2017-18 Games of Interest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by shock-it-to-me View Post
    Am I the only one who thinks they call on Shammet was actually a good one? If so, fine, but to me it looked like the taller Temple player was set right under the basket for the rebound and Landry came in late and basically hip checked him 10 feet out of bounds. He was never between the player and the basket
    I actually thought it was a legitimate but marginal foul call. Shamet did hip check him. It was an aggressive box out that may have crossed the line. The size of the players is immaterial. Landry had the leverage on him which enabled him to move a bigger player. Yet, I was surprised they would make that call. Usually a smaller player is gonna get the benefit of the doubt on those. That stuff happens all the time, and to call it was a case of over-officiating to me. It better be more egregious than that to make that call. But to say it was a completely phantom call is wrong too. You can box out. You can't push the guy out of bounds. After saying all that, I wouldn't have called it.
    It kind of goes to the debate of should officials call games differently in crunch time than the rest of the game. I don't think so, but I think that would have been a pretty cheap call any time. I do hate the theory that refs should swallow their whistles late in games "to let the players decide the game." By not making legitimate calls late in games, refs are deciding games just as much as if they blew the whistle. They're just deciding it for the team that deserves it.
    Last edited by Zubcut; February 3, 2018, 03:07 PM.

Comment

• ShockdaWorld
      ShockdaWorld commented
      Editing a comment
      Consistency needs to exist. That “foul” happens and doesn’t get called all day until that moment. That’s pretty much the definition of inconsistency. Btw, in case it sounds otherwise, I’m agreeing with you.

• Originally posted by Zubcut View Post
    I actually thought it was a legitimate but marginal foul call. Shamet did hip check him. It was an aggressive box out that may have crossed the line. The size of the players is immaterial. Yet, at that point in the game, I was surprised they would make that call. That stuff happens all the time, and to call it at that point in a tie game in OT was a case of over-officiating to me. It better be more egregious than that to make that call. But to say it was a completely phantom call is wrong too. You can box out. You can't push the guy out of bounds. Landry had the leverage on him which enabled him to move a bigger player. After saying all that, I wouldn't have called it.
    Does anybody have the video? My old feeble brain can't recreate the details.
    "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
    ---------------------------------------
    Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
    "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
    "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• Originally posted by im4wsu View Post

Does anybody have the video? My old feeble brain can't recreate the details.

Last edited by 1979Shocker; February 3, 2018, 03:48 PM.

Comment

• ShockTalk
        ShockTalk commented
        Editing a comment
        Looks to me like a foul. If it hadn't been right in front of the ref, it might not get called. LS basically drove his man (who had position) from the top of the small arc, under the basket, out of the lane, and out of bounds where the ref was standing.

• Originally posted by im4wsu View Post
      Outrebounded 41-28.

The Shocks out rebounded OSU in Stillwater 36-26
      It's times like this I really miss Shaqness. Hi Shaqness! Oh wait, he probably won't check back in for a week or so, cuz you know he's been following the last 2 days, when taking a break from the phog that is.

I absolutely have pointed to the Shockers wins in Waco & Stillwater as games that will mean a lot in March. I'm sticking boldly by that claim.

Comment

• KU loses at home to OSU
        Baylor up onISU by 10 2nd half

Comment

• It was nice to see the Flagship cough up another game at home. That at least salvaged the weekend for me.
          Deuces Valley.
          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• That's 15 straight for Coach Forbes and ETSU. 12-0 and 21-4. They've got a 3 game road swing, VMI and then #2 UNCG and Western Carolina before ending the regular season with 3 at home.

Way to go Steve!

Comment

• I was starting to get worried but then I saw temples RPI and then I saw a bunch more ranked teams lose to worse teams today, headlined by Duke.

Temple is #40. Technically that game was the other most likely road loss along with the Houston or Cincinnati road games. What hurts the most is that it was extremely winnable, but losing to #40 on the road isn’t that surprising.

temples record makes them look like a bad loss but they really aren’t at all. Other ranked teams are losing to much lower RPI teams today.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dave Stalwart View Post
                I was starting to get worried but then I saw temples RPI and then I saw a bunch more ranked teams lose to worse teams today, headlined by Duke.

Temple is #40. Technically that game was the other most likely road loss along with the Houston or Cincinnati road games. What hurts the most is that it was extremely winnable, but losing to #40 on the road isn’t that surprising.

temples record makes them look like a bad loss but they really aren’t at all. Other ranked teams are losing to much lower RPI teams today.
                Not sure what kenpom had, but the ESPN app had the @Temple game only roughly 60/40 likelihood win in our favor. Long, long ways from a sure thing.

Now the way in which we lost...

Comment

• I believe that 6 Top 25 teams lost today: 4 Duke, 7 Kansas, 9 Arizona, 12 Oklahoma, 21 Kentucky, and 23 Florida.

6 Xavier and 24 Michigan won in OT and 4 more Top 25 games were in doubt late.

Comment

• The losses by 21 and 23 give me a bit of hope that we might stay in the polls. I hope we can, it’s a lot easier to make the climb from 23-25ish back to a high ranking than coming from unranked, even though there is only a marginal difference in votes.
                    Brummett throws, STRUCK HIM OUT! THE SHOCKERS ARE NATIONAL CHAMPIONS! AN UNBELIEVABLE STORY!

Comment

• really nice to see ku get throttled at home by okie state, a shocker victim, especially after that circle jerk on phognet post temple game.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dave Stalwart View Post
                        I was starting to get worried but then I saw temples RPI and then I saw a bunch more ranked teams lose to worse teams today, headlined by Duke.

Yah, but it'd be really nice to win one of those games. We have zero Tier 1 wins. That needs to change in a hurry now that we've added a few losses to the resume. I hope that game really doesn't come back to bite us.

Thankfully, we have plenty of Tier 1 games left but how confident are we in winning them?
                        @ Cincy, @ SMU, @ UCF(who knows if they stay Top 75, at 72 right now), vs. Cincy.

Eek. MUST have 1 of those; preferably two.
                        Deuces Valley.
                        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by another shocker View Post
                          really nice to see ku get throttled at home by okie state, a shocker victim, especially after that circle jerk on phognet post temple game.

They only post about WSU when they're losing. It's always crickets over there when we're winning. It's hilarious.

Karma SUCKS. Enjoy the meltdown, losers.
                          Deuces Valley.
                          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Remember when ku beat Wichita State?

Yeah, pretty much every Walmart t-shirt wearing douchenozzle chickenhawk fan can't either.

Comment

• 60Shock
                              60Shock commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Hey, Doc, it was a century ago and I see no reason to mention the score.

• DUShock
                              DUShock commented
                              Editing a comment
                              That's okay Doc, they will be wearing Shocker gear after KU's first weekend loss to a Valley or Horizon League school.
                              https://media2.giphy.com/media/qmfpjpAT2fJRK/giphy.gif

• Kung Wu
                              Kung Wu commented
                              Editing a comment
                              I'm specifically liking that because of "douchenozzle".
                          Working...
                          X