X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shox1989
    Originally posted by ShockerFever
    Originally posted by Hill Sitter
    This is not an argument one way or another in the at-large discussion, but other than those teams with single digit losses just about EVERY team has numerous 'bad' losses. This is the case every year.
    It seems like one to me..

Care to compare a resume of an obvious at-large participant and WSU? If you don't like the "LOTS" of bad losses argument, you can try the lack of quality wins one.
    Actually here's a comparison. The Citadel is squarely in (using Kendall's projection- he has them as a 3 seed and does not list them as receiving their conference auto bid or as one of his last 5 in).

According to Warren Nolan, the Citadel has one quality win (they are 1-8 against the rpi top 50) and TWO BAD loses (they are 13-2 against the rpi sub 200 teams).

WSU on the other had is 3-5 against the rpi top 50 and 9-1 against the sub 200 teams (one bad loss).

Both WSU and the Citadel are 9-1 in their last 10 games. The Citadel has a 38-20 (.655) record against division 1 teams, WSU is 35-18 (.661) The one area where the Citadel has a big advantage over WSU is rpi. Their rpi is 35 and ours is 56.

The Citadel is basically being rewarded in the rpi for playing a tough schedule even though they lost nearly all of their tough games.

Again I am not saying I think we are in at this point, but all of the bubble teams have their issues. One thing going for WSU is our strong finish, many bubble teams are like 6-4 or 4-6 in their last 10 games.
    The thing is you have put more thought and reseach into this than kendal ever will. The better projections to watch is SE Baseball and BA.

Comment

Granted, a little old (May 18th), but I think I like Rivals better than SE Baseball:

Comment

Originally posted by Veritas
        Granted, a little old (May 18th), but I think I like Rivals better than SE Baseball:
        http://sebaseball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1085379
        That may be so, but SE Baseball is put together by people that actually know a little more about baseball. Kendall not so much.

Comment

SB is spot on. Mark knows baseball, and he REALLY knows baseball south of the mason-dixon.

Kendall propped himself up years ago as a Big 12 expert. His knowledge of that conference (which is supposed to be his forte) has always been spotty at best. He always showed an absurd bias to the Texas teams in the league at the expense of the other members.

His IQ on anything outside of the Big 12 is pitiful.

Comment

Getting a little attention: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/colle...l/usatpoll.htm

Comment

Not for nothing, but we've seen examples where teams were punished come tournament time because of injuries.

It only stands to reason that they could look at another team and say, yeah with their healthy starter back, this is a tournament team.

Now, I don't for a minute think they will apply that thinking to to WSU, but if it was a Texas or Arizona State etc.......

Comment

Thanks for the link:

Were number 33!

Comment

Just messing around on the internet this evening, I found this.

ESPN College Baseball Blog:
                  Fayetteville Regional
                  • 1- Arkansas
                    2- Kansas State
                    3- California
                    4- Wichita State

Random Blog Found on Google:
                  Fort Worth Regional
                  • 1-TCU (Mountain West auto)
                    2-Arizona (Pac-10)
                    3-Baylor (Big XII)
                    4-Wichita State (MVC auto)

Comment

well WSU climbed up to No. 8 in the Mid-major poll

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock
                      well WSU climbed up to No. 8 in the Mid-major poll

yuck! I can't believe they have a mid-major poll for baseball too.

Comment

WSU is # 1 ranked team in the midwest according to this poll:

Comment

http://www.pingbaseball.com/rankings...ion_result.php

WOW! I really like that poll. They have has ranked two places higher than Kstate (#1 vs. #3)

Comment

Originally posted by shox1989

http://www.pingbaseball.com/rankings...ion_result.php

WOW! I really like that poll. They have has ranked two places higher than Kstate (#1 vs. #3)
                            The talent pool is pretty thin. You're already at sub .500 teams by the 13th ranked team.

Comment

Kendall's thoughts on the MVC tourney:

MISSOURI VALLEY TOURNAMENT

Why to watch: In not exactly a surprise, Wichita State once again is the top seed in the conference tournament. The Shockers also are hosting the tourney. Interestingly, the Shockers tied for the regular-season crown with surprising Illinois State. WSU and ISU certainly lead the way this week, but Indiana State and Southern Illinois are more than capable of recording a few wins this week.

Leading the charge: The Shockers are at home and once again are expected to win the tournament title. The Shockers once again have a solid pitching staff with starters Jordan Cooper and Tim Kelley leading the way. They also have done an OK job at the plate at times this season with a .297 batting average. Overall, though, the home field advantage will be in Wichita State’s favor throughout the week.

Don’t be surprised if: Illinois State wins the tournament title. The Redbirds didn’t earn the top seed in the tourney because they lost the regular-season series to Wichita State. However, they are a very solid club. Kevin Tokarski is a phenomenal hitter and gives opponents something to think about on the mound. The pitching staff needs to do a better job this week to earn the automatic bid. Illinois State enters the tourney with an overall record of 26-22.

Postseason picture: Wichita State could make an NCAA postseason appearance without winning the tournament title, but that still is unlikely with just a 3-5 record against RPI Top 50 teams and an RPI of 57. That means the Missouri Valley likely will be a one-bid league barring a mild surprise.

Comment

Kendall released his latest NCAA projections today:

We're projected as a #4 seed in the Norman regional.
                                1. Oklahoma
                                4. Wichita State*
                                2. Oregon
                                3. Louisiana-Lafayette

Comment

Working...
                                X