No announcement yet.

Official #8 Wichita State vs UCONN Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ACKL does the scout. Interesting. I’m pretty sure some negative Nancy on here was convinced Isaac was the only coach and the rest are just recruiters.
    People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• My Shocks are Road Warriors!!!!
      Rip em up, Tear em up, Give em HELL Shockers!

Comment

• Good road win. UCONN has nice pieces, but they don't play particularly great basketball.

Landry was not good with the ball, but great without it. His release is salty.

I thought our defense was much improved.

Put turnovers and freethrows in a normal range and this is a blowout for us.

Hoping to see a reinvigorated Shaq soon.
        Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

• Was just watching the game again (link below). Just count the number of passes U Conn makes compared to Wichita in say the last 10 minutes. No wonder they have offense issues.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

• Now that Villanova tripped over Butler's three-point barrage today, don't the Shocks now lead the nation in consecutive true road wins with 9? Of course, leading the nation with a streak of just 9 is also an indication that, as some on here like to say, road games are hard (not to mention that lots of prominent teams also don't give themselves very many chances for road streaks, because they don't play true road games unless their conference schedule requires it).

Comment

• we get uconn again in koch. i wouldn't count them out. another scrap.

next up: houston

Comment

• Originally posted by asiseeit View Post
                Hard to find any fault with RN when he only played two minutes. I thought he would have lit them
                up inside had he played 15-18 minutes. Had a big assist when we really needed a lift. He was
                helping out when one of their drivers was attacking the basket so either the driver was going to
                score or the one that dunked. I think he would have been more effective down low than DW today.
                Regardless I think GM coached a good game. Probably played SJ when he shouldn't have and
                MM a little too much as he was 0-6 until the final two bunnies made his stats look a little better. I
                thought the team played the final six minutes really well on both ends of the court.
                Rauno plays terrible perimeter defense against bigs
                ​​​that can hit threes. He's too quick to drop off his man to play helper on someone else's man. He killed us in the Oklahoma game, and was starting to do that in this game. Benching him was the right move. If he figures this out, his playing time will increase.
                Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

• Don't want to get into a big argument but RN's defense has been very valuable to us this season
                  and past. He is not flashy but he has been pretty damned solid. I refer you to quite a few post
                  season games against quality big teams/big men where his defense was quite good. He has
                  been quite valuable offensively, as well. Best shooting % on the team, blocks out very well, sets
                  good screens, and is a three point threat from up top all around to the corners. He is a damned
                  good all around player. As for being to quick to drop off that is complete nonsense and he is no
                  worse than any of our other bigs. MM got his minutes yesterday and IMHO it hurt us as MM was
                  ineffective and DW started looking like the old DW who gets lost defensively once in a while himself.
                  Bottom line - RN is FAR to valuable not to be getting a minimum of 10-15 minutes a game. Just my
                  opinion.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ixiah View Post
                    Was just watching the game again (link below). Just count the number of passes U Conn makes compared to Wichita in say the last 10 minutes. No wonder they have offense issues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UW_ifm-gO4Q
                    That was commented on REPEATEDLY on the UConn board.

Not a whole lot of interesting comments over there and they're well into their "fire Ollie" meltdown, so there was no meltdown over this game. Among the more interesting comments:

Guard the WHITE GUYS! (repeated many times).

I thought you said white guys couldn't play

They can play, they just can't jump.

(At halftime) Someone call Pitino. Not to coach. We just need his connections for a hit man to take out #12.
                    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Rlh04d
                      Rlh04d commented
                      Editing a comment
                      The last comment is beautiful.

• Shocker Mama
                      Shocker Mama commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I guess that's one benefit to the no-name jerseys -- they could only ID our guys by number or race. And Conner's hair.

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post

That was commented on REPEATEDLY on the UConn board.

Not a whole lot of interesting comments over there and they're well into their "fire Ollie" meltdown, so there was no meltdown over this game. Among the more interesting comments:

Guard the WHITE GUYS! (repeated many times).

I thought you said white guys couldn't play

They can play, they just can't jump.

(At halftime) Someone call Pitino. Not to coach. We justr need his connections for a hit man to take out #12.
                    Halarious!

My portfolio has a lot of #12’s stock and I keep buying.

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• All wins are great but road wins are really great!
                      I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

• RN is fine in one on one post defense but put him in a ball screen situation wich is pretty much all Uconn does and he is by far the worst of our big men. He is too slow to recover back to his man which leads to open 3's. With MM back I would bet his minutes continue to trend downward as they should.

Comment

• sorry, but you just are not making any sense. RN is responsible for weak perimeter D ?

Comment

• Cdizzle
                            Cdizzle commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Absolutely. Slow rotation back to the post means a wing has to rotate to the lane to help, leaving wide open shooters. It killed us for a 4-5 game stretch. Not just Rauno, but I would agree he was the worst at it.

• asiseeit
                            asiseeit commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I understand the "slow rotation to the LANE" but don't understand how that
                            translates to weak three point shooting defense and I think SM is every bit as slow
                            getting back to cover the basket as Rauno. I've stated before that I wish both
                            would back off a couple steps and not leave the rim unprotected. I don't think it is
                            the wings responsibility to sag and defend against a center

• 12eagle
                            12eagle commented
                            Editing a comment
                            By being a step slow recovering from his hedge on the guard the weak side defender must stay in the lane protecting the basket from the screener a half second longer which means the close out to the open shooter is slower. See OU game. If the big man is a shooter and pops off the screen RN struggles to get off his hedge and back to his man see South Dakota st game. shaq has struggled some but is still the better of the two. The guards could help by not dying on every screen and we're better against Uconn. If the big sags back in the lane in would leave them very vulnerable to a pick and pop big man and or a guard with a pull up jumper or floater. Every ball screen is different depending on personal involved with it. If you watch we will flat out switch if it involves Kelly and probably will with mcduffie especially late in the clock. This has worked well but can't be done with our 5 men. Coach Jans loved to "ice" the ball screen where the defender guarding the ball handler over plays and forces them to go away from the screen.
                            Last edited by 12eagle; January 1, 2018, 12:45 AM.

• I am somehow entranced into following @noescalators on twitter. And then finding myself swallowed in his immense negativity. My soul can’t take it.

Comment

• Trae Young has more assists then the entire team of U Conn (128 to 121) - amazing.
                            Last edited by Ixiah; December 31, 2017, 04:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X