No announcement yet.

WSU Versus Florida Gulf Coast Predictions and Pregame Discussions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It has to be asst coaches missing. Theses are the same damned players. I will continue to pull for this team but I see a 2nd or 3rd place finish ahead. Shaq seems disinterested, shamet and Shij can't defend a dribble drive, Kelly can't hang onto the ball and brown can't defend me. I hope you can all ridicule me later but I'm pretty damned sure I wasted $100 on the Shockers in Vegas. Oh yeah, I'm drunk but that doesn't change that I'm right. Flame away
    One quick note before we present the rankings: With Wichita State’s move to the American Athletic Conference, the Shockers have moved out of the mid-major club. We wish the Shockers well against Cincinnati, UConn, SMU, and more.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

Did Gregg pass your stroke test tonight?
      gave away our tickets. Had a Christms at a house that did not have CBSSportsline, so........I dunno

Comment

• If we can pull off a win at Uconn all will be fine as the schedule sets up nicely after that for a
        good run. Once MM gets more into playing shape and CF's shot comes back like it did last
        year we will look like a different team. Once again, our guards are driven by to easily and
        our big guys are out on the perimeter somewhere instead of protecting the rim. I'd rather get
        beat by a center shooting 17 footers than a guard consistently driving to the basket without a
        big there to help out. They also pick up silly fouls away from the basket too often. I did like
        our intensity tonight but gotta play smarter. Need to start the AAC off on a positive note !

Comment

• Look at players as a couple of types. Passive, Aggressive, and Somewhere in Between. Put Baker, VanVleet, and Hall into the Aggressive category. Who do the Shox have this year that could be considered "Aggressive". I can think of a couple I'd consider "Passive".
          The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
          We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by AndShock View Post
            We need to stop pretending that we played (and struggled against a super tough schedule). None of our buy games are the best team in their conference according to KenPom. 0. Gregg has said it, Mike Kennedy said, some on this board has said it. Our schedule is projected to be around the 90 non-con SoS and it’s dropping basically every day.

That’s not to say that the teams we played are pitiful. They’re decent, solid buy games. But it wasn’t the gauntlet it was projected to be before the season started.
            Fine. But if you're willing to trust kenPom to assess the teams we have played, it is only logical to trust kenPom to assess our team. Which, at #9, does not match the doom and gloom around here.

Comment

• Anyone catch Marshall’s post game comments? Anything in particular stick out during the post game interviews?

Comment

• I still believe we can back off the pressure thirty feet from the rim. It isn’t helping our defense and it sure provides lots of opportunities for the opposing offense.

I am ready for a three guard line up. The time to be split between LS, SHJ, CF and AR.

The four will will be the MM and RK show.

The five will be the DW and SM show.

Coach has this figured out for offense, but still believes he needs ZB for defense. I am ready to use ZB in spot minutes only. Pretty much the Demetric Williams role from the Final Four team. I really like the kid and believe he will come through big at the right time, but the team plays better over long stretches without him.

Comment

• WichitaStateGuy
                  WichitaStateGuy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Dear God, yes. Three guard, please.

• Shoxthemonkey
                  Shoxthemonkey commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I told a friend tonight that I wanted to see more 3 guard lineups but I don't see a Tekele among them so I'm not sure it matters. The inability to stop dribble drives is troubling.

• We got out scored by 20 in seventeen minutes surrounding halftime. That means we ourscored them by 30 in the beginning and ending 23 minutes.

It it seemed to me that at least half or more of those minus 20 came on what I’ll call scramble points. We lose a rmishandle a rebound and it pops out to them for a three. A loose ball lands fortuitously in their hands for a wide open layup. Points not really the result of poor defense, more the result of luck of the bounce or careless ball handling. Where is Wessel?
                "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                ---------------------------------------
                Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• Originally posted by WichitaStateGuy View Post
                  Anyone catch Marshall’s post game comments? Anything in particular stick out during the post game interviews?
                  You can catch him and markis with Mike Kennedy here. The link to their videos are at the top

WICHITA, Kan. – Landry Shamet scored a game-high 23 points, and No. 11/11 Wichita State wrapped up non-conference play Friday evening with a 75-65 win over Florida Gulf Coast.
                  "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

• Originally posted by im4wsu View Post
                    We got out scored by 20 in seventeen minutes surrounding halftime. That means we ourscored them by 30 in the beginning and ending 23 minutes.

It it seemed to me that at least half or more of those minus 20 came on what I’ll call scramble points. We lose a rmishandle a rebound and it pops out to them for a three. A loose ball lands fortuitously in their hands for a wide open layup. Points not really the result of poor defense, more the result of luck of the bounce or careless ball handling. Where is Wessel?
                    I agree with this.. every bounce seemed to end directly to a FGCU player. We obviously could have done better, just had to laugh. I think it was late 2nd half. We block a shot, it comes down, hits a player in the knee, goes 90 degrees to the right only to hit a FGCU player directly in the chest and he gets an easy 2 points

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                      I'm thinking that some of the players aren't as excited and energized to be playiong the game as they were before this year.
                      I'm with you on this , same team less effort .

Comment

• I've never been a fan of past vs present comparisons.. But in this awkward season, who would you count on to close out the season, aspire to post season expectations? Graham Hatch or Zach Brown? Just a thought.

Comment

• I think that I'm beginning to think that anyone who reads this board immediately loses 5 IQ points and when one posts, they like we another 5 IQ points.BEWARE

Comment

• forevershockerfan
                            forevershockerfan commented
                            Editing a comment
                            i Can't afford to lose 5 because that might put me on the negatory side AND SCRAMBLE MY PEA BRAIN and I would not seem so smat no mo. MUHAHA.

10-2 did get ugly at times. Right now, I'll take ugly as long as we win and learn. Sure, if we were peaking early, we could be 12-0, even without Duff. On the other hand, the Shocks are still in the search mode and fought back from being a potential 7-5 which also could have happened in brutal fashion.

I'm not worried that 3G will get us clicking. How long? Dunno, but there is plenty of games left to play. We have 6 Seniors, we have Duff back, we didn't lose 2 games to the Pac-12, and maybe we are saving our very best for last when it counts the most? Who was that team that just beat mighty North Carolina? Can't remember, but it shows that in College hoops, teams better show up to play, or get it handed to them and go home with no eggs in their beer.!!!

There!!! Here are some of my eternal Shocker optimistic, unsolicited opinions free of charge and now I feel all cheery. How will it all pan out for our beloved Shocks in our new and improved Conference? Stay tuned for the ride of our Shocker life!!!!!!!

• Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post

Fine. But if you're willing to trust kenPom to assess the teams we have played, it is only logical to trust kenPom to assess our team. Which, at #9, does not match the doom and gloom around here.
                          We’ve gone from 4 to 9 in a week and are getting worse each game. I think the doom and gloom will stop as soon as the free fall stops. A win @ UCONN might even be enough to stop the doom and gloom even with a poor KenPom performance.

Comment

• Is it not rare these days to have a highly ranked and respected program that is so SENIOR HEAVY??? Think of the bluebloods. Are they senior heavy (ever)???

Other teams and coaches (that are paid well) craft their skills and implement game plans from tons of video footage yes??? Would it not be beneficial to have a years (or more) worth of material to digest the opposing teams players strengths and weaknesseses??? Especially if that was your "super bowl" in the OOC schedule???

We may well have some internal issues....but by now...you better believe the opposition knows that.

Senior heavy is an awesome problem to have...but easier to game plan for. You know what your going against and what to look for.

Video doesn't always lie....
                            FINAL FOURS:
                            1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                            1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                            Number of Times Ranked: 157
                            Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                            Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                            Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                            #3 - Dec. 2017
                            #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                            #2 ~ March 2014
                            Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Working...
                            X