutes a game. Not because he's playing worse, but because others have to play better.

No opinion:

1. Am

Jury Still out:

1. MM. Dear Mr. McDuffie, we need you. You're passion is a difference maker. Without your soul we're a pretty soft bunch. We need you to make us feel tougher than we really are. Please come back soon.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

This.

But it won't change.
                Why? Are we throwing games??

Comment

I wanted to be reactionary and say "everyone is underperforming" but that isn't really true. Kelly and Reaves have done a bang-up job, Shaq, Willis, and Nurger have met expectations (except the occasional high TO game). I don't know if Keyser and Samajae had expectations they've failed to meet; the lineup was always going to shorten and it was probably going to be at the guard spots.

The problem is that for this team to be really, really good it needed Shamet and McDuffie to be as well. And it needed Zach Brown to be Tekele Cotton, and Conner Frankamp to be Conner Frankamp from January 2017 to March 2017. The 5 above can do their jobs, but to really go over the top we need consistent star power scoring threats from Shamet and McDuffie, we need to have Shamet and Conner shoot over 50% from 3 like the did to close last year, and we needed our SFs to be true defensive stoppers.

Maybe Brown and McDuffie are still struggling to come back from injuries. Maybe Shamet and Frankamp are just slumping. But whatever it is, the team needs them to overcome it.

Comment

At this point, Reaves is the only guy who looks like he can score when he wants to. Shaq can and will get his points. After that? Ew.

Comment

Above: Departed assistants
                      Below: Current staff

Comment

Originally posted by CBB_Fan View Post
                        I wanted to be reactionary and say "everyone is underperforming" but that isn't really true. Kelly and Reaves have done a bang-up job, Shaq, Willis, and Nurger have met expectations (except the occasional high TO game). I don't know if Keyser and Samajae had expectations they've failed to meet; the lineup was always going to shorten and it was probably going to be at the guard spots.

The problem is that for this team to be really, really good it needed Shamet and McDuffie to be as well. And it needed Zach Brown to be Tekele Cotton, and Conner Frankamp to be Conner Frankamp from January 2017 to March 2017. The 5 above can do their jobs, but to really go over the top we need consistent star power scoring threats from Shamet and McDuffie, we need to have Shamet and Conner shoot over 50% from 3 like the did to close last year, and we needed our SFs to be true defensive stoppers.

Maybe Brown and McDuffie are still struggling to come back from injuries. Maybe Shamet and Frankamp are just slumping. But whatever it is, the team needs them to overcome it.
                        McDuffie had a good line last night: 11 points, 8 rebounds, 5 assists, 2 turnovers and zero fouls, blocks or steals. He could have shot better than 3-7, 1-3 and 4-4, but still you guys are a tough crowd to please.

Try this -- guess which player each of these stat lines on a per 40 minute basis for the season apply to. These are the players that have averaged 15 or more minutes per game that they've appeared in. Only one of these has not participated in at least 20 games. I have removed games and minutes played just to make it challenging :
                        Player 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
                        FG% 0.559 0.538 0.511 0.491 0.49 0.451 0.418 0.41 0.405
                        2P% 0.581 0.592 0.553 0.543 0.563 0.506 0.652 0.485 0.457
                        3P% 0.438 0.364 0.333 0.468 0.439 0 0.321 0.364 0.321
                        FT% 0.705 0.759 0.651 0.87 0.817 0.6 0.762 1 0.741
                        TRB 8.7 9.3 12.8 7 4 13.2 6.9 3.3 8.9
                        AST▼ 2.2 1 1.9 4.3 6.9 4.3 3.5 3.8 2.7
                        STL 0.7 0.5 0.3 1.2 0.9 1.2 1.1 1.1 1.2
                        BLK 3.1 1.2 1.1 0.6 0.2 0.9 0.5 0.3 0.4
                        TOV 2.6 1.5 3.6 2.1 2.8 2.4 2.2 0.6 3.3
                        PF 4.7 4.5 3.9 2.8 2.5 2.6 4.7 2 2.5
                        PTS 24.2 15.1 23.3 15.2 18.8 9.4 9 17.2 17.2
                        "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                        ---------------------------------------
                        Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                        "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                        "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Originally posted by im4wsu View Post

McDuffie had a good line last night: 11 points, 8 rebounds, 5 assists, 2 turnovers and zero fouls, blocks or steals. He could have shot better than 3-7, 1-3 and 4-4, but still you guys are a tough crowd to please.

Try this -- guess which player each of these stat lines on a per 40 minute basis for the season apply to. These are the players that have averaged 15 or more minutes per game that they've appeared in. Only one of these has not participated in at least 20 games. I have removed games and minutes played just to make it challenging :
                          Player 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
                          FG% 0.559 0.538 0.511 0.491 0.49 0.451 0.418 0.41 0.405
                          2P% 0.581 0.592 0.553 0.543 0.563 0.506 0.652 0.485 0.457
                          3P% 0.438 0.364 0.333 0.468 0.439 0 0.321 0.364 0.321
                          FT% 0.705 0.759 0.651 0.87 0.817 0.6 0.762 1 0.741
                          TRB 8.7 9.3 12.8 7 4 13.2 6.9 3.3 8.9
                          AST▼ 2.2 1 1.9 4.3 6.9 4.3 3.5 3.8 2.7
                          STL 0.7 0.5 0.3 1.2 0.9 1.2 1.1 1.1 1.2
                          BLK 3.1 1.2 1.1 0.6 0.2 0.9 0.5 0.3 0.4
                          TOV 2.6 1.5 3.6 2.1 2.8 2.4 2.2 0.6 3.3
                          PF 4.7 4.5 3.9 2.8 2.5 2.6 4.7 2 2.5
                          PTS 24.2 15.1 23.3 15.2 18.8 9.4 9 17.2 17.2
                          1 - SM
                          2 - RN
                          3 - DW
                          4 - AR
                          5 - LS
                          6 - RK
                          7 - ZB
                          8 - CF
                          9 - MM

Comment

Originally posted by im4wsu View Post

At a guess, Shaq/Nurger/Willis/Reaves/Landry/Kelly/Brown/Conner/McDuffie.

The problem is not that McDuffie hasn't been a solid player. The problem is that we needed more than, possibly substantially more than that. We didn't need McDuffie from last year (which hasn't happened yet), we needed the new and improved 3rd year model. So far McDuffie is shooting worse from the field, worse from 3, worse from the line, and averaging more TOs in fewer minutes. The numbers aren't terrible by themselves, but part of the reason we came into the season ranked so high is the expectation that our players would improve.

Comment

Shamet flat out can't guard one on one. He also has Cleanthony Early disease and has abandoned his drive threat that made his 3's open so often. He seems to have all the tools. But they aren't often on display. Is he maybe not 100% physically?
                              Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

Working...
                              X