2010 NCAA tourney

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Fact is, no one on any committee would ever take two teams from Valley baseball. It's truly turning into the Valley of Death.
      Slightly disagree. We win 2 more games - and/or maybe don't get snowed out vs Wash St games 2 and 3 and KU in February- and they take would have taken two Valley teams this year.

Ill St is legitimate and apparently respected as shown by their 3 seed with a not so great overall record. The fact they are focusing on baseball as shown by their strong coaching staff and new facilities bodes well for the future. CU and Mo St will be better next year as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Hill Sitter

Ill St is legitimate and apparently respected as shown by their 3 seed with a not so great overall record.
        No. 82 ISU 3 seed is not about respect, but is just out of necessity. ISU is the lowest 3 seed team and got lucky when the NCAA ran out of 4 seeds.

100 Lamar
        104 Bethune Cookman
        111 Minnesota
        132 Mercer
        134 ORU
        137 Rider
        141 Va Common.
        146 Darthmouth
        191 Central Conn.
        204 STL
        208 Wis-Milw
        210 Stony brook
        217 Bucknell
        251 Jax-State
        275 Grambling

Comment

This was my favorite question:

Paul (Fresno): Do you think the RPI holds too much weight? Does the formula need adjusting? Fresno State won the regular season crown, went 20-8 away from home, finished 12-5 down the stretch. In 2008, the Bulldogs RPI was 89 going into the tourney, still only 46 AFTER they won the national title. Doesn't that indicate the RPI isn't a true indication of a team's worth? Should a 9th-place team from the ACC and 8th-place from the Pac-10 really get in ahead of them? Tim Weiser: The RPI is but one factor in the committee's analysis of teams in the selection process. To use an analogy, the RPI is like good pitching on a baseball team: while important, a team also needs good hitting and defense to be successful. Likewise, the committee relies heavily on input of the head coaches on Regional Advisory Committees and other nuggets of information. The performance of teams like Fresno State and Southern Miss in recent years is why the committee labors so long into the night to determine those final at-large selections in the championship.

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock

Ill St is legitimate and apparently respected as shown by their 3 seed with a not so great overall record.
            No. 82 ISU 3 seed is not about respect, but is just out of necessity. ISU is the lowest 3 seed team and got lucky when the NCAA ran out of 4 seeds.

100 Lamar
            104 Bethune Cookman
            111 Minnesota
            132 Mercer
            134 ORU
            137 Rider
            141 Va Common.
            146 Darthmouth
            191 Central Conn.
            204 STL
            208 Wis-Milw
            210 Stony brook
            217 Bucknell
            251 Jax-State
            275 Grambling
            hmmm...who's the 16th #4 seed? I guess if I had paid any attention to all those auto bids I wouldn't have thought anything of ISU's #3 seed. When you have that many bad RPI teams I guess the best of the worst moves up.

Comment

Originally posted by martymoose
              Originally posted by SB Shock

100 Lamar
              104 Bethune Cookman
              111 Minnesota
              132 Mercer
              134 ORU
              137 Rider
              141 Va Common.
              146 Darthmouth
              191 Central Conn.
              204 STL
              208 Wis-Milw
              210 Stony brook
              217 Bucknell
              251 Jax-State
              275 Grambling
              hmmm...who's the 16th #4 seed? I guess if I had paid any attention to all those auto bids I wouldn't have thought anything of ISU's #3 seed. When you have that many bad RPI teams I guess the best of the worst moves up.
              107 Kent State

Comment

Jacksonville St. at #87 would also be a #3 seed.

Wow I didn't realize this either. That many sub 80 rpi teams making the dance means that there were evern fewer slots for bubble teams.

Comment

Hawaii at #76 and Southern Miss at #66 would also be 3 seeds.

This is unbelievable.

Comment

Originally posted by shox1989
                    Hawaii at #76 and Southern Miss at #66 would also be 3 seeds.

This is unbelievable.
                    yep, no open spots for teams like us...oh well, let's get back to hosting then we don't have to worry.

Comment

I feel like I am in the bizarro world tonight.

I woke up this morning in Topeka reading the Topeka Capital Journal (we can't get the Eagle in Topeka anymore). I thought there would be an article somewhere in the paper about Kstate's baseball regional (since Topeka is less than an hour away from Manhattan and is in basically Kstate country).

But there was no article at all anywhere today in the Topeka Capital Journal about Kstate's baseball regional (I guess they decided to wait until tomorrow to say anything).

I drive back to Wichita tonight, open up the Wichita Eagle expecting to read about where the Shocker baseball players are playing summer ball or next season or something about Shocker baseball and lo and behold there is not only an article about the Kstate regional but it is on the front page of the sports section with a huge color picture.

I guess they don't care about Kstate baseball in KSU country but we suppose to care about it a lot down here. Doesn't make a lot of sense.

Comment

Working...
                      X