Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which players are playing over/below your expectations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CBB_Fan View Post

At a guess, Shaq/Nurger/Willis/Reaves/Landry/Kelly/Brown/Conner/McDuffie.

The problem is not that McDuffie hasn't been a solid player. The problem is that we needed more than, possibly substantially more than that. We didn't need McDuffie from last year (which hasn't happened yet), we needed the new and improved 3rd year model. So far McDuffie is shooting worse from the field, worse from 3, worse from the line, and averaging more TOs in fewer minutes. The numbers aren't terrible by themselves, but part of the reason we came into the season ranked so high is the expectation that our players would improve.
    I, too, would like to see the "improved 3rd year model", however, we all probably knew that wasn't as likely due to his injury. He missed not only 11 games and 2 exhibition, but a lot of valuable practice time. You could tell in the first few games, he was not physically up to speed.

He's only 1 made shot from 3 at matching his last year % and take out the first 2 games and his 3% exceeds last year. Similar for his FG%, but probably needs an additional made shot from 2. His .741 FT% isn't at all bad, but you're right it's not over .800 like last year, but it isn't just over .700 like his freshman year either. Allowing for the less time played, his rebounds and assists match last year's number. He's not that far off and right now, we need and can use that "2nd year model".

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

I, too, would like to see the "improved 3rd year model", however, we all probably knew that wasn't as likely due to his injury. He missed not only 11 games and 2 exhibition, but a lot of valuable practice time. You could tell in the first few games, he was not physically up to speed.

He's only 1 made shot from 3 at matching his last year % and take out the first 2 games and his 3% exceeds last year. Similar for his FG%, but probably needs an additional made shot from 2. His .741 FT% isn't at all bad, but you're right it's not over .800 like last year, but it isn't just over .700 like his freshman year either. Allowing for the less time played, his rebounds and assists match last year's number. He's not that far off and right now, we need and can use that "2nd year model".
      I think the biggest difference and change I can think that would help this team, is more Markis at the 4. That's where he primarily played last year, and I think that opens things up quite a bit on offense, and helps with our pick and roll defense.

Comment

• ShockTalk
        ShockTalk commented
        Editing a comment
        Agree.

Didn't know where to put this and it's not worthy of a thread, but as of today, WSU is one of only six teams to have three players in KenPom's top 100 Offensive rating:
      Rank Player Team Yr ORtg Usage
      23 Gary Trent Duke Fr 129.5 17.1
      51 Wendell Carter Duke Fr 127.2 22.8
      78 Grayson Allen Duke Sr 124.6 19.3
      5 PJ Thompson Purdue Sr 137.2 12.2
      27 Dakota Mathias Purdue Sr 129.3 18.4
      100 Isaac Haas Purdue Sr 123.3 27.3
      29 Calvin Hermanson Saint Mary's Sr 129.1 15.3
      42 Jock Landale Saint Mary's Sr 128 30.8
      80 Tanner Krebs Saint Mary's So 124.3 13.2
      34 Vladimir Brodziansky TCU Sr 128.4 21.6
      46 Kouat Noi TCU So 127.4 18
      69 Jaylen Fisher TCU So 125.1 21.5
      4 Jalen Brunson Villanova Jr 137.7 25.3
      31 Phil Booth Villanova Jr 128.7 18.2
      41 Mikal Bridges Villanova Jr 128 22.1
      50 Austin Reaves Wichita St. So 127.2 15.8
      61 Landry Shamet Wichita St. So 126 21.1
      73 Conner Frankamp Wichita St. Sr 124.9 17.4
      "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
      ---------------------------------------
      Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
      "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
      "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

McDuff with a bailout foul with 3 on the shot clock, then a charge on offense.

Boooooooo. Such a disappointment this year.

Comment

• ShockdaWorld
          ShockdaWorld commented
          Editing a comment
          I keep thinking the next game will be the one where he finally gets his groove back and the game slows down for him. Hasn’t happened yet. I’m still hoping.
      Working...
      X