Countdown to a 40-win season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Countdown to a 40-win season

Looks like the Shox are going to get another 40-win season. The Shox are at 32 wins right now with 7 regular-season games and the Valley tournament - all in Wichita.
    If the Shox win 5 of 7 games against MSU (3 games), ORU (1 game) and Dallas Baptist (3 games) they should be in good shape to win 40 by taking the Valley tourney.
    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

So reaching 40 wins and winning the Valley Tourney would put us at about a 3 seed?

Comment

Originally posted by martymoose
      So reaching 40 wins and winning the Valley Tourney would put us at about a 3 seed?
      I'd rather wsu go as a 4 seed. Wsu would have a better chance beating a no 1 with cooper in the first round.

Has anybody heard more on Lowell?

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock
        I'd rather wsu go as a 4 seed. Wsu would have a better chance beating a no 1 with cooper in the first round.

I'd rather be a 1 seed actually... I think we would have a better chance beating a 4 seed.

Comment

I'd rather be a 1 seed actually... I think we would have a better chance beating a 4 seed.
          I wish wsu had a 1 seed quality team.

Comment

only 29 D1 wins

Comment

I wish wsu had a 1 seed quality team.
              Obviously! :D

Back to my original point....I was asking/saying would we likely be a #3 seed if we have 40+ wins and win the Valley Tournament...not what other seed we would rather be.

Comment

I think it would be a toss up between a 3 and 4 seed if we end up topping 40 wins and winning the MVC Tournament. Right now our RPI is 64 and I'm guessing that we'd need to get into the low to mid 50's before we would be considered for a 3 seed. This is a lot to ask, but if we can sweep MSU, beat ORU and then take 2 of 3 from Dallas Baptist then win the tournament I think we'll be a 3 seed. Anything less than that and we would be a 4 seed if we won the tournament.

Comment

Originally posted by Ta town
                  only 29 D1 wins
                  Exactly. And it's a big IF to assume that we can sweep MSU, win against ORU given our pathetic history with them and DBU won't be easy as well.

Comment

Re: Countdown to a 40-win season

Originally posted by Aargh
                    Looks like the Shox are going to get another 40-win season. The Shox are at 32 wins right now with 7 regular-season games and the Valley tournament - all in Wichita.
                    If the Shox win 5 of 7 games against MSU (3 games), ORU (1 game) and Dallas Baptist (3 games) they should be in good shape to win 40 by taking the Valley tourney.

That is actually very doable. It would be nice to see the Shox win 40 games again.

Comment

Anybody consider the notion that we could possibly get a #2 seed if we win out? That would be a 14 game win streak that might possibly get the NCAA's attention to consider it.

Comment

There is no way we get a 2-seed. I think we can only lose one or possibly two games over the remainder of the season including the Valley Tournament to even be a 3-seed. Our RPI is too high and we don't have enough quality wins to break into the 2-seed range.

Comment

Originally posted by shocks771
                          There is no way we get a 2-seed. I think we can only lose one or possibly two games over the remainder of the season including the Valley Tournament to even be a 3-seed. Our RPI is too high and we don't have enough quality wins to break into the 2-seed range.
                          Agreed...ZERO chance of a #2 seed. If we were to win out we'd still probably wouldn't be ranked. Of our remaining games all, including the MVC tourney, will be against 100+ RPI teams with exception of ISU who is currently #89...and that's assuming ISU makes it to the championship game.

Comment

Originally posted by Mattman Shocker Loyalist
                            Anybody consider the notion that we could possibly get a #2 seed if we win out? That would be a 14 game win streak that might possibly get the NCAA's attention to consider it.
                            A two seed should be top 16 to 32 team in the nation. Like other have said there is no way WSU can get there from where they are at.

If WSU wins the MVC tournament I think they will be a #3 seed (due to mainly reputation). If WSU doesn't win the MVC tournament they will be a 5 seed.

If WSU gets into the regionals I hope they are a 4-seed for several reasons:

1. They would be considered a strong 4 seed and thus would get a weaker number 1

2. WSU has a better chance of beating a No. 1 in the first game with their best pitcher than any other game.

3. Maybe it will put a chip on WSU shoulder once more to prove they actually belong.

Comment

A two seed should be top 16 to 32 team in the nation. Like other have said there is no way WSU can get there from where they are at.

If WSU wins the MVC tournament I think they will be a #3 seed (due to mainly reputation). If WSU doesn't win the MVC tournament they will be a 5 seed.

If WSU gets into the regionals I hope they are a 4-seed for several reasons:

1. They would be considered a strong 4 seed and thus would get a weaker number 1

2. WSU has a better chance of beating a No. 1 in the first game with their best pitcher than any other game.

3. Maybe it will put a chip on WSU shoulder once more to prove they actually belong.
                              I can't disagree with any of your points.

Not only all that, but no matter how optimistic people remain about this team, there are still far too many chinks in the armor for a rational person the believe they can do much better than probably 5-2 in the remaining games: there are 3-4 spots in the batting order that are not producing consistently; starting pitching (other than Cooper) has escaped disaster a few times recently; and, the 'pen just can't slam the door.

40 wins might be a worthy goal, but there is no trophy for that. As SB said, win the MVC tournament and get in, otherwise a #5 seed is available.

--'85.
                              Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Comment

Working...
                              X