Wichita State vs USF Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

I started this, so let's do get some facts. I didn't say starters, I said the players who had scored all but 7 of USF's points (also happened to be the top 5 scorers for the game).

Collins is not exactly a reserve freshman either. He missed (I assume to injury) 5 straight games and only played 8 in his first game back. Other than that, in the other 12 games, he has played 22-28 minutes in 5 games, 15-19 in four, with less than 10 minutes in 2 of his first 3 games as a freshman on this team. Given that they "start" 2 seniors, Collins is most likely a big part of their future, although Xavier Castaneda may have something to say about that next year. They also have 2 more freshmen guards on the bench that never saw the floor. Those are the reserve freshmen that probably could have used valuable minutes against WSU's walk-on guards.

You are absolutely right, it is a coach's decision.
    I guess I don’t understand your point. You sound like you’re being critical but I’m not sure if you are criticizing AM or GM or just feeling apologetic to the other team for bad fortunes.

Comment

• I may have missed discussion on this, but I haven’t seen anyone mention the frozen pose of 3G following Willis’ air all three at the south basket. He didn’t move until well after the entire team was at the north end. It was classic
      "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
      ---------------------------------------
      Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
      "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
      "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• Originally posted by im4wsu View Post
        I may have missed discussion on this, but I haven’t seen anyone mention the frozen pose of 3G following Willis’ air all three at the south basket. He didn’t move until well after the entire team was at the north end. It was classic
        Lol - wish I would've seen that.
        FINAL FOURS:
        1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
        1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
        Number of Times Ranked: 157
        Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
        Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
        Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
        #3 - Dec. 2017
        #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
        #2 ~ March 2014
        Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

I started this, so let's do get some facts. I didn't say starters, I said the players who had scored all but 7 of USF's points (also happened to be the top 5 scorers for the game).

Collins is not exactly a reserve freshman either. He missed (I assume to injury) 5 straight games and only played 8 in his first game back. Other than that, in the other 12 games, he has played 22-28 minutes in 5 games, 15-19 in four, with less than 10 minutes in 2 of his first 3 games as a freshman on this team. Given that they "start" 2 seniors, Collins is most likely a big part of their future, although Xavier Castaneda may have something to say about that next year. They also have 2 more freshmen guards on the bench that never saw the floor. Those are the reserve freshmen that probably could have used valuable minutes against WSU's walk-on guards.

You are absolutely right, it is a coach's decision.
          OK. I'll make my final point and leave it alone. I just didn't understand why some were so offended that Gregory had some starters in at garbage time against our walk-ons (and McDuffie). So offended that one was actually "happy" that a freshman got destroyed by Midtgaard's pick. Happy?!?! The way I looked at it, he's got an outmanned team getting anihilated on the road against a top 10 team on national TV in front of a huge, raucous crowd. I figured Gregory was trying to limit the damage as much as he could for the sake of his players going forward. He's worried about coaching his own team and I can't blame him for that. It's not his job to care that Barney and Bush, etc may have more trouble getting their garbage time points. The guy's in his first year there, coaching his ass off trying to keep the margin under 50.
          Last edited by Zubcut; January 9, 2018, 11:25 PM.

Comment

• Totally unrelated, but to anyone that attended the game on Sunday— did you hear how loud the music at the beginning of the cheerleaders halftime routine was? It was deafening, if only for a few seconds...

Why can’t we pump up the music that load for the intro? I had some out-of-towners that asked if a speaker was broken during the introductions.

Comment

• Stickboy46
              Stickboy46 commented
              Editing a comment
              I literally turned to my friend and said the same thing. Why can't we have the music that loud for pre-game music.

• Originally posted by WichitaStateGuy View Post
            Totally unrelated, but to anyone that attended the game on Sunday— did you hear how loud the music at the beginning of the cheerleaders halftime routine was? It was deafening, if only for a few seconds...

Why can’t we pump up the music that load for the intro? I had some out-of-towners that asked if a speaker was broken during the introductions.
            It was so loud it ruptured my hearing aids; anyone interested in a class action lawsuit?

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• pogo
              pogo commented
              Editing a comment
              On these commercials I can never figure out which one has the biggest load of bull. Someone please help me out.

• Until Rauno missed a layup with 2:24 remaining in the first half, WSU had seven players perfect from the field, Willis (4), Keyser (1), SHJ (2), Brown (3), Kelly (2), McDuffie(3) and Nurger (2). The seven finished the first half 17 of 18. Only two of those started the game. So the "reserves" were 12 of 13!
            "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:

Comment

I may have missed discussion on this, but I haven’t seen anyone mention the frozen pose of 3G following Willis’ air all three at the south basket. He didn’t move until well after the entire team was at the north end. It was classic
              The announcers said they thought it might have been tipped. I don't think it was, but did anybody see a replay to know for sure?

Comment

• Originally posted by 1979Shocker View Post

The announcers said they thought it might have been tipped. I don't think it was, but did anybody see a replay to know for sure?

It sure didn’t look like anybody got the ball to me. He may have been bumped or his arm hit, though. I didn’t look for that, but he didn’t look to complain

Comment

It sure didn’t look like anybody got the ball to me. He may have been bumped or his arm hit, though. I didn’t look for that, but he didn’t look to complain
                  That shot was like 3 feet short.. Willis isn't a great 3 point shooter... But I don't see any way he misses that bad unless it was tipped or his arm was hit

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

That shot was like 3 feet short.. Willis isn't a great 3 point shooter... But I don't see any way he misses that bad unless it was tipped or his arm was hit
                    im4wsu sits very close to me, but I thought it was tipped. May have been wishful thinking.

Not counting that shot (if tipped), Willis is 9-25 or .360 from 3. That's normally considered a descent %. However, on this team so far, CF at .392 isn't very good. We've got 6 guys over 40%. Amazing.

Comment

Working...
                    X