Gregg Marshall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by El_Wu View Post
    What the hell is wrong with some of these posters on SN. Freaking GM has done a whole lot better than those other coaches. And they want to throw him under the bus. They also forgot that he coached a nobody by the name of Fred Vanvleet into the top PG for the NBA with a championship ring. Wake up ppl. Once he realizes that some fans are stupid and get tired of their whining little asses he might just say f that. Or he gets a hell of a good offer from a P5 school. Or just retires.. Some ppl in here will be cheering and happy and then when things aren't going well they are going to bring the torches again, like the song goes "Don't know what you got, til its gone".

Really, now. How far do I have to take this to get some kind of ban. I've got offers out there. I mean, who isn't entering the transfer portal at this point? LOL.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShock Reaper View Post
      Here are some "unsuccessful" coaches as would be defined by some Shockernet posters:

SEAN MILLER, Arizona
      Career Record: 405–147, 73.4%, in 16 seasons (5 at Xavier and 11 at Arizona)
      NIT Tournament: 1 tourney
      NCAA Tournament: 11 tourneys (4 at Xavier, 7 at Arizona)
      NCAA Final Four: 0

CHRIS MACK, Louisville
      Career Record: 256-115, 69.0%, in 12 seasons (10 at Xavier and 2 at Louisville)
      NIT Tournament: 0
      NCAA Tournament: 9 tourneys (8 at Xavier, 1 at Louisville)

MIKE BREY, Notre Dame
      Career Record: 536–285, 65.3%), in 24 seasons at (5 at Delaware and 19 at Notre Dame)
      NIT Tournament: 6 tourneys, 1 final four
      NCAA Tournament: 14 tourneys (2 at Delaware, 12 at Notre Dame)

MATT PAINTER, Purdue
      Career Record: 362–179, 66.9%, in 15 seasons, (1 at Southern Illinois and 14 at Purdue)
      NCAA Tournament: 12 tourneys (1 at Southern Illinois, 11 at Purdue)

BUZZ WILLIAMS, Texas A&M
      Career Record: 268-169, 61.4%, in 13 seasons, (1 at New Orleans, 6 at Marquette, 5 at Virginia Tech, and 1 at Texas A&M)
      NCAA Tournament: 8 tourneys (5 at Marquette, 3 at Virginia Tech)

GREGG MARSHAL, Wichita State
      Career Record: 522–202, 72.1%, in 22 seasons 9 at Winthrop and 13 at Wichita State
      NIT Tournament: 3 tourneys, 2 final fours, 2011 Champions
      NCAA Tournament: 13 Tourneys (6 at Winthrop, 7 at Wichita State)
      NCAA Final Four: 1 (2013)
      I'd take Marshall over anybody else on that list!

Comment

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post
        … and ole '76 wants to throw a dead horse on him...
        Oof, he's only one win away now!

Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

• Until someone comes up with enough money to restart the football program,. Marshall is our coach.

It would take $22.5 nill to buy him out. It would probably take the difference between $22.5 and 40 to convince the AD to pull the trigger. So, unless you've got the $40 mill and are willing to donate it to the WSU athletic department, Marshall is going to be here and he's going to challenge players. There can be criticism of Marshall. Gasp! He's not perfect!

Past that, you can support Marshall or you can support the players who left the program. Marshall is still going to be here, whether you like him or not. The players who left the program are not going to be here, whether you liked them or not.
          The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
          We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• The best coaches I ever had were the mean harsh and truthful ones. If you are tough , you man up and don’t take it personal.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ashockalypse View Post
              The best coaches I ever had were the mean harsh and truthful ones. If you are tough , you man up and don’t take it personal.
              It’s like Gordon Gekko said:

”If you need a friend, get a dog”
              The Assman

Comment

• Gregg Marshall led us to a Final FOUR. We were only defeated by a scandalous, CHEATING Louisville program THAT ENDED UP WINNING THE NC. They won it fairly easily I might add, once they got lucky to get past the Shocks. Gregg Marshall was coaching that team.

He followed it up with an undefeated season. And KENTUCKY played OUT OF THEIR MINDS, and the best game of all their lives to beat us. They marched all the way to the NC game WITHOUT their NBA center, Cauley-Stein. They had Cauley-Stein available against us. So they were at FULL strength and played the game of their lives, and ended up being one of the best NCAA games of ALL TIME.

He recruits / DEVELOPS NBA talent here. The program has a reputation for honesty, hard work, morals, and success done the RIGHT WAY.

They program has faced a ton of adversity. Players leave early for the NBA, during a tough time for the Shockers to transition to a MUCH tougher conference.

Yet this year we were 15-1 until cancer infected the locker room (it's not hard to see where that originated from, in retrospect). If not for the Coronavirus, we likely would've ended up back in the NCAA tournament.

The program has overcome a monumental amount, and Gregg Marshall was at the helm the whole time.

Yea let's fire the guy.

Comment

• In the spirit of keeping up with new tradition, I bet Gregg will be here until Fred is ready to be a head coach at his old alma mater ;)
                  The Assman

Comment

• He was a brilliant hire, has been a great coach, and likely will be a Hall of Fame coach.

Comment

• Ranking the 25 Best College Basketball Coaching Hires Since 2000 - Hero Sports

By Andrew Doughty
                      Published on March 21, 2020 at 3:06 PM EDT

https://herosports.com/college-baske...-calipari-ahah

"Of the more than 1,000 Division-I men's basketball coaching hires of this century, which are the best?

This impossibly difficult and arbitrary exercise is not ranking the best coaches hired since 2000. It's ranking the best hires, weighing, among other things, the program's history, state of the program when the coach was hired, expectations, and, of course, the success of the coach....

10. JOHN BEILEIN, Michigan (2007)...
                      9. BILL SELF, Kansas (2003)...
                      8. JOHN CALIPARI, Kentucky (2009)...
                      7. ROY WILLIAMS, North Carolina (2003)...
                      6. SCOTT DREW, Baylor (2003)...
                      5. BO RYAN, Wisconsin (2001)...
                      4. BRAD STEVENS, Butler (2007)...
                      3. GREGG MARSHALL, Wichita State (2007) - Wichita State might have their Mark Few in Gregg Marshall, one of the most sought-after coaches in college basketball who's rejected advances from bigger programs with, arguably, more potential. To Wichita State's credit, their commitment with upgraded facilities and salary bumps for Marshall and his staff have made it easier for the future Hall of Famers to turn down other opportunities.
                      2. JAY WRIGHT, Villanova (2001)...
                      1. TONY BENNETT, Virginia (2009)..."

Comment

• I'm locked in my office, drinking Woodford and trying to avoid contact with anybody, and came across this, posted on another site that is bitching about their coach. It reminded me of somebody.

267K likes, 1,748 comments - espn on March 21, 2020: "Geno explained the importance of body language and enthusiasm in this memorable speech 👏"

I guess I don't know how to embed so you will need to click it. It's well worth it.
                        One quick note before we present the rankings: With Wichita State’s move to the American Athletic Conference, the Shockers have moved out of the mid-major club. We wish the Shockers well against Cincinnati, UConn, SMU, and more.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shoxthemonkey View Post
                          I'm locked in my office, drinking Woodford and trying to avoid contact with anybody, and came across this, posted on another site that is bitching about their coach. It reminded me of somebody.

267K likes, 1,748 comments - espn on March 21, 2020: "Geno explained the importance of body language and enthusiasm in this memorable speech 👏"

I guess I don't know how to embed so you will need to click it. It's well worth it.
                          If you haven't already clicked that link, DO IT NOW. I believe caps lock is warranted in this situation.
                          The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                          We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

I'm locked in my office, drinking Woodford and trying to avoid contact with anybody, and came across this, posted on another site that is bitching about their coach. It reminded me of somebody.

Excellent! Geno nailed it!

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Well, that sounds familiar.

Comment

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post

Excellent! Geno nailed it!

Comment

Working...
                                X