No announcement yet.

Just stay home...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well put, jazz. There were some groans, but there were not boos (except for the usual ones at refs).

Silly subject, really. It (boos) didn't happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Maggie
      However, MB, Mekel, PJ, Durley, Ellis and, yes, even Griskenas are pretty good shooters. I do not think it is likely that everyone of them will have an off night like they did on Friday, again.
      I too would have said this earlier in the season, but now there is already a precedent this season for this type of poor shooting performance. In the Monmouth game, we were 2-17 from 3 as a team. In the Baylor game we were 6-23 from 3 as a team. And in the UTA game, we were 4-29 from 3 as a team.

It is easy as a fan to say "I don't think we'll shoot that poorly again", but we have already shot that poorly many games this season, and we are only 8 games in. All I'm looking at is past performances, and I see a trend of poor 3-point shooting in one game, followed by decent shooting in the next game, etc. Under Coach Marshall's system, they are going to keep jacking up threes all year. Some games we will win because of it, when we get hot, but some games we will lose because of it. We just don't have any proven, consistent 3-point shooters. We have shooters who get hot one night and get cold the next.

Comment

I'm not sure if it matters or not, but the threes we took in the UTA game were more open and within the flow of the offense that the threes we took at Baylor or Monmouth. Many of those were forced, off balance, or at the end of the shot clock.

My point? To the extent I have one, I think we'll shoot better from the perimeter for the rest of the season, so long as we take open threes in the flow of the offense. I think that is what happened against UTA. Unfortunately, we were cold.
        Wear your seatbelt.

Comment

We could get cold again. We don't have the greatest shooters in the world on this team. Braeuer was never someone who took many shots so even though he has been very good this year he isn't proven over time. The only proven outside shooter we had was Ogirri. This isn't exactly the kind of team that you want to live or die by the 3-bomb with.

Hopefully Braeuer continues to shoot well and Durley becomes even more effective as the year goes on. We also need Gal to be more consistent from beyond the arc and continue to speed up his release.

SIU-C is licking its chops in anticipation of us trying to get off uncontested threes all game long. That won't happen...

It better go like this against SIU-C.

#1 PJ drive

#2 PJ dish to JT

#3 repeat #1 and #2

T

...8)

Comment

Originally posted by WuShockFan
            Originally posted by Maggie
            However, MB, Mekel, PJ, Durley, Ellis and, yes, even Griskenas are pretty good shooters. I do not think it is likely that everyone of them will have an off night like they did on Friday, again.
            I too would have said this earlier in the season, but now there is already a precedent this season for this type of poor shooting performance. In the Monmouth game, we were 2-17 from 3 as a team. In the Baylor game we were 6-23 from 3 as a team. And in the UTA game, we were 4-29 from 3 as a team.

It is easy as a fan to say "I don't think we'll shoot that poorly again", but we have already shot that poorly many games this season, and we are only 8 games in. All I'm looking at is past performances, and I see a trend of poor 3-point shooting in one game, followed by decent shooting in the next game, etc. Under Coach Marshall's system, they are going to keep jacking up threes all year. Some games we will win because of it, when we get hot, but some games we will lose because of it. We just don't have any proven, consistent 3-point shooters. We have shooters who get hot one night and get cold the next.
            I understand what you are saying and you are correct – WSU does not have a consistent 3 point shooter. I didn't listen to or watch the Monmouth or Baylor game – so I cannot compare those to what happened against UTA. But raw stats don't always tell the entire story.

I see the same pattern that you do. Will they have off shooting nights? Sure. But the opponents defense will have a lot to do with that too. I do not think it is likely that they will miss wide-open shots as often as they did against UTA. They are not great shooters, but they are better then their UTA performance. If they are that bad, that streaky – then it will be a long season.

I understand that Marshall wants these kids to take the first good shot – that will not always be a three.

P.S. It is now very clear why CGM signed so many guards for next year.

Comment

I agree with Marshall though. I'd rather the team take open threes than contested twos.
              Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker
              Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
              ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
              Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
              Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Absolutely.

Comment

I am loving the fact that some people are saying that there were absolutely no boos and then there are people saying there were boos.... and then people saying I am a complete idiot for thinking I heard boos.....kind of funny. the point of the topic I guess was we are all there to SUPPORT the team. Believe me I was as annoyed as everyone that the guys kept shooting 3s, but I'll be damned if I will ever boo them. Some people heard boos, some people didnt. Nobody can speak for the oh....9500? in attendance, I just thought it was very low of our fans who did boo the team, even if it was just the one kid behind me in the student section it was very classless.

In response to an earlier post, the student section is by far less educated in basketball than previous years and I do believe a lot of them are there just to be there, but there are still a few of us that know the game and show up every game....damn few.
                  -Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind-

GO SHOX!

Comment

I was toward the top but I heard groans and no boos too.

Comment

Originally posted by shockmonster
                      I was toward the top but I heard groans and no boos too.
                      The boos came from the ghosts of Henry Levitt Arena. Former fans who have passed from this world... many of them from the decade of the 90's. They boo to remind us to stop the bitching and moaning and appreciate what we have.
                      :D
                      "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

If you wanna get on the fans about something, what's with the stopping clapping at the beginning of the game and second half? It seems anytime WSU misses a shot, the ball goes out of bounds, or whatever, everyone stops clapping. I remember back in the Cohen years when all 4000 of us (actual attendance) who were there would sometimes clap through the first TV timeout because WSU hadn't scored yet, and we didn't take a break or stop for anything. Now sometimes I feel like I'm the only one clapping?!? Anyone else feel that way?

Comment

Originally posted by jazztrane
                          If you wanna get on the fans about something, what's with the stopping clapping at the beginning of the game and second half? It seems anytime WSU misses a shot, the ball goes out of bounds, or whatever, everyone stops clapping. I remember back in the Cohen years when all 4000 of us (actual attendance) who were there would sometimes clap through the first TV timeout because WSU hadn't scored yet, and we didn't take a break or stop for anything. Now sometimes I feel like I'm the only one clapping?!? Anyone else feel that way?
                          I hear ya there Jazz. I think the "laziness" about clapping seemed to start around the beginning of the Smithson Regime (MTXE2). I think I could have gotten carple tunnel at very young age from all the time spent clapping for those teams. I for one am glad what we have now is light years better than what we once had.

:goshocks:

Comment

Actually, the first Smithson team started out something like 11 and 2. If you want true ineptitude, take a look at the two coaches before.
                            Wear your seatbelt.

Comment

Not talking about the teams or coaches there. I was refering to how the crowd stopped clapping when the ball was out of play. I don't remember that ever being the case before Randy's tenure.

Comment

Ahhhh! Gotcha. I seem to remember some sort of ritual with Thompson, but I have kind of tried to put that period out of my mind...
                                Wear your seatbelt.

Comment

Working...
                                X