No announcement yet.

The Slow Death of Gameday Atmosphere at CKA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let’s face it the WSU AD is not very concerned about customer service or fan experience. All they want is $$$

AND it’s been that way for years.
    Last edited by Shocker-maniac; January 22, 2018, 02:57 PM.
    ShockerNet is a rat infested cess pool.

Comment

• 1972Shocker
      1972Shocker commented
      Editing a comment
      Which unfortunately is an argument to expect more of the same. WSU has never been flush with funds in excess of needs and with the move to the AAC the financial pressures are increasing, not diminishing. No reason to think that the $$$ situation won't continue to be priority #1 for a long, long time.

• Shocker-maniac
      Shocker-maniac commented
      Editing a comment
      Also, when it’s the hottest ticket in town there is little incentive to do things differently.

• 1972Shocker
      1972Shocker commented
      Editing a comment
      Which brings us to the other co-#1 priority. Putting an entertaining and competitive team on the court. Start cosnsistently putting NIT quality (or worse) teams on the floor and the $$$ situation will only get worse. And if that happens it won't really matter what they do about the ancillary non-game fan experiences.

The monster has been created and now it has to be fed.

• Originally posted by Shocker-maniac View Post
    Let’s face it the WSU AD is not very concerned about customer service or fan experience. All they want is $$$

AND it’s been that way for years.
    Gotta pay for this shiny new conference and HCGM 3million a year salary some how.
    Hows my post? send me feedback at 1-800-f$%k-off

Comment

• I'm waiting for the Tulsa game on Sunday to see if they do the Hurricane Sports Grill promo.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockCrazy View Post
        I mean the atmosphere hasn't been good, but I have noticed the AD trying the last couple games. One thing I'd like to say though is it all starts in one place... The student section. Our student section sucks. It's such a low energy and low enthusiasm student section. Maybe I have rose tinted glasses from my time there but to me it seems like it has deteriorated over the last decade. Rarely do I notice cheers or chants coming from the student section. And I'd like to note that I've been to 3 road games this year, OSU, Tulsa and UConn and I think all of them had better student sections and that's even with UConn being over break at the XL Center.
        I think the problem is student tickets are general admission tickets. I get really pissed as a student when I see non students (middle aged adults/older folks) sitting in the F'in student section! Especially when they get p!ssed about not being able to see when they're sitting down. I've had older folks ask me to sit down because they couldn't see and didn't want to stand. WSU athletic department needs to make a specific section where students ONLY can stand. If you go to a Jayhawks, Duke, and UNC game you'll never see anything but students in the student section. I'd like to know why its not like that at Wichita State? Makes no sense to me!
        Shocker Alumni
        Shocker Club Soccer alumni
        Jayhawk fan but the Shockers come first

Comment

• WuShock16
          WuShock16 commented
          Editing a comment
          Along with what ShockCrazy says below, another reason could be that some of those non-students actually are students. Not all certainly but certainly some. It is getting better, but WSU still probably has a portion of commuter students/non-traditional students.

• Originally posted by WichitaHawk View Post

I think the problem is student tickets are general admission tickets. I get really pissed as a student when I see non students (middle aged adults/older folks) sitting in the F'in student section! Especially when they get p!ssed about not being able to see when they're sitting down. I've had older folks ask me to sit down because they couldn't see and didn't want to stand. WSU athletic department needs to make a specific section where students ONLY can stand. If you go to a Jayhawks, Duke, and UNC game you'll never see anything but students in the student section. I'd like to know why its not like that at Wichita State? Makes no sense to me!
        That is the STUDENT section. The reason there are others there is because the students haven't filled the student section for the past few years. The tickets have only gone GA because students don't claim all the seats. So it's better a non-student than an empty seat. So you wanna complain about older people in the student section the blame lies with the students who don't show.

Comment

• ShockTalk
          ShockTalk commented
          Editing a comment
          Oops. (This comment happens a lot lately)

• 1972Shocker
          1972Shocker commented
          Editing a comment
          However, everyone one knows where the students sit and if you score tiickets in those sections you really should realize that you may be standing for a good part of the game. When in Rome you are going to have to do what the Romans do.
          Last edited by 1972Shocker; January 22, 2018, 04:16 PM.

• ShockCrazy
          ShockCrazy commented
          Editing a comment
          Heck as an addendum I want to say the AD has done a good job this year of making sure the student section is at least full of people. Last year's student section was a joke. I'd say at least 5 or 6 games it was about half full at best.

• if you put your pocket knife in your shoe you'll make it right through the metal detectors.

Comment

• Also include that there were a s÷#^ton of empty seats for SMU. Why wouldn't you go to promos when you can't sell tickets.

Comment

• Stickboy46
            Stickboy46 commented
            Editing a comment
            GA tickets were sold out for SMU. It's a case of people picking them up and not using them (probably trying for resale)

• Shaqness
            Shaqness commented
            Editing a comment
            Oh. Still tho.

• Stickboy46
            Stickboy46 commented
            Editing a comment
            Well the point is .. that's on the "fans" then. No promos would have helped.

• Even when the Houston arena got semi-loud, those fans were not going to stand for anything. Their assistant coaches were standing on chairs trying to get the crowd to stand up and get engaged, but everyone just kept sitting.

Comment

• WuShock16
            WuShock16 commented
            Editing a comment
            It was a good thing. That arena has an issue with people standing right in front of the TV cameras. It appeared to be due to a poor angle for the camera. With the exception of the very beginning and very end, that was never an issue, but it would have been really annoying if it had been an issue. Fortunately, it will be a one-year thing with Houston and that the renovated arena should be more friendly with TV angles.

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
          I'm waiting for the Tulsa game on Sunday to see if they do the Hurricane Sports Grill promo.
          Me too! I have been talking about that all year. That place is Tulsa right down to the Polka dot flag. I'm betting the game planners are oblivious.

Edit: If they play it the crowd should boo loudly.

Comment

• ShockTalk
            ShockTalk commented
            Editing a comment
            I thought about that too, but the crowd would probably oblivious as well. Guess we can take credit if they don't have that promo. Ha!

• What is WSU’s income % once new media contract is made? NCAA Valley $ is gone and it will be a few years for AAC tourney money. Boatright needs to watch the budget.

Comment

• “Also, when it’s the hottest ticket in town there is little incentive to do things differently.”

Maybe not so much. I’ve had tix for the UCF game on Stubhub for about a week (at or below the suggested price) and they’re still there. Discussion of not changing up things (or the adding seats issue) seem crazy to me when tix go for such low prices.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShauXTyme View Post
              “Also, when it’s the hottest ticket in town there is little incentive to do things differently.”

Maybe not so much. I’ve had tix for the UCF game on Stubhub for about a week (at or below the suggested price) and they’re still there. Discussion of not changing up things (or the adding seats issue) seem crazy to me when tix go for such low prices.
              It’s still the hottest ticket in town. What else is there? Thunder Hockey?

ShockerNet is a rat infested cess pool.

Comment

• ShockdaWorld
                ShockdaWorld commented
                Editing a comment
                As sad as it sounds, Thunder Hockey does a better job of keeping their tiny crowd excited than WSU does keeping their full house excited when it comes to the non game stuff.

• Blatantly obvious they’ve been reading this board.

Comment

• AndShock
                AndShock commented
                Editing a comment
                They did a great job tonight. The crowd wasn’t ever really into it due to the nature of the game but the people putting on the show did as good as they could be expected to do.

• SHOCKvalue
                SHOCKvalue commented
                Editing a comment
                Well, they’ve started to get the same message on this issue from multiple angles - former players, media members, school newspaper, Facebook, Twitter, Internet forums, etc, so thank goodness at least one of those channels was important enough to take note of, whichever one that was.

It was certainly improved. Long ways from there yet, but better.

• I was LMFAO when Enter Sandman came blasting over the loudspeakers.
              Deuces Valley.
              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Shocktoberfest
                Shocktoberfest commented
                Editing a comment
                Gonna nitpik. If you're gonna blast Metallica, let the band play first then blast it. Holy crap. In row 24 my freaking ears were bleeding. I could barely hear the band after Enter Sandman. But really, I don't mean to complain cuz it was a nice improvement.

• Originally posted by Jamar Howard 4 President View Post
              Blatantly obvious they’ve been reading this board.
              I still waiting to see what they do with the Hurricane Bar and Grill promo next game.

Comment

Working...
              X