The Slow Death of Gameday Atmosphere at CKA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Slow Death of Gameday Atmosphere at CKA

It really is sad what has become of the CKA atmosphere. It bears no resemblance to the CKA of (say) a decade ago, and the responsibility for that change falls squarely on the athletic department.

For ****’s sake the resolutions are simple:

- Don Hall needs to go. Guy doesn’t understand the vocal differences required between PA-ing a sporting event and recording a TV advertisement for cremation services.

- On the other hand, does it really matter who’s running the mic when I can’t even make out what he’s saying because the volume is so low? Good grief... turn up the damn speaker volume! Why is this not obvious, and why is it so low in the first place? I can barely make out the music in this year’s (awful and terrible... another conversation for another day) intro video. I can hold an office voice level conversation with my neighbor over the PA system during intro/pump up videos. That shouldn’t be.

- And obviously the timeout promos are absolutely killing... and I mean destroying... the proud history of CKA atmosphere. Last night we killed the energy of a CF three at the end of the game so we could wish someone a happy birthday and run the kiss cam. I mean, are you serious? Are those even revenue generating for freak's sake?

- Oh... and I almost forgot about the new security staff at the medal detectors barking orders to the patrons as if we’re all hopping off of train cars at the Dachau concentration camp. You’d think someone would explain to them the significance of using the phrases “please ma’am/sir”, “thank you ma’am/sir”, and adjusting voice inflection from a boot camp instructor. These clowns then standing at the arena bowl exits near/at the end of games, staring everyone down like we’re some sort of bodily threat, is a sweet bonus too. For what purpose is this? Is the crowd - who on average are fairly advanced in age - going to bum rush the court at the end of every game? When has this even happened in the first place at CKA. Asinine!

I don’t know about anyone else, but the athletic department has done so much to obliterate the atmosphere at CKA that I no longer have the excitement to attend games. It is THAT bad (at least from my perspective). We’re in a fantastic new conference, Top 10 team, F4 aspirations, and due to the putrid experience of what CKA has become I’m to the point where I’d be just as content to watch from home (with a much fatter wallet). With the ever-increasing financial pain that comes from season tickets, I’m seriously considering dropping them after this year. Really. It’s just not what it used to be.

But yeah... pretty sure I’m done stroking a fat four-figure check every year to the athletic department for what this experience has devolved to.

I agree with you about the atmosphere. I haven't had the luxury to go to games much anymore since I moved cities a couple years ago, but it has always been a problem. We need to finally organize a movement of some kind. Get everyone to write letters about this explaining to those people in the Athletic Department. Luckily Zach Bush has been raising hell on Twitter about it after almost every home game now too. Let's get everyone who agrees to write to Boatright about this, and use some of the points you illustrated. And while I'd love to have your season tickets, it's worth mentioning to him that you're thinking about not renewing next year. Or lowing your donation. Kick em where it actually hurts: right in their budget.

Comment

I definitely feel for you and all of the other season ticket holders that have a lot of skin in the game. I have only been able to make it back for a few games the past few years and it's definitely a noticeable change from the past. The Illinois State game was probably the rowdiest one I've been to in a while, while the others tea time.

It's painful when we cause teams to call time outs and the energy is sucked out with a stupid promo. I know it's not intentional, but it feels like sabotage. Home court advantage should be their #1 priority.

I hope they get this fixed before it does result in season ticket holders staying home.

Comment

This isn’t just a WSU problem this a problem many campuses across the country are seeing. College Basketball fans have changed over the last decade. Blame millennials, smart phones, short attention spans or all of the above but several core fanbases have noticed the change. Now our gameday production doesn’t help but we’re not alone in this dimensioned home court advantage of a ruckus crowd.
        If you're not going to go all the way, why go?

Comment

I mean the atmosphere hasn't been good, but I have noticed the AD trying the last couple games. One thing I'd like to say though is it all starts in one place... The student section. Our student section sucks. It's such a low energy and low enthusiasm student section. Maybe I have rose tinted glasses from my time there but to me it seems like it has deteriorated over the last decade. Rarely do I notice cheers or chants coming from the student section. And I'd like to note that I've been to 3 road games this year, OSU, Tulsa and UConn and I think all of them had better student sections and that's even with UConn being over break at the XL Center.

Comment

I ran sound at Levitt back in the late 80s while a student, so there is one possibility with why the volume is so low. I believe they run sound from right behind press row just like I did, and that was back in my time an abnormally loud spot. Thankfully I was working for WSU Audio Productions (who were contracted to run sound at HLA) and my predecessor not only told me it was a loud zone, he demonstrated it. He had me go to several different spots, both high and low, around the circle while he played recorded music at one level. The difference in volume is dramatic depending upon where you are. So what seems about right to that person running sound is woefully low in many areas in the arena.

Audio Productions has not run sound for years, it is done by an athletic department staffer, with likely no or minimal training in PA and sound reinforcement systems. I agree, where I sit in row 29 of 120, the level is WAY too low. I want to FEEL the sound.
            Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

• Kung Wu
              Kung Wu commented
              Editing a comment
              Plus the liquid courage in your flask might have helped you turn it up an extra notch or two.

The light thing during introductions keeps people from clapping. Silly gimmick.

Comment

Amen SHOCKvalue

Comment

Totally in agreement about the asinine promotions sucking the life out of the atmosphere . They even have cut the band's participation to near zero in last night's game. Jay Story's FOC or Ashley furniture has even made their promotion un-winnable by only giving the contestant "ONE FLIPPIN' BALL'" to shoot with. THEN we are supposed to be really excited to cheer for a two dollar t-shirt which are thrown into the first 4 rows. RISE UP Shocker Nation and let's make CKA arena competitive in the fan experience again.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockCrazy View Post
                  I mean the atmosphere hasn't been good, but I have noticed the AD trying the last couple games. One thing I'd like to say though is it all starts in one place... The student section. Our student section sucks. It's such a low energy and low enthusiasm student section. Maybe I have rose tinted glasses from my time there but to me it seems like it has deteriorated over the last decade. Rarely do I notice cheers or chants coming from the student section. And I'd like to note that I've been to 3 road games this year, OSU, Tulsa and UConn and I think all of them had better student sections and that's even with UConn being over break at the XL Center.
                  We need to show the student section some videos of San Diego St. and Grand Canyon U's student sections.

Last edited by WheatShock; January 18, 2018, 11:49 AM.
                  Its a good landing if you can walk away, its a great landing if the plane can be reused the next day.

Comment

• Walker
                    Walker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I watched the NMSU game at GCU. All I can say is wow. How does GCU do it?

• WheatShock
                    WheatShock commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I think GCU set out to create the very best game day atmosphere possible. Since they were a brand new program that was their strategy to get butts in seats and it has worked well for that purpose as well as giving them a strong home court advantage.

I believe having a strong student section requires desire and effort working together on the part of the students AND the athletic dept. If one side half asses it the product will be sub par.

The worst promo for making both crowd and participant feel as if they’re being cheated is the Opti-Life half court shot with the push up. The prize (that has never been won, IIRC) is even hilarious - oh joy... a one year membership for something a student already gets through his/her student fees!

Can’t imagine how much the athletic department is getting from a one-location gym start-up for that energy killer. Anyone who thinks these promos are drawing big coin is fooling themselves.

Comment

How about everyone get on Twitter and express your views to Mr. Boatright. @DBoatright25
                    I totally agree with this thread - the in-game production is a complete debacle!

Comment

All the stuff about game day production and crowd quality have some truth. But the bigger problem is really the lack of ability for this team really being capable of playing lockdown defense.

This year team doesn't have the ability to actually steal the ball, so you are not seeing the "atomic bomb" turnover which beside great offensive play like hitting a 3pt or a slam is what get the crowd going. If you do have the crowd going, then WSU inability to guard one-on-one means somebody on the opposing team makes a play and the crowd momentum is shut down before it ever get started.

WSU is ranked 326 in steal % in Kenpom.

I have looked at this relative to opponent quality compared to last year - it is not opponent quality issue, WSU is down this year against all types of quality of opponent. This team lacks the ability to turn teams over.

MM coming back has helped some with increasing turnover, but with his limited playing minutes and the fact he has been a turnover machine.....

Comment

SHOCKvalue that may be the post of the New Year. Is there a detailed accounting somewhere of how much these promos actually make the athletic department?

Comment

Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
                          The worst promo for making both crowd and participant feel as if they’re being cheated is the Opti-Life half court shot with the push up. The prize (that has never been won, IIRC) is even hilarious - oh joy... a one year membership for something a student already gets through his/her student fees!

Can’t imagine how much the athletic department is getting from a one-location gym start-up for that energy killer. Anyone who thinks these promos are drawing big coin is fooling themselves.
                          Originally posted by MTXEShox View Post
                          Totally in agreement about the asinine promotions sucking the life out of the atmosphere . They even have cut the band's participation to near zero in last night's game. Jay Story's FOC or Ashley furniture has even made their promotion un-winnable by only giving the contestant "ONE FLIPPIN' BALL'" to shoot with. THEN we are supposed to be really excited to cheer for a two dollar t-shirt which are thrown into the first 4 rows. RISE UP Shocker Nation and let's make CKA arena competitive in the fan experience again.
                          This and this. The promos aren’t worth watching and now they make it impossible for you to win. The one ball thing and the push-up thing is just laughable.

I swear a decade ago a half court shot yielded somebody $10k one time. And then of course we’ve had 2 year car leases given away.

But a one yea gym membership for making a half court shot WHILE getting worn down with pushups in between misses? LMFAO. You can’t make this **** up.
                          Deuces Valley.
                          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Working...
                          X