Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shocker3
    Originally posted by KC Shox
    34-18. So unless we make a deep run and all the way into the SR's. This won't be a 40 win season.
    All wins count in your record. The only time division 1 wins only count is for calculating the rpi.

If we used your standard, WSU probably wouldn't have had their first 40 win season until the 1990s.

WSU played LOTS of non-division 1 games each year in the 70s and 80s. They played so many games during some of those years that they might have hit 40 division 1 games one or two years anyway, but most of those years they definitely did not. :wsu_posters:
    What may have happened in the 70's and 80's is irrelevant now. Things have changed. The fact is NCAA doesn't consider non-Div I in your record and I believe there is a penalty if you exceed a certain number of games against non-Div I opponents.

When WSU didn't make the regional in 2001 during the NCAA Q&A Kennedy asked the question about WSU and remarked they were the first 40 win team to not make it, the NCAA quickly responded that WSU didn't have 40 Div I wins (it was like either 38 or 39 IIRC).

Comment

34 wins right now.........

Wins haven't mattered for about a month and a half now. WSU has to win the valley tourney period.

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock
        The fact is NCAA doesn't consider non-Div I in your record and I believe there is a penalty if you exceed a certain number of games against non-Div I opponents.
        I would assume there is no penalty considering we didn't have any non D1 games scheduled before the season. All 3 were in place of cancelled games.

Comment

Originally posted by shocker3
          Originally posted by KC Shox
          34-18. So unless we make a deep run and all the way into the SR's. This won't be a 40 win season.
          All wins count in your record. The only time division 1 wins only count is for calculating the rpi.

If we used your standard, WSU probably wouldn't have had their first 40 win season until the 1990s.

WSU played LOTS of non-division 1 games each year in the 70s and 80s. They played so many games during some of those years that they might have hit 40 division 1 games one or two years anyway, but most of those years they definitely did not. :wsu_posters:
          What may have happened in the 70's and 80's is irrelevant now. Things have changed. The fact is NCAA doesn't consider non-Div I in your record and I believe there is a penalty if you exceed a certain number of games against non-Div I opponents.

When WSU didn't make the regional in 2001 during the NCAA Q&A Kennedy asked the question about WSU and remarked they were the first 40 win team to not make it, the NCAA quickly responded that WSU didn't have 40 Div I wins (it was like either 38 or 39 IIRC).

The rpi penalty only kicks in if you exceed 4 non-division 1 games a year. WSU has never played more than 4 non-division 1 games in a season since the rpi penalty went into effect.

As long as you play 4 or fewer they have absolutely no effect on your rpi.

The ncaa still considers non-division 1 wins part of your overall record, the only time they don't consider it is for figuring your rpi. This is true in basketball as well.

Most division 1 baseball teams play a few non-division 1 games a year. It is the nature of the beast. With weather, travel and playing so many games a year it is almost impossible for most teams to avoid.

In basketball I think the opposite is probably true. While WSU did play one non-division 1 game this year in Basketball and a few teams do each year, I do not believe it is the norm like it is for most baseball teams.

:wsu_posters:

Comment

SB-

As far as the Kennedy comments, when WSU failed to make the 2001 regional, I thought they were very strange at the time. Because his statement was far from true.

WSU alone had already had a few teams get more than 40 wins and NOT make the ncaa tourney (1978, 1979, 1984, 1986). So I am not sure why he even asked that question. I remember it very well and I was very perplexed at the time.

Even though a teams overall record and division 1 record are still listed as official criteria that the baseball selection committee can consider when comparing teams (in addition to rpi and several other factors). At least since the creation of the rpi, a teams overall number of wins don't have anything to do with making the tourney anyway, so the whole question wasn't really relevant.

Comment

Originally posted by martymoose
              The fact is NCAA doesn't consider non-Div I in your record and I believe there is a penalty if you exceed a certain number of games against non-Div I opponents.
              I would assume there is no penalty considering we didn't have any non D1 games scheduled before the season. All 3 were in place of cancelled games.

When you schedule them doesn't matter. The only penalty is in figuring your rpi. As long as you play 4 or fewer games a year against non-division 1 teams, there is no rpi penalty.

Comment

The standard of 40 wins is a good season came about when teams were regularly playing non-D1 opponents. A 40-win season (within the NCAA's guidelines) is considered a good (if not great) season. That's the standard that most programs strive to reach.

WSU fans got accustomed to regular appearances in Omaha, and now can't understand that even in some of the Shox worst years, their number of wins is still something that most D1 programs dream of achieving and never achieve on a regular basis.

Some of the people out here sound like KU basketball fans who seem to think they deserve an E8 team every year because of their value as fans.

WSU is no longer an annual top-20 team. WSU is still putting up W/L records that most college baseball fans can only wish their teams could provide.

Why some people can't enjoy what most consider a great season is beyond me. It seems everything has to be better than great or it's not good enough for them.
                The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh
                  The standard of 40 wins is a good season came about when teams were regularly playing non-D1 opponents. A 40-win season (within the NCAA's guidelines) is considered a good (if not great) season. That's the standard that most programs strive to reach.

WSU fans got accustomed to regular appearances in Omaha, and now can't understand that even in some of the Shox worst years, their number of wins is still something that most D1 programs dream of achieving and never achieve on a regular basis.

Some of the people out here sound like KU basketball fans who seem to think they deserve an E8 team every year because of their value as fans.

WSU is no longer an annual top-20 team. WSU is still putting up W/L records that most college baseball fans can only wish their teams could provide.

Why some people can't enjoy what most consider a great season is beyond me. It seems everything has to be better than great or it's not good enough for them.

good post! :wsu_posters:

Comment

Yeah Good Post Aargh.

Comment

No, GREAT post Aargh! :good: :good:
                      "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh

If you think this was a great season and you enjoyed going out to the ball park then power to you. IMO this will go down as one of the more mediocre season and a struggle to watch/listen to with the inconsistency of a veteran team.

Here is the breakdown by wins of NCAA teams:

There are 13 teams with 40+ wins
                        There are 5 teams with 39 wins
                        There is 1 team with 38 wins
                        There are 3 teams with 37 wins
                        There are 11 teams with 36 wins
                        There are 7 teams with 35 wins

So WSU position with 34 wins hardly put them into where you can consider their year a "great season".

When you consider that they are playing in the 15th ranked conference and that baseball is an afterthought for the MVC and pending today results will likely finish outside of first place for the 4th time in 6 years this is hard to stomach.

Of course this team could change the perception of how this team will be viewed in the history of shocker baseball by what they do in the post-season. If they win the MVC tournament and find a way to go out and win a regional. This will be a team remember as a team who struggled early but came together at the end.

If this team does these things and wins a super regional this team will go down as the team that got WSU back to CWS in 14 years and will be considered one of the greater stories in Shocker history.

Comment

Aargh wrote:

You must be a newcomer to Shocker baseball if you think this this is a great season.

This is better than last year which was the worst in "The Gene era".
                          Let's hope he can hit a D-1 Curve ball!

"God gave us the ability to reason, not religion" http://www.deism.com/

Comment

Why can't we be the next Fresno St?

I had fun this season.

Comment

the season is not over yet, we are playing our best best baseball since 2008 season.
                              Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

By the standards we've become used to this was not a "successful" season. I think it's the second worst of the Stephenson era.

That doesn't mean we can't find things to appreciate. This team isn't as talented as some have been, but this group of players has come back from some performances that could have demoralized the team and taken the wind out of their sails for the season. These yound players fought through that and found a way to keep getting better. Fans should be able to appreciate that.

We can be happy for a bunch of kids who went out, struggled to have fun, and still ended up with a winning record. 37-18 is what it says on goshockers, so that's what I use. These kids won twice as many games as they lost. That's going to be a great memory. I know I can be happy for that.

Yeah, yeah, the season could have been better. There's still things we can find to enjoy.

The Shox are in about the top 17% of college baseball teams in a down year. That says some real positives about the WSU program. We can enjoy that.

Life is short enough without looking for things to hate on. Some people just seem to enjoy looking for the bad and are so busy doing that, that they don't have any time left to look for good thigs. I just think that group is a bunch of sick puppies.

Now, if we had had a losing year, I can see some complaining, but if a .667 W/L % in a down year isn't good enough - move to Austin. You might like the team in that town a little better. I doubt it.
                                The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                                We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Working...
                                X